~ From rainbows...through terror...to half in 2010! ~

maroo

DIS Veteran
This is my first Wish Journal. In fact...I really have no idea what I am doing. I was not even sure where to PUT this!

It is sort of a pre-trip report. More on that in a sec...

But it is more of a journal...so I put it here with the WISH Journals.

But to understand why I am here...I must take you back a few months. And to take you back, well, you would need to have some clue who is writing all of this stuff!

I am Maroo! Short...well, long...for Mary! I am single...30 something years old...and I have a considerable amount of work to do before I can consider myself "healthy!"

I found the Disboards when I was helping my good friends plan a trip to Disney World. We ended up going on a wonderful Wish Trip. Not W.I.S.H...but Wish...Confused? Well, I was too. In fact, in researching that trip, I thought this board was about Wish trips. :sad2: Our trip was a Make A Wish trip. :cool1:

My dear friend, Lauren - daughter of my dear friend, Lisa - was granted a trip with the Make A Wish Foundation (MAW). MAW grants wishes to children with life threatening illnesses. We took that trip in October. To Disney, of course!

You can read all about it here:

The Rainbow Wish Trip Report

In fact...to understand the "rainbow" part of this deal, you would need to start there!

So, I will assume you read it...What, you didn't read it?!?!?! :confused3 I understand! I will recap some of that trip on this journal...at some point...so if you don't have time to read all of that, I understand! You can still join me on this journey.

So...where are we going?

Well...for one thing...I am GOING to lose some weight! YES! I am going to lose some weight! ::yes::

I know some people go into detail about where they are now in this area...but, uh, I am shy about that...so, maybe later! :) Suffice to say...I have plenty I need to lose! :faint:

My second goal...is to get healthy! To exercise more! And I have discovered something about myself through this process of planning a Wish trip...I LOVE DISNEY!!!

And I will do almost anything to get back to Disney World.

I proved this point when I asked my friend, Lisa, to join me on a trip back to Disney. Not for the great food...although, I do plan to eat while I am there! And not for the wonderful rides...or characters...or magical moments or anything else that represents Disney....

I asked my friend to join me in a race. That is right, my friend! I can barely jog around the block...and I am committed to a race!

Tower of Terror...to be exact. October 24, 2009!

And then...the Half-Marathon in 2010!!

So...that is where I am going...want to join me on this journey?

Some Links to Follow:

Workout Journal!

I'm joining you!!

Lose weight ... What's that mean??? If it has something to do with Disney I might be down with that!!!

Mary,
Congratulations for making the decision that this is what you want to do.It is possible to do anything if we put our minds to it.
Last year I was contemplating the 1/2 at this time and the people here on this board convinced me I could do the full- well I did the full this year and what an experience.You will have a blast next year, I am doing the 1/2 too.

The whole process is a building process with good days and bad days but you will succeed.

Thanks for checking out my journal the support really helps me too.I am starting to focus on weight loss too so we can support each other.

Have a great day!
Linda

I'm joining you!!

Lose weight ... What's that mean??? If it has something to do with Disney I might be down with that!!!

Yeah!!!! :)

I am so glad that you have joined me for this leg of my journey!

So sad to see your TR end, but so happy I can keep up with you here!!

Aww...thanks for subbing here! :)

I will try to update regularly about Lauren and family, too. In fact...we might have Lisa join us!! As a DISer! :) Wouldn't that be cool!

Mary,
Congratulations for making the decision that this is what you want to do.It is possible to do anything if we put our minds to it.
Last year I was contemplating the 1/2 at this time and the people here on this board convinced me I could do the full- well I did the full this year and what an experience.You will have a blast next year, I am doing the 1/2 too.

The whole process is a building process with good days and bad days but you will succeed.

Thanks for checking out my journal the support really helps me too.I am starting to focus on weight loss too so we can support each other.

Have a great day!
Linda

Thanks, Linda! Aw man, I can't imagine doing the full. Plus, it would take me FOREVER...:lmao: I don't want to use that much DISNEY time! :)

I will definitely check out your journal, too! I am pretty sure I have already subscribed, but I need to make sure! Sometimes I hit the wrong button!!!

Hello, everyone! :)

It feels a little strange to be on this part of the Disboards!...I might not have enough of a clue to actually start a WISH journal!

But here goes nothing!

So...first step for me, I think, is the weight loss...Because walking or jogging around with all of this extra weight can't be good for my knees! Or any other part of me, for that matter!!! :)

I have joined Weight Watchers online. I don't really have time or really enjoy meetings. And I like the idea of paying just $16ish a month for this project! I have done well, so far, doing my weekly weigh ins at home and putting it on my online journal. I have ready access to the internet at home, work and even my phone (which I LOVE!), so I am doing well on tracking exactly what I am eating. The simple act of writing it down seems to help me, honestly.

I started on December 26th. This was not a New Years Resolution, as I believe those were made to be broken, but more of a paradigm shift. I got on the scale the day after Christmas and thought I was going to die right there! The most I had weighed...EVER...And it crossed a number I never thought I would cross...but ANYWAY....

So, I immediately lost about 3 pounds...and then immediately put it back on. Not sure how that happened? Seriously...I was even on plan!

Aside from that yo-yo moment, I have been losing weight ever since!

I have lost, as of yesterday, 9.5 pounds!

I have also been exercising...but more on that later!

This...is step one of the plan! LOSE WEIGHT!!

Any comments, suggestions, or random thoughts are welcome!!!!!! :)

One thing that my doctor has told me, is to not weigh yourself everyday. When you do that you are only seeing the amount of water in your body fluctuating. He said do it once a week and in the morning before you eat or drink anything. That will give you the best idea on how much you are losing. There is a veggie pizza that me and my family make all the time, it is a cold thing but really good. Let me know if you want the recipe! I'm sure you are going to do great!

Yah!!!!!! Another story by Maroo to follow! And one that I can more fit into! I found out that my DH really wants to run in next year's half-marathon, so that he doesn't find some other cutie chick to do it with...I've volunteered! Sheeesh! Why do I get into these things???? So, I'll be following along and adding my own journal soon!

Mary- 9.5 lbs you go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks like we will have a good group from here for the 1/2 next year!

It is so true about the New Year resolution- you can't do something like this just because of the date you need to have your head in the game.

Keep posting!
Linda

One thing that my doctor has told me, is to not weigh yourself everyday. When you do that you are only seeing the amount of water in your body fluctuating. He said do it once a week and in the morning before you eat or drink anything. That will give you the best idea on how much you are losing. There is a veggie pizza that me and my family make all the time, it is a cold thing but really good. Let me know if you want the recipe! I'm sure you are going to do great!

:) Sure, I would love the recipe! :)

Weight Watchers only allows you to log your weight once a week, too! My weigh in day is Tuesday. Sometimes I want to do this :badpc: when I have to log it! :rotfl:

Thank you so much for following along! :) Any hints, comments, recipes greatly appreciated!! :)

Yah!!!!!! Another story by Maroo to follow! And one that I can more fit into! I found out that my DH really wants to run in next year's half-marathon, so that he doesn't find some other cutie chick to do it with...I've volunteered! Sheeesh! Why do I get into these things???? So, I'll be following along and adding my own journal soon!

Aw, I am so glad I have some folks crossing over to this journal! :) It will be different from the rollercoaster TR - I am not nearly as cute! :rotfl2: ...but, I am sure it will have some ups and downs too! And I will put in regular updates on Lauren and family, too! :)

Lauren's mom, Lisa is going to be joining me in October, but I don't know of anyone that will be joining me in January! I will probably go with Team in Training, unless we can come up with a good fundraiser for GKTW on the DIS...there has been talk about that! :)

Does your husband run? Are you planning on walking or jogging or running?

Hi Mar!

I was so happy to hear from you yesterday! It is so funny, I also started an exercise program last week (Yes, before I knew you were going to :)), but mine is more to tone up than lose weight, although, I will start that facet in a couple more months when the weather warms up some. It is just too icy to safely walk or jog right now.

Anyway, I'm using weights on my marshmallow-y arms and lats. I just so totally HATE! that my flab hangs over my bra!!!!! Ugh! Geez Louise, I hope only gals are reading this! :lmao:

This too is part of my ultimate plan to get back to the House of Mouse, but be able to wear a T-shirt without being grossed out by my own out-of-shape-ness. I joined up with FitDay and am logging my food too. The most interesting thing is that it tells you if you are getting enough vitamins and minerals with what you eat also. Vitamins are too expensive to buy here, so I have to eat what I need.

Anyway, don't want to hijack your thread here. Just tellin' you, I'll be here with you. :grouphug:

Your Friend,

Liesa

Hi Mary,
Thanks for inviting me to your journal - I posted on my Procrastination Half trip report about those hills -rest assured YOU CAN DO IT!

I'd also like to invite you to the Peep thread on WISH
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1863804

I'm a bad peep and havent been posting there in a year - but I was there when it all started thanks to Utahmama/ie Wendy - she is a wonderful, vivacious, person, very inspiring - lots of peeps post recipes (some not so weight friendly LOL) but they weigh in every Friday - and Wendy keeps tracks of all the losers - and everyone cheers everyone else on!!

so after looking at the wedding pics, and my Half pics, I truly have to start anew - I want to be at least 20# lighter for the 2010 Half!! Can you imagine? I cant, not really... but I know that as heavy as I am, I can still finish that Half if I believe, and if I want it!

I havent read the MAW trip - but I probably have read parts - or if you have posted on the DISabilty forum, I am a reader of that board as well!! Mainly due to my ds, 24 yrs old, he's hard of hearing, so I got involved in a lot of special needs work in the last 24 years! Since we went to Disney, I had to know about closed/ or reflective captioning (dh and ds arent deaf, just hard of hearing)

BTW - in case you havent picked up on it, I"m really chatty!

Right now I"m at a library, I have 2 hours of internet time - and then I wander around waiting for my ds to finish treatment at a hospital (since its 50 min from home, I've been creatively finding time to waste!)

so, thanks for having me!!

:cheer2:

Yeah! Liesa! Joining me from half-way across the world! :) Feel FREE to hijack any time you want! In fact, if you want to do your journal stuff right here, feel free! The more the merrier! Then I won't feel like I am just talking to myself! :lmao:

I am so excited that you are starting something, too!! :) I have no idea what the FitDay thing is? Is that a website? That vitamin deal will be good if you can't buy them where you are. Can you recieve shipments of stuff? Or do they have mail in your country? :lmao: Like vitamins and peanut butter? I bet you can't buy that, either!

Now, you know about cold, don't you! I will pass you some coffee. :coffee: Isn't it, like, Tundra cold over there? What is the temp today (in F!)?

My treadmill died. And it was too cold for me to walk outside. Now, ask me how cold it was? You are going to cry. Or die laughing. It was 40. 40 degrees. And it was too cold. I am SUCH A WIMP!!! :guilty:

I really do need to work on that. And have been inspired by all of the people on this board that walk when it is 6 freaking degrees outside! :sad2: You people! :rotfl2:

But, I also have a sore throat. And don't need to be sick, because I have a big weekend coming up. Lauren, my 15-year-old friend, pictured below, has a church retreat this weekend. I will be her assistant from today (Friday) at 4 till Sunday afternoon. :scared1: For those of you that don't know Lauren - she has cerebral palsy, uses a power wheelchair, can't sit, stand or walk on her own, and needs help with just about everything. She is also perfectly "normal" from the neck up. So she needs help with homework (10th grade stinks!!) and other stuff that every teenager does! She is a delight to be around!

You can read all about our adventures in Disney World in our TR below, if you want more info...but I will try to add tidbits every now and then here on this journal!

So...back to the journal stuff...

I did get to walk about 30 min last night before my treadmill died. I have been staying on plan with WW for the past several days. But, today, I just feel horrible. Sore throat. Low grade fever. And I don't know about you guys...but I tend to toss the diet out the window when I am sick. I want comfort food. Like real food. Anyone know where I am coming from here?

So, I am trying to stay on plan. I probably won't be around here much this weekend...Well, I do have that iPhone...so I will have to test that out!

Hopefully I can stay on plan, even with the retreat food!

I need a treadmill too!! But I have decided and took you as an inspiration to start a diet and workout regimend. I am going to start small by just eating healthier and doing at home workouts. Those videos may seem cheesy but some of those 12 minute cardio workouts will get me sweating like no other and goodness do I feel it the next day too! So I figure get about 2 or 3 of those and do them sporatically (sp?) during the day and I will be fine. With not working right now and going to school online oh and being my nephews babysitter a few days a week it's hard to get out. Oh and not counting the 10 inches of ice and snow outside..lol...So I am joining in and going to be doing this with you! I am going tonight to get my workout videos, I will let you know if I find any good ones if you are interested! I am so excited about this!

I need a treadmill too!! But I have decided and took you as an inspiration to start a diet and workout regimend. I am going to start small by just eating healthier and doing at home workouts. Those videos may seem cheesy but some of those 12 minute cardio workouts will get me sweating like no other and goodness do I feel it the next day too! So I figure get about 2 or 3 of those and do them sporatically (sp?) during the day and I will be fine. With not working right now and going to school online oh and being my nephews babysitter a few days a week it's hard to get out. Oh and not counting the 10 inches of ice and snow outside..lol...So I am joining in and going to be doing this with you! I am going tonight to get my workout videos, I will let you know if I find any good ones if you are interested! I am so excited about this!

Wow! :) Look at you, getting all inspired! :)

:faint: I inspired you?!?! Oh goodness...no pressure! :) lol

Let me know how those videos go!

Think I could get one on iTunes? :rotfl: Ok...hilarious! :lmao: Thinking about trying to do a workout holding that 2.5 inch screen! I would fall on my face!! :rotfl2:

It is a VERY long story...but I am trying to figure out which of three gyms I should be a member of...I have two friends I work out with...and they are members of two separate gyms. Then there is the gym where I work...?! Decisions!

So I decided to join none of them! And just pay as I go...which probably is not a good plan...especially since my treadmill died! But we will see!

So far, so good! :)

Thanks for joining me!! And feel complete freedom to journal here, too!! The more the merrier!! :)

Wouldn't you work one be free? There is a gym here in town that don't cost too much but with not working I gotta save every penny. But as soon as I can find a job I will be signing up!

Mary- 9.5 lbs you go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks like we will have a good group from here for the 1/2 next year!

It is so true about the New Year resolution- you can't do something like this just because of the date you need to have your head in the game.

Keep posting!
Linda

I have NO idea how I missed your post earlier!! I quoted two others and missed yours! I am so sorry!!!!!

I am glad to have you along on this ride! I have noticed several that are training for the half in 2010! Think we started a trend! :) I will keep up with ya on your journal, too!! :) Thanks for posting!

Hi Mary,
Thanks for inviting me to your journal - I posted on my Procrastination Half trip report about those hills -rest assured YOU CAN DO IT!

I'd also like to invite you to the Peep thread on WISH
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1863804

I'm a bad peep and havent been posting there in a year - but I was there when it all started thanks to Utahmama/ie Wendy - she is a wonderful, vivacious, person, very inspiring - lots of peeps post recipes (some not so weight friendly LOL) but they weigh in every Friday - and Wendy keeps tracks of all the losers - and everyone cheers everyone else on!!

so after looking at the wedding pics, and my Half pics, I truly have to start anew - I want to be at least 20# lighter for the 2010 Half!! Can you imagine? I cant, not really... but I know that as heavy as I am, I can still finish that Half if I believe, and if I want it!

I havent read the MAW trip - but I probably have read parts - or if you have posted on the DISabilty forum, I am a reader of that board as well!! Mainly due to my ds, 24 yrs old, he's hard of hearing, so I got involved in a lot of special needs work in the last 24 years! Since we went to Disney, I had to know about closed/ or reflective captioning (dh and ds arent deaf, just hard of hearing)

BTW - in case you havent picked up on it, I"m really chatty!

Right now I"m at a library, I have 2 hours of internet time - and then I wander around waiting for my ds to finish treatment at a hospital (since its 50 min from home, I've been creatively finding time to waste!)

so, thanks for having me!!

:cheer2:

I loved your quick, impromptu, very late TR! I have to admit, I thought you had mistyped when you said half in 08...:rotfl:

I love that you did it! And didn't get swept! You had me on pins and needles because at some point in the beginning you said you didn't get a medal...and that made me think you got swept! It was a nail biter. And I am glad I didn't have to wait forever to get to the end! You are one fast trip writer! It took me 4 months to write mine...and I was on here about every day... :P

Wow! Special needs work...we do have a lot in common! I don't post as much on the disabilities side, because I am buried in there on the Wish Trippers thread and I spend lots of time on there. But I do try to drop in the disabilities section every now and then! :) And I usually pipe in on just about anything!

You can DEFINITELY lose 20 pounds!! By Jan! :) You can do it!! :) :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I would think really getting into the training...and just drinking a lot of water, would get you close! :)

I just have to keep myself from eating MORE as I am exercising.

Feel free to post here! And I will follow your journal, too!!! :)

Wouldn't you work one be free? There is a gym here in town that don't cost too much but with not working I gotta save every penny. But as soon as I can find a job I will be signing up!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Free?!?! Goodness no!

This one here is about 50 a month. They are PROUD of it! But they have a nice, nice indoor pool. One I crave to swim in! With beautiful sky lights!

And my friend is a member of a 20/month one...but it just had treadmills and such...not much. You even have to bring your own towel to take a shower.

The 3rd one is about 40...

I decided I could walk on my treadmill when the weather is bad...walk outside when it is nice. I will ride my bike once a week with my friend, Lisa...and then I can pay just $5 if I want to swim...as long as I am with my friend that is a member.

So, I could do it all...for less. If I can stay motivated. I mean...when I stay motivated! ::yes::

Do you have a Bally's Fitness by you ?

I'm not sure when this expires, but you can get 30 days free at Bally's if you sign up thru Discovery Health
http://health.discovery.com/national-body-challenge/bally-pass.html

I do really well for 2 weeks, then, I just give up!

Taking my son to the hospital M-F from 9-3 (and its a 45 min drive) is such an easy excuse. I'm hoping to motivate (kick myself into gear! into reality!) myself into doing Mall walking next week! I know I'll be glad if I do!

Then eating. seriously. I know what to do - but I love the drive thru - hamburgers.. or chinese buffet (ok so I ate there yesterday, but I didnt enjoy it.. every time I eat there I think, this is so not worth the calories.. yet 2 or 3 times I year I still eat there!)

Mary,
Sorry to hear you are sick.Yeah that gives us an excuse to feel sorry for ourselves but stay strong.You are motivated to do this!Stay on your plan.

It stinks when the treadmill goes at this time of year- we have a Sole F63, we love it.Love the Ipod dock!
I think it is great that gyms are offering a pay as you go now.You figure the economy the way it is if they did not do something like that they would lose tons of business.Everyone knows what it is like to pay for the gym and then stop going but the monthly payment is there.I was actually going to check with my old gym to do Spinning(pay as you go).I don't know if they do it but it would be great.

Where are you from? I was laughing about being cold at 40 degrees! I would be in shorts- no lie!

Linda

;) Just checking in to say hi. Good news! It's been above freezing here for almost a week, and the ice is melting fast! This is absolutely incredible and unheard of for this area! usually it is about -20 F from the end of Nov. until the end of Feb., but not this year. :confused3 But that's good for me, because I really need to get out there and start walking! I'm not sure I'll ever "do" a marathon, or even a half marathon, my back is so bad, but at least I can try to keep it from getting worse!

Well, yes and no about that peanut butter.... We can get small jars of it, but it is made in China, and I'm a little leery of using it. With all the scares about Chinese products these days, I'm just not sure. I'm sure that they don't check quality standards AT ALL here. The things I miss here the most are: good coffee (they only drink tea here), easy access to new movies, or any movies for that matter on DVD, reliable utilities, my family, and quilting fabric. ;)

Well, time for my little "workout". Oh, by the way, FitDay is a website. Just google it. It's free and good.

Talk to you later,

Liesa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter