• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Frommer article full of WDW misinformation

gk90

Mom to Sorcerer Mickey fan and Donald's #1 fan!
http://travel.msn.com/Guides/article.aspx?cp-documentid=423141&GT1=10442

I left a low rating for this article and sent msn an email complaining about all the misinformation and anti-Disney bias from the author. Take a look at it, I'm sure that those of you with several WDW trips under your belts will find even more to annoy you than I did.

Maybe there's a thread on this board posted about this already? I didn't see one but if there is, I'm sorry for duplicating--but this article really irked me.

My favorite line in that article:

Epcot won't have enough to interest your younger kids.

I must be imagining things when I see kids having a good time there then. Silly me.

"only their corporate overlord would give them "stars.""

Who does she think owns Sea World & Universal Studios?

I agree with you; the article is biased from the first word.

"Disney enforces a four person limited so if you bring baby you have to get two rooms." :sad2: This woman admittedly has never been to Disney World yet is getting paid to spout misinformation and down right horrible advice. And she's coming out with a whole book on the subject. That should be interesting.

Has this person ever been to Disney World? That is the first problem with this article. I loved the fact that she told them that they would need two rooms if they took the baby. The meal plan was also another one that made it sound like the was only about 4 resturants that were included. That poor woman, I wish I knew who she was so I could tell her to come over to the boards. I think I might zip an email to tell them how many mistakes are in this article.:sad2:

Here is the email address if anyone else wants to share their thoughts: msntrav@microsoft.com

Well, that article just made me angry. :lmao:

She is just another example of people not getting it if they've never been. I know she's been to Disneyland, but really, can you compare the two?

I gave her a poor rating for reflecting her own personal judgments about WDW in her article without having been there and for the glaring misinformation.

How can a Frommer be so, well, clueless? I feel sorry for the lady she was responding to. :confused3

Disney's eating plan is inconvenient (only certain properties are included, some of which require reservations).

SOME OF WHICH ?
No wonder so many families get turned away at CRT if that's the kind of people they get their info from :sad2:

Did you see that part

The newest book in the series, Pauline Frommer’s Walt Disney World & Orlando, hit the bookstores this June.
She wrote a book but doesn't know that it's 4 person + a child under 3 in one room ?
For crying out loud.. 10mns on the DIS and you'd know that.

Several of us from the CB have emailed her. None have received a reply as far as I know. Apparently her book (which is co-authored by her) is also chock full of misinformation. It's a shame that people will buy it and that could be the only thing they read. :sad2:

On top of everything else wrong with that article isn't that a picture of the Materhorn for DisneyLAND in the article about DisneyWORLD?

What a joke...... people that listen to this lady probably have never been themselves, and she is making it sound like an un-wanted vacation to them. WDW is the most visited vacation spot in the world. Men, women, and children of all ages have enjoyed their vacations for a long time now, and will continue to do so for many more years to come !!:goodvibes

And yet she ends with this quote, "Despite my carping about high prices, I have to admit a soft spot for the theme parks of Orlando."

haha! :lmao: Maybe for the unmissable Sea World. Obviously NOT WDW.

Oh well, her article will discourage readers from visiting...more room (and available ADRs for us).

I think articles like this give people the idea that food is going to cost more than they've ever seen anywhere in their lives. Sure, it's more expensive than your local McDonalds. But have they ever bought food at their local professional sports venue, or at the State Fair, or at Six Flags?

I remember reading one of those "How to Survive Your WDW Vacation" articles in a popular magazine....it wasn't even an "on a budget" article. It assumed that the reader was only going to MK, and only for one day, and basically advised the reader to bring in sandwiches and avoid buying food there.

But I think she DID have some good advice in there amid the biased opinions.

I know many will disagree w/ me, but I WOULD recommend this person wait until children are older, particularly since budget is an issue. We waited, and DS12, DD9 and DS7 are all old enough, tall enough and generally brave enough to ride EVERYTHING!!!

We are choosing to stay onsite, but you certainly can get a much better price offsite. It certainly would have been nice to see the reasons TO stay onsite. ESPECIALLY w/ little ones, the convenience of being able to take an afternoon break offsets the cost, IMO. The misinformation about the extra room is unacceptable.

It is too bad that DDP was not sufficiently explained. Two of their children would be free and one is only $11/day!!!

From a budgetary standpoint, base tickets are best. But no explanation that buying multiple day tickets is one of the most cost effective tricks. It is too bad that the sites and wandering performers at EPCOT were not seen as appropriate for youngsters, much less kidcot activities. I think how children view EPCOT is directly related to their parents attitude..."I don't want to learn on vacation, I just want to be entertained" We are looking forward to EPCOT most of all! The only park we have 2 days scheduled for! And AK is our next one we are looking forward to...wish we had 2 days to spend there! Of course, MK for 2 days w/ little ones makes sense.

Sure hope this person sought a second opinion!

Ms. Frommer states that her daughters have never been to Disney World. I would assume she has. However, it seems to be some time since she's gone.

I do hope that lots of folks read her article and decide to hit Sea World instead, maybe some restaurant reservations will open up.

But I think she DID have some good advice in there amid the biased opinions.

I know many will disagree w/ me, but I WOULD recommend this person wait until children are older, particularly since budget is an issue. We waited, and DS12, DD9 and DS7 are all old enough, tall enough and generally brave enough to ride EVERYTHING!!!

We are choosing to stay onsite, but you certainly can get a much better price offsite. It certainly would have been nice to see the reasons TO stay onsite. ESPECIALLY w/ little ones, the convenience of being able to take an afternoon break offsets the cost, IMO. The misinformation about the extra room is unacceptable.

It is too bad that DDP was not sufficiently explained. Two of their children would be free and one is only $11/day!!!

From a budgetary standpoint, base tickets are best. But no explanation that buying multiple day tickets is one of the most cost effective tricks. It is too bad that the sites and wandering performers at EPCOT were not seen as appropriate for youngsters, much less kidcot activities. I think how children view EPCOT is directly related to their parents attitude..."I don't want to learn on vacation, I just want to be entertained" We are looking forward to EPCOT most of all! The only park we have 2 days scheduled for! And AK is our next one we are looking forward to...wish we had 2 days to spend there! Of course, MK for 2 days w/ little ones makes sense.

Sure hope this person sought a second opinion!

Exactly what you just wrote here, you should send to them/her - whatever.

That article was laughable AT BEST.

And FTR - I have a 12 year old whom LOVES Epcot - and not even for the 'learning' aspect of it. He's always loved it - the shops, the food, the ambiance... the park where you can kick back and just ENJOY yourself.

That woman is a twit.

Prices in Orlando are skyrocketing, with theme park hot dogs costing a whopping $7 and a one-day entry ticket at Disney World soaring to $71 per adult (defined as age 11 and over—tell that to the DMV).

Ummm...no. A hot dog is $4.25. A hot dog combo, which includes chips and a large beverage, is $7. But thanks for playing. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter