From another Disney site: DCL restates youth activities policy

Bruins

Mouseketeer
I was on Mouseplanet, and they had a short blurb about the youth policies:

<<<The youth activities on the Disney Cruise Line are arguably the best offered anywhere, with separate areas tailored to specific age groups from 3 to 17 years old. In the past, DCL has generally been willing to accommodate passengers who ask that their child be allowed to participate in out-of-age-group activities, most commonly when a mature 10-year-old wants to join an older sibling in the pre-teen Edge club, or parents ask that an 18-year-old who is still in high school be allowed to hang out in the Vibe club designed for ages 14 to 17.

In an internal memo sent to DCL cast members, the cruise line has instructed that age divisions be strictly enforced, and specifically instructed that 18-year-olds not be allowed to participate in youth activities. This poses a challenge for high school seniors who may have already turned 18, but may not be ready to participate in the less-structured 18*21 Club activities with college-aged passengers . Where Vibe is an actual lounge, staffed by youth counselors and offering a variety of activities and diversions from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. daily, the 18*21 Club is usually just a line item on the daily schedule, with only one or two organized meets a day.

Passengers who have called to ask about this very recent change are told little more than "there is now a need to maintain consistency across the fleet." One parent who has a child while will turn 18 during their upcoming cruise was received conflicting information from Disney Cruise Line representatives about what will happen on her son's birthday, and is still unsure if he will be allowed to remain in the Vibe club with his younger brother, or will spend the last three days of their cruise in the areas allowed to adults.

The cruise line has also implemented a new policy restricting parents from being in the youth clubs to do more than drop off and pick up their children, and requires adults to wear a lanyard or sticker whenever they are in the secured area. This change means parents can no longer participate in the youth activities with their children. While not a very common occurrence, some parents would stay with their children for a while to ease their fears about being left alone in a new environment.

To accommodate parents who can no longer participate in youth activities with their children, especially the popular "Flubber" or "Anyone Can Cook" sessions, a series of Open Houses will be offered in the Oceaneer's Club and Oceaneer's Lab during the cruise. Any passenger can attend these open house sessions, which are considered "non-secured" programming, and can come and go freely. Whenever an open house is offered in one venue, either the Oceaneer's Club or the Oceaneer's Lab, secured programming will be offered in the other venue to ensure young passengers always have a secured venue.>>>

Interesting. I really wish that they would make rules and enforce them for everyone, including ages in all clubs. It only serves to makes people angry when exceptions are made for some, but not others.

The cruise line has also implemented a new policy restricting parents from being in the youth clubs to do more than drop off and pick up their children, and requires adults to wear a lanyard or sticker whenever they are in the secured area. This change means parents can no longer participate in the youth activities with their children. While not a very common occurrence, some parents would stay with their children for a while to ease their fears about being left alone in a new environment.

To accommodate parents who can no longer participate in youth activities with their children, especially the popular "Flubber" or "Anyone Can Cook" sessions, a series of Open Houses will be offered in the Oceaneer's Club and Oceaneer's Lab during the cruise. Any passenger can attend these open house sessions, which are considered "non-secured" programming, and can come and go freely. Whenever an open house is offered in one venue, either the Oceaneer's Club or the Oceaneer's Lab, secured programming will be offered in the other venue to ensure young passengers always have a secured venue.>>>

Interesting. They are really drawing a line, keeping adults (of any age) away from minors.

As per previous discussions on this board, I'm betting something happened that crossed some kind of line, thus no more granting of exceptions to "age up" or "age down" in the groupings.

There was a post on here a few months ago about a teenage girl being stalked by an adult who had access to the teen club. I'm not saying that's why their policy changed, just saying we've heard of at least one instance of this happening.

Crud :( My son and I were looking forward to making flubber together, and I really wanna get a few good pics of him having fun in the clubs. I understand the 18+ rules, but not allowing parents of registered children is a bit too far in my opinion.

So does this mean that a parent can't stay with their child for a while to get them acclimated before leaving them there?

I have to say I really like that they are not allowing parents to hang out...I felt great about leaving my children with CMs that are back ground cleared but not with adults I don't even know. On our last cruise there were so many parents just hanging out in the clubs that it made it crowded and made me feel uneasy. If you want to take pictures of your kids in the clubs just do it during the open house activities

Wow, had I not stayed with my daughter and played with her, nobody would have. Not one Disney cm came to my daughter and tryed to play. In fact I stayed back in a corner to watch just to make sure she was ok, when not one cm tryed to get kids involved, it was sad. I had heard great thing about the club. Now I know I'll get flamed, but this is what I saw. Parents dropped off and left, I was there for a couple of hrs. At least half the time staying in a corner where I could watch. The cm's just wondered around, one sat at a table with a project, but did not try to intice children to come and join in. Now for those wondering why I stayed so long, it's because my daughter is non verble autistic. I wanted to make sure she would be ok. I even had a cm tell me that DD would be ok, because she knew sight language. And within 5 min. She left. Well how was my daughter going to ask for anything after that. This was not a great place to me infact a big disappointment. If your wondering, it was the Wonder, during Thanksgiving cruise. Anyway that's my 2 cents.

Wow, had I not stayed with my daughter and played with her, nobody would have. Not one Disney cm came to my daughter and tryed to play. In fact I stayed back in a corner to watch just to make sure she was ok, when not one cm tryed to get kids involved, it was sad. I had heard great thing about the club. Now I know I'll get flamed, but this is what I saw. Parents dropped off and left, I was there for a couple of hrs. At least half the time staying in a corner where I could watch. The cm's just wondered around, one sat at a table with a project, but did not try to intice children to come and join in. Now for those wondering why I stayed so long, it's because my daughter is non verble autistic. I wanted to make sure she would be ok. I even had a cm tell me that DD would be ok, because she knew sight language. And within 5 min. She left. Well how was my daughter going to ask for anything after that. This was not a great place to me infact a big disappointment. If your wondering, it was the Wonder, during Thanksgiving cruise. Anyway that's my 2 cents.

That is disappointing...I think that it is a much better experience for kids that have siblings or friends with them.

So does this mean that a parent can't stay with their child for a while to get them acclimated before leaving them there?

Since they specifically state this, probably. I guess this stops the kids younger than 3 being allowed to be in the club as a visitor with their parent if they are not PTd. It's a shame that the actions of one person caused so many people to be affected by the repercussions. I am glad that my daughter is older now. On our first cruise, DD was just 3 and she used to cry when I dropped her off at preschool every single time. There was no way that she was going to let me leave her somewhere she didn't know anyone except her brother. She enjoyed sitting on my lap while on the floor for a few of the activities.

I really hope that this is not the case. Dropping a child off who does not regularly go to a daycare, preschool or a babysitter can be a little overwhelmed by their parents just dropping them off with strangers. I can see a lot of parents getting calls from the counselors because of hysterical children who do not understand what is happening.

It's a shame that the actions of one person caused so many people to be affected by the repercussions.

:thumbsup2
The father and organizer of the organization should be ashamed of himself, and held accountable for these repercussions on thousands of families.

Ex Techie :)

11 year-olds have been allowed to go into the oceaneers lab before with siblings, as a guest. Do you think the lab/edge age group will also be enforced?

This part seem's to say otherwise unfortunately:

"The youth activities on the Disney Cruise Line are arguably the best offered anywhere, with separate areas tailored to specific age groups from 3 to 17 years old. In the past, DCL has generally been willing to accommodate passengers who ask that their child be allowed to participate in out-of-age-group activities, most commonly when a mature 10-year-old wants to join an older sibling in the pre-teen Edge club, or parents ask that an 18-year-old who is still in high school be allowed to hang out in the Vibe club designed for ages 14 to 17.

In an internal memo sent to DCL cast members, the cruise line has instructed that age divisions be strictly enforced, and specifically instructed that 18-year-olds not be allowed to participate in youth activities.

Have you called DCL to ask them?

It isn't a verbatim message from DCL thou, just a post.

The father and organizer of the organization should be ashamed of himself, and held accountable for these repercussions on thousands of families.

I would bet that he is completely oblivious and doesn't even care that his actions and decisions affected someone else's cruise experience negatively. I would have pursued legal action against the adult son so that there would be a record of his actions. It doesn't matter to me what illness he has, it is obvious that something needs to be done to protect young children who may be exposed to him in some way. The only thing that gives me a small amount of comfort is my belief in Karma.

It's a shame that the actions of one person caused so many people to be affected by the repercussions.

We don't know that it was one incident that led to this decision. There could have been multiple concerns at all levels.

From what was posted, it sounds like he should indeed be ashamed of himself---for that matter, his son (who was allegedly ordering drinks in a bar despite his "special needs") should probably be ashamed of himself too--but I'm not sure you can pin all the 'blame' for these changes on them.

This is pure risk management behavior. The incident may have motivated a review of policy, but obviously DCL has extended the changes far beyond the boundaries of the circumstances in question.

I would bet that he is completely oblivious and doesn't even care that his actions and decisions affected someone else's cruise experience negatively. I would have pursued legal action against the adult son so that there would be a record of his actions. It doesn't matter to me what illness he has, it is obvious that something needs to be done to protect young children who may be exposed to him in some way. The only thing that gives me a small amount of comfort is my belief in Karma.

Pursue legal action against him for what? Nobody got assaulted. It sounds like this individual's disturbing actions really ruined the family's cruise, but I don't see a personal injury claim--and certainly not a criminal case--from what they described.

This part seem's to say otherwise unfortunately:

"The youth activities on the Disney Cruise Line are arguably the best offered anywhere, with separate areas tailored to specific age groups from 3 to 17 years old. In the past, DCL has generally been willing to accommodate passengers who ask that their child be allowed to participate in out-of-age-group activities, most commonly when a mature 10-year-old wants to join an older sibling in the pre-teen Edge club, or parents ask that an 18-year-old who is still in high school be allowed to hang out in the Vibe club designed for ages 14 to 17.

In an internal memo sent to DCL cast members, the cruise line has instructed that age divisions be strictly enforced, and specifically instructed that 18-year-olds not be allowed to participate in youth activities.

Have you called DCL to ask them?

It isn't a verbatim message from DCL thou, just a post.

Thanks. I was hoping as it kept saying "specifically" no 18's in teen club that maybe the younger age groups would be more flexible. wishful thinking I imagine:goodvibes

This will very much impact our daughters' experience in the clubs and may mean they spend less time there. Our eldest is 11 and is very close to our youngest who's almost 8. Although our 11 year-old will no doubt check out the edge, she was really looking forward to hanging out with her sister and taking part in activities together.
Oh well, that's more family time which is a good thing. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter