From one done to see you again: Wonder Melbourne to Auckland

Lesverts

DIS Veteran
Background:
- I have only sailed the Caribbean and only on Celebrity. So like the vast majority of the ship I was a first time DCLer
- single guy that loves Disney
- first time in both Australia and New Zealand

Cabin:
I had an inside cabin (only sailed verandah before) on deck 7 aft. 7619. Principle drawback was the noise on the final morning from the crew access point beside my cabin. The cabin was in good shape except for the sofa and coffee table. The sofa was so run down and worn. So was the table. They need to be replaced probably ship wide. Bed was the best I’ve had on a cruise ship. The bathroom, while small, was serviceable. The water pressure and water temperature were excellent.

Cabin steward/attendant was excellent as well. Very fast and it seemed like he got to know our schedules because I never had an issue with running into him doing up my room. Only slight complaint is that I tipped him on the second to last night a bit extra and then he mentioned the tips to me again the next day. I know it is important to him and I am not making a judgment call on tipping. Just I doubled your tip. Leave it at that please.

Common Spaces:

It was like there was an army of crew just there to fix and paint and clean. There was so much painting and varnishing and sprucing up of the ship. Must be what the parks were like 30 years ago. Some chairs here and there were a little scruffy but overall the upkeep of the ship was very good. I especially liked the Cadillac lounge but unfortunately it’s Happy Hour and my dining hour matched. Which sucked.

Crew:

Almost everyone you walked by said hello. Everyone was friendly. Many of them were good to talk to for a chat. Since I’m a bit of a nerd being able to talk to people and ask questions about the finer details was great. I also noticed the officers were a lot more visible on the ship compared to celebrity. Heading to dinner on the last two nights many of them, including the captain, were out and about. So that was very cool to see. Jimmy was our cruise director. Him and his assistant were wonderful. Every time you ran into either they had a way of making you feel like they remembered you. Jimmy called me sir. I was like dude you’re old enough to be my dad and in uniform I think we have the sir part backwards.

I normally spend my time on my balcony and the bars on a ship. But no balcony and I’m not running up a 150$ a day bar bill. So I went to a lot more activities compared to previous cruises. I came second in trivia 5 times and when I did win. A total of 13 people had the same score and I was left without a prize. I know. Tear. But still. I want my glorified plastic

Characters:

Goofy grabbed me on deck for a photo on the second day after I had decided not to bother with characters because of the line. So I had to then go met all the big ones. Character interaction was universally stellar except Mickey one. I understand guy plus solo plus stuff equals the friends being more hesitant. But still it sucked to wait in line for about 45 minutes for Mickey and get a pretty ****ty interaction. After that one I started asking who the handlers and photographers were going to be so I could map out when to meet characters with people that helped make the experience great. I made sure I wrote their names on the comment cards. I made Donald one angry duck though. Called him daffy. Oops. The lines and the chatting in line with the various people was also a highlight for me.

Fellow Guests:

I don’t know if I got a special cruise or if DCL guests are just more friendly and pleasant. But I had a blast meeting and hanging out with new people. Everyone was up for a chat. Helped a little guy find his parents the first night and had a little friend and a bar buddy (his Dad) for the rest of the cruise. It was all very super relaxed and laid back. I didn’t see any server mistreatment or crew getting yelled at. My fellow Disney peeps were awesome. Though I will say there was a noticeable Gay contingent. So I did try to engage, being Gay as well, and they were the coldest. I got accepted by the Dads though. Probably ended up having a better time. I also loved how everyone thought I was Aussie until I spoke. One of the officers thought I was an American when we spoke. I said no Canadian. She ended up checking and said I was likely the only non-crew Canadian on board. I was a novelty.

I mentioned on another thread that traveling and Disney is emotional because of my Mom passing earlier this year. So there were times onboard that I got emotional about being on a Disney ship and her not being there with me. We were suppose to do a three night Bahamas on the wish over the same weekend but I couldn’t do it. I was standing up on deck one day and the emotions got to me a bit. The Dad I had been hanging out with came across me. I explained what was going through my head. Aussies don’t seem to be shy about hugging I guess.

I actively tried to be more extroverted this trip. Figured Aussies are a safe space and inside a Disney bubble. I am so happy I did.

I will add more. But it’s hard to type on phone.

Last edited:
Thanks for your trip report!

I’m sorry you didn’t have a positive experience with Mickey or the friends of Dorothy.

Food:

Celebrity pizza is better. And I missed the make your own salad station.

Cabanas was good. On par with what I had experienced on Celebrity. Just a bit less choice. I do wish there was some kind of this table is occupied system because I general do two small plates at a buffet because I don’t like mixing certain food types. The moment you get up solo the table is cleared and someone is sitting there. Thankfully friends helped but still would be nice to be able to have a 30 minute or whatever occupied timer on the table so you can get refills of coffee or soda or a dessert and have a table to come back to.

Main dining was good. I have read some negative reviews from a few people on my cruise but besides some temperature issues and one potato issue on the last night it was overall well done. There was absolutely nothing I ordered that I didn’t like. And the two lamb dishes I had on the final two nights were both very good. Obviously I was a bit disappointed when I ordered a ‘pepper pot’ and there was a lack of pepper in the pot. My only big issue was the dessert/after dinner service. I am use to an automatic offer of coffee/tea with dessert.

Palo: Doing this solo was not ideal. It limited my menu choices because I did not want to waste food. But what I did have was excellent and the service level was high. But for a hard to get reservation the seating was empty.

Overall

I started the cruise and into the second day thinking the Disney premium was not worth it. But as I did the activities and shows. Continued good dining. And the overwhelming positive crew treatment it started to make me see why people choose this. I am very happy I did the cruise and enjoyed myself immensely. I would not hesitate to sail DCL again but I’d only do it if it fits into overall plans like it did this trip. I said before that I feel like Disney under promised and over delivered on this sailing. It was an unforgettable experience looking out on the expanse of the Tasman. It was a magical time.

Random thoughts:

After experience 3 styles of cruise ships now. DCL. Early open concept and late open concept I can now understand how the Wish was so jarring to DCL only and true DCL people. The Wonder is designed like a steamer and it shows. I loved the aesthetic of the ship because I love old time ocean liners but from a navigation and practical point of view I prefer the mid 2000s open concept ships before we got the Oasis style.

I really wish there had been a meet and mingle the first night or first afternoon for the solos and couples to get to know each other. Part of this is my own fault requesting a solo dining table. Seemed like all the solos and couples met their ship BFFs at dinner. I did end up meeting and mingling and finding good mates to be around for the cruise. But still

Most other cruise lines do this. There was significant couple and solo travelers on my cruising. The staff could have seen that and accommodated.

I know if Disney even makes a suggestion that they are thinking of changing rotational dining the pitch forks would come out. But not my favourite.

I really enjoyed the complete lack of overbearing pushy jewelry and Art sales people on board. Made window shopping the stores a more relaxing experience

I am not sure if I have said it in another post. But I don’t care. I’ll say it again. The five singers that did the lion king pieces did just as well as any of the stage productions I have seen. Absolutely marvelous.

I think that is everything. I want to do a Disney cruise again now. But need to find a sweet spot. I paid about 400$ Canadian a night for my room. That’s the number I’d like to get to for another. Good luck I know.

Thanks for your review! Great to hear that you had a great cruise!

Jimmy is an awesome cruise director, we had him on the Panama Canal cruise in 2014 and this year in Alaska. He is so much fun!

Thanks for your review! Great to hear that you had a great cruise!

Jimmy is an awesome cruise director, we had him on the Panama Canal cruise in 2014 and this year in Alaska. He is so much fun!

It was actually pretty surprising to see a cruise director that had been in position for so long. On my Celebrity cruises I couldn't even tell you if I had known the cruise director on 2 of them. Most of them that I remember were very young (late 20s and early 30s likely). Only one truly stood out. Don't remember her real name because the whole ship called her Pippi because she looked like an adult Pippi Longstocking. She was the only one that could come close to how involved Jimmy was.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter