Frontera Cocina, Homecomin' or Morimoto Asia

What's your favourite Disney Springs restaurant

• Total voters

lolomarie

Mouseketeer
We're looking to have a late lunch, early dinner at DS with DH, Dmom, DS3 and DS10 months. We are considering the DxDp but will only use 3 credits and share with the kids. I'm not concerned about what the kids will like here, bad Mom alert, lol! We are doing lots of other restaurants for them (CP, T-Rex, Tusker breakfast) so I'd like this to be more tailored to what the adults would like. I didn't include Raglan because we previously ate there (and loved it) but would like to try something new. So what is your favourite? Or would you suggest something else that I haven't even included?

My take on one of your choices: Frontera Cocina.
I was not happy with the entrees there and was so looking forward to enjoying our complete meal.

The tortilla soup was delicious and finished to the last drop. It would have been nice if the waitress didn't spill some of the broth on the man during service but he made light of it probably since he knew I'd know how to clean it, LOL. The atomic guacamole was nicely seasoned as was the salsa and chips.
We ordered the steak asada which came with an extra cost enhancement of garlic shrimp during the end of Dec/start of Jan, mushroom torta, and a chicken dish - don't recall which one.
The steak arrived at our table pre cut (normal) but somebody in the kitchen dinna get the memo on how to cut a skirt steak properly; was cut incorrectly thus was too chewy. I truly enjoyed the carmelised plantinos but the rice and refried beans had no seasoning to speak of. The shrimp enhancement were a tad overcooked and not infused with garlic as I've known them to be at other eateries. The mushroom torta made the man happy but again could have used more seasoning from my POV. The chicken dish came with queso and as per DGD's request was placed on the side. The plantain and rice tasted just like white rice which was a tad strange but suited DGD since white rice was what she really wanted. All salads and veggie sides sent out with the entrees were perfectly made and wound up being most of what was finished. We had our leftovers boxed up but truth be known it was an exercise in futility. I had no guilt throwing it in the trash can when we checked out. We ordered a trio of desserts and the only one that was memorable at this time was the one with pecans. We cleaned that plate between the 3 of us and left lots of leftovers for the other 2. I do know that one of the orphan desserts was a seasonal offering.

The man wuvved whatever tequila Margareta he ordered...don't know what kind it was but probably was pretty traditional; I opted for water only through out the meal.

This eatery is not a credit to Rick Bayless' resume but when I learned that the people who run Epcot's Mexican restaurants also operate this place all the pieces fell into place. Planning a Chitown visit as I write and hope Mr. Bayless can restore my confidence in his informative cookbooks and restaurants that he actually oversees directly;).

We've an ADR for Morimoto Asia this trip so have high hopes but no review to date.

Homecoming is not on my radar. I have fond memories of my VA Nana's fried chicken and bisquits or rolls. Doubt many can live up to her standards, LOL.

Other places we've enjoyed at DS are Boathouse and a pizza spot, probably Blaze. I wasn't hungry when the others ate the pizza but they sure seem to enjoy it. Oh right and of course, Sprinkles, which could take me back to my early adulthood when I "proved" my independence by eating desserts for dinners.......yeah children are bizarre even when they can take care of selves......

Last edited:

I have been to all three and enjoyed them all, but IMO for a lunch with kids I would go Homecoming, Better variety and options for the whole family. My 12 yo loves the chicken and waffles. They had amazing cocktails and all 4 adults and 2 kids were happy with their food ( a rare feat in my family)

ETA (d/k why the system won't let me edit the original post): Frontera is very family friendly. Saw entire tables of extended families happily munching along and the overall setting was quite the joy to see. Bright but harmonious colours always make me happy.

We have been to all 3 and our favorite is Homecomin. My DD15 dreams about the chicken and donuts!
Art Smith has done wonders with Homecomin', I have yet to see a negative review.

My mom is worried about the fried chicken being too greasy. We're Canadian so the only fried chicken we really have is KFC, lol! Based on reviews I've read it sounds like Homecomin' is not overly greasy, what do you think? Do you think the food here is greasy?

My mom is worried about the fried chicken being too greasy. We're Canadian so the only fried chicken we really have is KFC, lol! Based on reviews I've read it sounds like Homecomin' is not overly greasy, what do you think? Do you think the food here is greasy?

Oh no, not at all. We've been there 3 times and DD always order the fried chicken and donuts and the chicken has never been greasy. It's cooked to perfection. It' doesn't even compare to KFC- it's a million times better. My DH and I split the thigh high chicken, hush puppies and deviled eggs. Same order every time and we have never been disappointed. We are going back over Thanksgiving week and plan on booking dinner here for Thanksgiving day so DH can get the smoked turkey. DD and I will stick to the fried chicken!

^^ What princesspiglet said!

Only been to Frontera. It wasn't terrible but I'm in no hurry to go back. I'd go with Boathouse or even House of Blues.

We have never eaten at Frontera so I cannot comment there. I am from the deep south and I found the chicken at Homecomin to be very average. However the deviled eggs I had there do have me thinking of a return visit. Cannot say enough good things about Morimoto's

If all you’ve had is KFC then you REALLY need to go to homecoming. They have a true southern fried chicken and the best I’ve had ( yes even better than grandmas) it is comfort food, so can be heavy, but not greasy at all.

Morimoto Asia. Better ambiance, better service, and better food (at least if you get the right items).

I do consider the fried chicken at Homecoming to be greasy, then again, it is fried chicken. Yes, it is also heavy, as are the mashed potatoes (overly fatty with the addition of bacon) with a very clotted gravy. The batter on the chicken had a slightly sweet taste which I found mildly offputting. The chicken itself was juicy, I'll admit, but got that way with a very heavy hand. Fries were average, along the lines of Wendy's. Salad was overdressed and slightly wilted. Bar drinks were very good; service was average. It's not a bad place, just not the comfort food spot I'd hoped for.

Loved Morimoto, Will be doing Frontera in a few weeks so cant weigh in on there yet. Homecomin was decent but probably a one and done for us. Living in SC, we have much better chicken, biscuits and sides. Kinda like the NE folks with their Lobster rolls or the NY or Chicago folks with Pizza.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter