• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Frogs at POR

jasmine91

Mouseketeer
Anyone seen any frogs at POR lately? We were there several years ago (before kids) and would see some on doors and hopping around on sidewalks. My son loves frogs, so I am hoping we will spot some on our upcoming trip in June!

We stayed there in 2018 and 2019 and didn’t see or hear any frogs. Doesn’t mean you won’t though!

Anyone seen any frogs at POR lately? We were there several years ago (before kids) and would see some on doors and hopping around on sidewalks. My son loves frogs, so I am hoping we will spot some on our upcoming trip in June!
We saw frogs Aug 2017. One very confused frog was on the walkway and jumping into the building over and over again, hitting his head on the wall in the same spot each and every time...

We got him into the bushes.

Have seen more gecko's (at least I think they are gecko's looked like the ones on Okinawa) than frogs or toads.

It might depend on how much rain you get. Our first trip, we stayed at CBR and it rained the whole week. I have never seen so many frogs...which was a very bad thing for me and my frog phobia (and the poor people that heard me screaming all the way to my room late at night every time one of the hopped). I don't recall seeing too many frogs on my other trips. I'm not sure if they are just more prevalent at CBR or if it was the rain.

Have seen more gecko's (at least I think they are gecko's looked like the ones on Okinawa) than frogs or toads.

They are geckos, and you probably saw indo-pacific geckos, which are an invasive species in Florida. The geckos you saw in Okinawa were most likely house geckos, at least that's what we primarily saw when we lived in Okinawa.

They are geckos, and you probably saw indo-pacific geckos, which are an invasive species in Florida. The geckos you saw in Okinawa were most likely house geckos, at least that's what we primarily saw when we lived in Okinawa.
On Okinawa I saw locals with little cages raising them as pets. In the barracks almost every room had one. They kept the insects out.

It might depend on how much rain you get. Our first trip, we stayed at CBR and it rained the whole week. I have never seen so many frogs...which was a very bad thing for me and my frog phobia (and the poor people that heard me screaming all the way to my room late at night every time one of the hopped). I don't recall seeing too many frogs on my other trips. I'm not sure if they are just more prevalent at CBR or if it was the rain.

I share your phobia of frogs (I am also terrified of fish), and I just wanted to say I completely understand your terror. I stayed at CSR in June 2001 and had a similar situation. I was there with a very pregnant friend, and she had to walk ahead of me on the way to our rooms and "shoo" the frogs out of the path... I'm sure we were a sight!

I have seen some huge bull frogs over at Shades of Green resort. They are super loud at night. We don't hear them in our room, thank goodness, but they sure do make a lot of noise when they get together. The kids couldn't get over it, and they would go out onto the balcony at night with their phones to record them.

:jumping2:

I am by far no reptile expert, but I see way more Anoles than frogs and don’t think I ever saw any geckos.

There are bullfrogs that live in the little ponds in the alligator bayou area. I love how they sing at night when we return from the parks and the resort is quiet. One of the reasons alligator bayou is my favourite <3

I am by far no reptile expert, but I see way more Anoles than frogs and don’t think I ever saw any geckos.

There are lots of anoles around property also. But if you see a little lizard sticking to the wall, that’s a gecko.

There were tons of geckos at POR hiding in the landscaping. My kids loved looking for them whenever we walked around outside. I think it's in general a florida thing, because I have been going to WDW since I was a kid and I remember there being a ton of them back then. One time, my younger brother somehow trapped one on our balcony at OKW and brought it into our suite. He wanted to keep it as a pet in our bath tub. No thanks! Was a huge surprise to my mom that night! lol

This reminds me of that time we went to POFQ and we saw some CMs looking around along the path to a row of ground floor rooms and asked "so whatcha looking for". Response: "a snake". :hyper2: It was said so casually I'm fairly certain its not an uncommon thing and every time my eye caught movement, I have to admit I was a bit jumpy. :scared:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter