• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Frustrated with lack of photopass in Disneyland

Bubbenstein

Mouseketeer
Just got back from a 5 day trip to Disneyland and the decrease in photopass photographers out was pretty evident, especially with character greets. The amount of pictures we have to download is far below what we generally have after a trip.

I was really annoyed with the news of the Disney World "photo boxes" replacing photopass photographers but it's better than nothing, I guess!

I suppose this is par for the course with Disney these days....strip away perks and increase the cost.

I have to say, we are frustrated with the lack of PhotoPass at most character locations. That said, I think this might be more of a seasonal issue for PhotoPass in general. We were there the week before Christmas and there were PhotoPass Photographers everywhere. We got so many candid shots, even a few photos of the kids eating churros and ice cream. So I think mileage will very depending on the time of the year.

I also think it’s related to the season. I was there on MLK day with a group of people and we were only able to find one photographer near the Matterhorn (since the castle is under construction).
Over the summer, fall, and Christmas time, I was able to find them all over the place.

I hope this is the case! Even with their Lunar New Year Character sets, at least when we were there several times, we had no PP. I found that odd, given it was a special event.

Fingers crossed we don't have the same experience in November!

Just got back from a 5 day trip to Disneyland and the decrease in photopass photographers out was pretty evident, especially with character greets. The amount of pictures we have to download is far below what we generally have after a trip.

I was really annoyed with the news of the Disney World "photo boxes" replacing photopass photographers but it's better than nothing, I guess!

I suppose this is par for the course with Disney these days....strip away perks and increase the cost.
Send in a detailed comment to Disney (use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the DLR webpage). Tell them how this negatively affected your experience as a guest. Management needs to know that guests care about PP, appreciate it, and want it back!

I agree, it’s frustrating. Mickey doesn’t even always have a photographer on Main Street. Mickey!
There was a PP CM with Mickey the last time we met him in front of the Opera House at night. She didn't have a camera, which I thought was odd. After she took our photo with our phone, I asked what happened to her camera. She said that Disney didn't give her one. I asked if they had run out before her shift. No, they just didn't give her one. And then assigned her to Mickey. Uh huh.

There was a PP CM with Mickey the last time we met him in front of the Opera House at night. She didn't have a camera, which I thought was odd. After she took our photo with our phone, I asked what happened to her camera. She said that Disney didn't give her one. I asked if they had run out before her shift. No, they just didn't give her one. And then assigned her to Mickey. Uh huh.

.... what?! That seems a wee bit crazy. Perhaps they are having some turnover/training issues. That just seems completely bizarre.

It's a bit bizarre for a PP CM to not have a camera.

A couple of weeks ago, I was in line to visit Captain Hook by Pinocchio's Daring Adventure, and the CM host was helping guests take pics with their phones; a few steps away, there were TWO PP CM's by the Sword in the Stone, apparently standing around doing nothing. I think one of them was training the other, but it still looked bad, and people were wondering why one of them wasn't working the Captain Hook line.

Yes - please email Disneyland and let them know your comments! Our next trip is in April so I'll be sure to write in if we have issues.

I'm such a fan of PhotoPass photographers. I have a cheap phone, no longer carry a camera, and they take the best photos!

Send in a detailed comment to Disney (use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the DLR webpage). Tell them how this negatively affected your experience as a guest. Management needs to know that guests care about PP, appreciate it, and want it back!

I agree. We need to bring it to their attention. Hopefully, more people will join in.

I hope this is the case! Even with their Lunar New Year Character sets, at least when we were there several times, we had no PP. I found that odd, given it was a special event.

Fingers crossed we don't have the same experience in November!
Yes! I wish there had been photopass photogs for the lunar new year characters. We didn't get any pics from the entire day at DCA :( Will be sure to email about our experience.

Yes... I was pretty sad about the lack of photo pass photographers as well at our trip in August...(I guess it is a bit late now to give feedback to guest relations)

I was actually pretty annoyed when I saw 2 or 3 photographers chatting with character handlers for well over 30 min right in front of great moments with me Lincoln instead of taken photos and there were like 5-6 M&G and just one had a photographer...

I really love the “pro” photos for the M&G at Main Street...because they usually take some more of the Interaktion than the guests you might hand you phone to do...(and they are of course a better quality)

I was so happy with the included photo pass in maxpass... but now it is not really that big of an add on...

Yes... I was pretty sad about the lack of photo pass photographers as well at our trip in August...(I guess it is a bit late now to give feedback to guest relations)...
I was so happy with the included photo pass in maxpass... but now it is not really that big of an add on...
Actually, it isn't too late since you have a trip coming up this year. I would write in saying exactly what you've said here about how the lack of photographers negatively affected your last trip, about how much you've appreciated the photographers in the past and why, etc. Then explain about your upcoming trip and how you were looking forward to the PP perk with MP, but how concerned you are now that it may not be that much of a perk after all. This is a totally valid concern for your trip, especially since you're coming from so far away.

I've been really sad to see the PP photographers seem to be on the decline - that is one of the biggest value adds for me. Having quality pictures of our ENTIRE group just doesn't happen very often, and neither hubby or I am particularly skilled with photography so getting a pro to do pictures has been a no-brainer every trip. I thought maybe this was just a 'off-peak' issue, but if it dates back to August or earlier, that doesn't sound good.

I've been really sad to see the PP photographers seem to be on the decline - that is one of the biggest value adds for me. Having quality pictures of our ENTIRE group just doesn't happen very often, and neither hubby or I am particularly skilled with photography so getting a pro to do pictures has been a no-brainer every trip. I thought maybe this was just a 'off-peak' issue, but if it dates back to August or earlier, that doesn't sound good.
My family got tons of photo pass photos in August. Maybe it's just on and off. I personally love having them, and it's a big part of the reason I get MP.

I still plan on doing MP for at least one ticket for our full 4 days in park just for the PP. Good to hear that there are still a lot of opportunities. The lack of photographer at the Royal Hall really surprised me. Any chance they bring someone back for that?

We have purchased the PP+ for a number of visits now. This past December it seems like there was a definite decrease in the number of photos were downloaded. It was more than half. I also had 1 goal in mind and that was to get our picture in front of the castle at night (Christmastime). We got there an hour and a half before the fireworks and the PP photographers had closed up shop! I realize that this was more our fault, but, I thought we were there in plenty of time.

I plan on writing Disneyland about the lack of PP photographers.

My last trip I had maxpass for the first time so I was more consciously on the lookout for photographers since it was included. The few times i saw ones they seemed to be... hiding... for lack of a better word. I even started joking with my friends about it. Perhaps they were waiting for a character to emerge or something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter