Fruitcake

When I am ambitious and my husband agrees to crack all the brazil nuts, I make a fruitcake cookie that is divine. Fruitcake itself is ok, but I wish my grandmother hadn't taken her recipe to the grave with her. I can remember helping her make it, but I can't find a recipe. It was so dark that it was almost black, I know there was molasses in it and it baked for a long time in a 250 oven. After it was baked it got covered in cheesecloth and went to the basement where supposedly 1 shot of sherry a week got poured over it. There was a lot more than that because it seems like everyone in the family made sure they hit it once a week. It was so moist and delicious and I have tried for years to recreate it with no success...I just can't get it dark or moist enough.

There is fruitcake :crazy2: and then there is fruitcake :lovestruc.

I've never tried a boughten fruitcake that I liked, they have all been bad.

But, my MIL made wonderful fruitcake every Christmas. It's made with wine and candied fruits and nuts and dates and it is absolutely delicious. There is no citron or fruit peels to make it bitter.

She passed away 15 years ago, and just in the past few years I have taken up the tradition of making it. Thankfully she had shared her recipe with me. Just a couple days ago I made my batch for this year. We give small loaves to DH's two sisters, and loaves to our kids, neighbor, a couple friends, etc. They all enjoy it too.

It was so cute the other day when I had all the ingredients sitting on the kitchen counter and two of my younger grandchildren were here for a bit after school and my grandson, he's 9, saw the candied fruits on the counter and he looked at me with big eyes and a huge smile on his face, rubbing his hands together and said "I know what those are for!" I asked him if he liked Grandma's fruitcake and he vigorously nodded his head up and down. :) that kind of thing makes it all worthwhile. :)

I'm thinking of making a second batch, after Christmas when the grocery store puts the candied fruit on sale. :)

Not for me.

The only time I think of fruitcake is when I come across a :crazy:.

Never liked it. Spent a month at my great grandparents and watched the whole fruitcake process. They would send one to all the family members each year. Watching the process and how involved it was made me appreciate the gift but still didn't like the taste haha The fruit had to sit out on counter for couple days soaked in alcohol. Have thought about maybe trying to make one for my dad as he loved it so much but the thought of having stuff just sitting on my counter soaking annoys me :lmao:

I make my own fruitcake and my husband and I love it. It is a receipy that was handed down to me. There is no alcohol in it or on it as none of us drink. I have tweaked the receipy a little and taken out some things we don't like and added more of what we do like. I make it in small pans. It does take a long time to cook however once it is cooked enough for Christmas goes into the fridge and I vacuum seal the rest in individual packages and it goes in the freezer for the next year.
tigercat

I help my mother and her Rotary Club make over 1500 fruitcakes, using my grandmother's recipe. They are delicious and sell out every year! It helps that we bake them in September and they are covered with cheesecloth and dunked into brandy before they are wrapped until December.

Not usually, no. Some fruitcake is good, but rarely (I tend to prefer less fruit, more cake). I do love Panettone, which is a fruit bread.

No.

My friends do and I don't understand it. I try to taste their specialty cakes but to me, cake is cake with frosting.

I've tried it, I thought it was actually pretty good. I haven't even sampled it in probably 20 years however.

Yep! We love it...but must be Collin Street Bakery fruitcake.

When DH was deployed in Afghanistan, I sent 3 to him to share. No one would touch them, and he wound up eating most of them over about 2 months!

Yep! We love it...but must be Collin Street Bakery fruitcake.

When DH was deployed in Afghanistan, I sent 3 to him to share. No one would touch them, and he wound up eating most of them over about 2 months!

The ONLY fruitcake to eat is a Collin Street Bakery one. Now I want to order one... Have you ever had their pineapple and pecan cake? Oh my word, it is delicious! Give it a try.:thumbsup2

I don't think I've ever even had a real fruitcake, so I guess I couldn't really say if I like them or not.

I do make a "fruitcake" but it's not soaked in booze or filled with those neon green and red jelly things. It's just a cake with real dried fruits and nuts with an orange zest icing glaze.

The only fruitcake I will eat is from the Collin Street Bakery in Corsicana, TX. They sell to people all over.

I like a good fruit cake, and Collin Street makes some of the best. They have a store front in Waco now too. Too bad I can't eat nuts anymore. I blame them, and the chewy New Orleans pecan pralines, for getting diverticulitis:(

This is a fun one to resurrect. Timeless.

I'm VERY picky about my fruitcake so I can't say 'yes' or 'no'. There are two things that it can't be. Too dry (like when you bite into it and start coughing on the crumbs) and NO peel! I don't mind the fruit and nuts but I don't like marmalade kind of peel.

My aunt makes good fruitcake and there's a lady at our Christmas craft sale that makes good fruitcake but I don't buy it because my aunt makes hers LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter