• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Front entrance changes????

dennis46c

Earning My Ears
Last fall it seems I was reading that Disney was changing the front entrance and possibly eliminating or moving the surplus lot. However, I could never understand the changes and when it was over, there wasn't any real update. Last time we were there, late April 2010, we drove in and through the gates, checked in but becasue our site wasn't ready, we pulled ahead and to the right, through a lift gate and into the surplus lot. I believe the kennel was on the left after we passed through the lift gate. Is it still basically the same after the contruction? We still plan on being early in the day and want to make sure the surplus lot still exists with some chance of parking in it for a few hours. We will be there the last week in March. :cool1: Thanks for your help!!

We were there in Nov. and it was as you described it. The surplus lot was still there. Happy Camping.:goodvibes

We were there last month, and it's still the same. No construction.

I believe there is a gate to exit the overflow lot now so that only busses can enter. This was supposed to keep people from slipping into the overflow lot, parking for free and hop a bus to anywhere they please. Whether that worked or not is another topic but that was the only significant change, that and the kennel shutting when the new pet care center opened around the corner. The overflow is still there for campers who need it on the day of arrival or day of departure or to park a trailer/other vehicle during their stay, but I think this requires a pass that can be obtained at the front desk.

The gate that OP referred to is no longer at the location it was for years but has been updated and moved to the other end of the same road, at the other end of the surplus lot. In other words if you check in and your site isn't ready you can do the same exact thing you did before, there just isn't any gate where it used to be. It's now past what used to be the kennel. Hope that makes sense. Also, what used to be the kennel is now the TCD ranch.

Thanks again! The clarrification really helps and I think in earlier posts it was talk about moving the gate that confused me, I thought they were talking about the main entrance with the card or key cards. The move makes sense becasue anyone could get into the overflow lot.

Okay, so now I'm confused.

We arrive in 4.5 weeks and usually pull into the overflow lot and park, then walk over to the check in and see if our site is ready. If it's not, we just relax near our motorhome or take our dogs for a walk. Can we still get into the overflow lot from the FIRST entrance near where the kennel used to be - or do we go into the check in line and pull off to the side into the overflow lot? :confused:

Okay, so now I'm confused.

We arrive in 4.5 weeks and usually pull into the overflow lot and park, then walk over to the check in and see if our site is ready. If it's not, we just relax near our motorhome or take our dogs for a walk. Can we still get into the overflow lot from the FIRST entrance near where the kennel used to be - or do we go into the check in line and pull off to the side into the overflow lot? :confused:

Sorry for the confusion. You cannot pull into the overflow lot, from the entrance near where the kennel was, until you have checked-in and gotten a keycard. We used to pull in there first and then go check-in also but you have to go through the guard shack now. Just tell the guard that you want to check-in inside and they will direct you to the overflow lot. Once you have a key card you will be able to enter through the gate that was near the kennel. The gate has been moved down the roadway alittle but still on the same path. The entire overflow lot is controlled by keycard now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter