• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

From WDW to Miami

zonkvadr

Mouseketeer
We are so excited for our MDAS cruise next January, and, yes, I am a planner, so I am starting my spreadsheet/scheduler now. (Who am I kidding, I am updating my spreadsheet now).

Our cruise departs on a Monday and my thought was to drive to Orlando and grab a day at HS in order to take in Galaxy's Edge for the first time.

With work and school schedules and travel time factored in, the HS day would have to be Sunday, my thought being we would stay on property that night and head to Miami the day we embark.

I have started to read a few threads about sailing from Miami and I am wondering if I should be nervous about travelling from Orlando to the Port on the day we sail. I am not opposed to getting up and out early, but my fellow travelers are two teens and senior citizen, so there is only so early I can realistically get us out the door. (My family is not overly fond of Sergeant Vacation Mom.)

Am I being overly ambitious thinking I can be on the Millennium Falcon on Sunday and the Magic by 4pm on Monday? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Should be doable. We once went to the MNSSHP, stayed at BLT, then got up early to drive down to Miami on embarkation day. We were there in plenty of time. Took maybe 3.5-4 hours to drive.

It's about a 3.5-hour drive, barring any accidents or construction issues, from WDW to PortMiami. You can drive there the day of the cruise, but I'd be Sergeant Vacation Mom and tell everyone you'll be hitting the road by 8 a.m. (I'd leave by 7, but then we live in Orlando and always leave the night before and stay somewhere like Boca Raton to be closer.)

We just did this on march 31st! We spent one night at the BWV to see illuminations one last time and drove to Miami to sail on the magic the next morning.

OP, I was super nervous about this, as we normally sail out of Port Canaveral. We were up and ready to leave around 7:00 am and checked Waze. It said we would be at the port at 10:00 am

We left around 7:30, just following the Waze directions. We got right onto the turnpike, stopped once for gas and pulled into the port at 10:30. It was right at 230 miles from Orlando to the port. It was an easy and boring drive on the turnpike. The fee was around $16 each way, so plan accordingly.

The turnpike ends in Miami, and we easily made it to the port with just a couple of turns - Waze told us exactly where to go. We had an 11:30 PAT and were on the ship before noon. We did the same on the way back and spent 2 additional nights at Disney.

All in all, it was a breeze and we would do it again. Except that none of us liked sailing on the magic - so more sailings on the fantasy for us!

The part that might be over-ambitious could be expecting to get on any major Galaxy's Edge rides in January with only a one-night resort stay. I recall how hard it was to get FPs for Flight of Passage the first year that came out. I imagine the SW rides would be even harder to get FPs for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter