• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Frontier Airlines - does anyone get the really cheap fare?

It's the getting there, or not, since they do cancel flights that makes it an adventure...

I've had flights rescheduled in the week before, I've had flights delayed, but I've never not gotten where I was going the day I was supposed to.

I'm looking at frontier as well. Departing Detroit 2/5 and returning 2/15. Even with the baggage fees, they are so much cheaper than Southwest. I am stumped as to what to do. We always flew AirTran and loved them. We have been using Southwest, but the rates for our trip coming up are very high.

Every week or so I get an email from Frontier advertising $19, $29 or $39 fares. Now I know SOMEBODY must get the el cheapo fare (right? or it'd be false advertising?), but have you, or have you known anybody, who's gotten one of those fares?
I know this was started in April ... but the answer for me is yes. I joined discount den & even with that initial fee, I paid $155 for 3 of us to fly to MCO (total, round trip from CVG) earlier this month. I've had several chances to book the lowest fare since & couldn't make my schedule work ... but I wouldn't hesitate to book again!

Some people get that fare -- those are the ones who do not mind being strapped to the tail of the plane :crazy2:

As someone else said, if you are a person that enjoys adventure travel, go for Frontier. If you like a little more sanity, you might consider another airline.
sat in row 6 on our outbound flight, row 10 on the way home ... we did not pre-purchase seats either. hardly the tail of the plane ;)

my ONLY compliant was the length of time it took us to get our bags on our return flight when we flew them in July. in spite of being told Frontier has the worst customer service ... we got our baggage fees refunded. we opted to pay for 2 carry on bags on our return flight in October vs 1 checked bag. The flight crew was fantastic, and overall we preferred them to Allegiant.

I have no doubt that some of the time, things go well on Frontier. And, all this "I had a good flight," "I had a bad flight" is -- seriously -- not very indicative of how any one person's experience is going to be, whether it be Frontier, United, SWA or any other carrier.

Somewhat better, is to look at the complaint stats compiled by the FAA (or whatever government agency does it). And, last I saw, Frontier's record was not too stellar. I will say, I am not a fan. I chose Frontier many times BEFORE they switched to the ULLC model and was extremely happy. The six times I have flown with them after the ULLC switch, not so much. As I mentioned earlier (maybe on another thread), wife absolutely refuses to consider Frontier since the switch.

I will say, now that their financials are looking good and they are (so they say), going to restore some of employee benefits/pay scales that they took away a few years ago, there may be significant improvement in customer service. But the fact that they even acknowledge that they have "issues" with customer service tells you something.

And, the stories of folks whose flights were cancelled and then they had to wait DAYS, well, that would give me pause.

Every week or so I get an email from Frontier advertising $19, $29 or $39 fares. Now I know SOMEBODY must get the el cheapo fare (right? or it'd be false advertising?), but have you, or have you known anybody, who's gotten one of those fares?

The trick is to travel on whichever days the fares apply to. Usually it's Tuesday, Wednesday, and...Saturday? I think that's the third one. I almost booked one last week ($49 from MCO to LAX is insanely good!) but my partner, the keeper of the bank statements, talked me out of it.

I just got a email from our airport in Milwaukee and Frontier has brought back some of their flights again, from Milwaukee to Orlando. I clicked on our dates in February and everything says sold out. Whenever an airline brings in new flights, they tend to be cheap, thus, everything is sold out.

I was one who got those fares! 15.00 each way, so for 2 of us round trip it was 59.00 with all fees and taxes. We flew Frontier earlier in the summer for much less than SWA. Don't get me wrong, I love SWA, but If I can fly RT for 2 at under 60.00. I'll do it. We have been using personal bags as our only carry on since much of our must haves are in the Owner's Lockers. Most of the STL routes have the new Frontier Seats, giving more room using memory foam. I find the new seats much more comfy than the thick foam and they give more room. We have purchased seats, and the last trip did not. I think I'll risk it from now on and not purchase seats. No delays, good non reserved seats. We are flying them over our Christmas Vacation at 1/2 the cost of SWA. We also have Allegiant in the STL area, but we can't use Magical Express if we use Frontier. So far, prices outweigh the extras, if I can get an extra trip in!

My son goes to college in Colorado (flies in/out of Denver to our home in Austin). I just got 4 tickets roundtrip Austin-Denver for the entire family to fly up next week for Parent's weekend for $340. And I got in on some of the really low fares too! Bought son's ticket home in December for $29 and his ticket back to school in January for $29. Frontier is coming to Houston in December and I'm hoping to get low fares to fly from Houston-MCO for our vacation in June. For low airfare we will drive 3 hours to Houston!

Just flew Frontier for the second time. No changes or delays to either flight. No complaints either! RT from Cincy to Vegas for 2 people with assigned seats and luggage on the last flight for just over $200 total for both tickets. Last time I flew out to Vegas I paid almost $300 for just one person so I think I got a pretty great deal! Would definitely fly with them again without a second thought.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter