Friends Don't Let Friends Do Karaoke - Goodbye Universal, Hello Disney (Day 9, Pt 2)

wilma-bride

<<This space intentionally blank>>
Sunday 3rd November - afternoon and evening

So, Wendy and Rich had left us and we weren’t quite sure what to do with ourselves. We wandered around for a bit and then Daniel and I decided to ride One Fish, Two Fish. Gary refused – on the basis that it is now tradition that he not ride it, apparently. Sian also decided she was too grown up so it was just me and my lad.

Goodness knows what I’m going to do when he suddenly decides he’s too cool to be seen with his old Mum.

We decided to venture back into Super Hero Island and came across this fella.

And this one.

Captain America was quite rude actually. Having taken literally ages with the three people before us, who took all nature of combinations of photographs, when my kids went up I took one snap and, as he ushered them away, I asked if I could just take one more as I wasn’t convinced it had come out very well. He just snapped “There ARE people waiting, you know” and literally pushed the kids away from him. I was completely flabbergasted. I am usually the first to defend Universal when others complain about the “lack of Disney feel” and also I am usually the one to disbelieve when someone says something like this, thinking it must be something they said or did to receive that treatment but I have to say, the kids were literally there long enough for me to snap the pic before they were rudely ushered away. It really, really annoyed me. Looking at the picture now, I don’t know whether it’s because I remember how rude he was but I actually think he looks peed off.

Still, not one to let this ruin my day, we continued on to Spiderman. Still an amazing ride, I think the reimagination into HD has added a definite something to this experience. I still prefer it to Forbidden Journey.

Sian wanted to shop for some Marvel souvenirs so she and Gary browsed the shops while Daniel and I had a sneaky Dippin’ Dots – Cookies & Cream flavour.

I am not even sure, to this day, whether Gary and Sian know we had it – I’ll soon find out if either of them read this.

We noticed that Spiderman was present across the road and there was no line so we couldn’t resist paying a visit. Daniel last met Spidey on his first visit in 2008 and it was totally cool – Spidey signed Daniel’s Spiderman t-shirt and told Daniel that he (Spidey) would wear a ‘Daniel’ t-shirt when he was older and was a superhero himself. This time, Daniel being 5 years older, the exchange between the two of them was more grown up but still completely awesome. Spidey rocks!!!

This might be a good time to mention that we bought Universal’s version of the Photopass on this trip. It is called Photo Connect Star Card and cost us $59.95. The bonus for us, as Universal Annual Passholders, is that the Star Card remains valid for the duration of our AP membership, meaning we can use it on our next trip too. A complete bargain, considering we also got two free prints when we bought it.

We decided now might be a good time to leave the park and go back to Royal Pacific to collect our bags and head to Disney. By 4pm, we were in the car and headed to our destination.

Gary dropped us off outside, then went to park the car while we waited in the lobby for him. I checked us in. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful. I loved how the staff name badges had the name, followed by what they are passionate about. It was really cool to look at the badges worn by all the staff members over the next few days, to see what their different passions were. Our rooms (839, 841 and 842) were on the 8th floor, with a lovely view of the Beach Club and waterway between Epcot and Hollywood Studios to the right and the Dolphin to the left.

There was no balcony but this really wasn’t a problem. The rooms were huge and there was so much space. To be honest, a lot of it was wasted space as we barely used the lounge area during our stay. We loved it though and are very excited to be returning in October.

We spent some time unpacking, before deciding we were all pretty hungry. Dinner tonight was at Texas Roadhouse, a firm favourite of ours. We were seated straight away, in a booth at the back of the restaurant. Sian was dismayed that nobody laid her napkin on her lap. We were still missing our servers from the cruise.

We ordered drinks – diet cokes for Gary and Sian, Strawberry lemonade for Daniel and a Georgia Peach for me.

We ordered several dishes to share – far too much food but all of it delicious.

Back at the Swan, feeling very full and uncomfortable, we headed to our respective bedrooms for yet another early night.

Another great day. Universal, although good for rides, just doesn't have the interaction as shown by captain America. Sounds like you had fun though

Tina

I hadn't even read the part under Captain America and I wondered what was wrong with his miserable face! Totally out of character and not on at all! I'd have been fuming!

Spidy looked like fun though :)

Great view from your room. And a big thumbs down to grumpy Captain America!

love the spiderman photo, he is cool! your room at dolphin looks totally amazing.:goodvibes

I am loving your trip report. But I do have a question - Why did you have 3 rooms for the 4 of you??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter