Full Hook-Up vs. Premium Site

Leleluvsdis

DIS Veteran
Hey y'all! We're looking at visiting the fort in July and aren't sure what type of site to pick. We've stayed twice in a full hook-up but had a 34ft travel trailer with 2500 mega cab ram then. We now have a 40ft fifth wheel with a 3500 long bed dually ram. Would we even fit in a full hook-up or would it be with trying?

There is another site, the Wilderness Princess, that has all the info you need.
Width, length, maps etc. of every loop and site

Leleluvsdis,

We did nearly the same. Old 5er was 31 ft and even with a long bed crewcab dually, we fit on a Preferred/Full site fine. The next 5er was 42 ft and I stuck to the Premiums. There are some sites in the Full loops that will fit a bigger rig. I reserved a Full for January next year. I was just going to call down and have my total length added to the reservation, but I just sold the truck and camper and picked up a MH.

j

Yes the Princess site is a good resource but since you don't reserve specific sites at Fort Wilderness, only a general category, you never know if you will end up in a site that can accommodate the length of the trailer-tow vehicle combo (even if you note it in your reservation).

For combos that size, Premiums will be your best bet - you would fit in all of them. You could take a chance with the Full (some you won't fit in) or go with a sure thing in the Premiums. I know there is a cost difference involved so the choice is yours.

Bama Ed

PS - one time at the Fort I provided length/size info and got a site assigned that I should have fit on. I drove down to it and somebody was set up on it (guess they didn't like the one they were given and helped themselves to a different one - MINE). I had to call the front lobby and ask for a different one from what was left over.

I've not had a problem with having a few sites in mind and checking availability at check in. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Has worked out fine.

I've not had a problem with having a few sites in mind and checking availability at check in. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Has worked out fine.

That's an okay strategy. It depends on the time of year and combined length and time of day you arrive.

During busy seasons, if you arrive late in the afternoon, there are fewer sites available in your desired category. Especially since with early on-line check-in people can arrive hours after their campsite has been officially "assigned" ) and can't be swapped out. Even though they haven't arrived until possibly after dark.

Glad it worked for you.

However, that strategy doesn't work as well for everyone arriving across twelve months any day of the week any time of day. That's what I was trying to help the OP with - the safest bet. Or take a chance.

Bama Ed

PS - plus it helps to know if your trailer+TV size is borderline Premium or not. 60 feet (TT+TV) or less doesn't require/benefit from a Premium site. Anything less than that has a good chance of fitting in a Full. Longer the odds are a Premium is a better fit.

You will still fit on most of the fulls. I had a 32 foot TT and F-250 and found some premiums that I would not fit on, so it goes both ways. However, if you're mainly seeing in general would you fit on the average full hookup, the answer is yes. Just remember the sand pad at the rear if you are worried about extra dirt in the camper. I keep my original 10x20 foot outdoor carpet that I bought in the beginning for just in case I stay on a full hookup so I can cover the sand pad up. I've always stayed on premium, but my next trip I booked a full hookup.

Having sites in mind that you might want is not a bad idea. I actually keep a list with me that has 10 sites that I've always wanted and look for them when the site I'm assigned is not to my liking. I've only once gotten one of those 10 sites when I asked about them on arrival. I keep trying though.

Hey y'all! We're looking at visiting the fort in July and aren't sure what type of site to pick. We've stayed twice in a full hook-up but had a 34ft travel trailer with 2500 mega cab ram then. We now have a 40ft fifth wheel with a 3500 long bed dually ram. Would we even fit in a full hook-up or would it be with trying?
We’ve had a similar set up with a dually f-350 crew cab extended bed fifth wheel trailer around 40 ft. We have fit in multiple full hook ups. The premiums are a lot easier to get into but with some practice you’ll fit in the full.

We’ve had a similar set up with a dually f-350 crew cab extended bed fifth wheel trailer around 40 ft. We have fit in multiple full hook ups. The premiums are a lot easier to get into but with some practice you’ll fit in the full.
Even if you "fit" in the published dimensions of a FHU site, the loops themselves might be too tight a fit for a rig your size. After looping in the golf cart many times, I always thought some of those full hook-up sites would be really, really difficult to back into with our 37' 5er and GMC 3500 dually. I know we are pushing 60' total length and it think the effort required to back into a FHU site may be beyond my capability from those narrow lanes, or trying to dodge those inconvenient trees/trash cans opposite your site. I'm not an OTR trucker and don't have their experience to fall back on. I've always stuck with Premium or PMeadows. FWIW.

When at FW in October I know of 2 sites close to us in 1100 loop that there was no way I'd get my 35 foot 5er and f-250 in. One was across from Bert and Kris. Premium loops are not all easy. 1400 loop for example (Little Bear), and 400 loop can get pretty tight in places. Little Bear should of been a tent loop.

Yes that sight across from us was a bear. between the small fence, the trees, the utility box, and our car completely on our sight not hanging off. we had to move the car. Our site was fine and we have a motor home.

We did stay in the 2100 loop in Feb with our 41 ft motor home and a rav. We did not have any problems getting in. We did have our back wheels on the sand pad.

In the video you can see the site that the two posts above reference. This was us pulling in to the 1100 loop with a 43 foot fifth wheel and a Volvo 730 semi cab. It is about 3 feet longer than your truck.
Will you fit in a FHU, depends, how skilled are you at backing up ? Some of those loops are tight. Some premiums are tight also. We stayed in 100 with our small trailer, upon going to the 43 footer we always got a premium. It is nice to park the truck next to your camper, as the sites are wider.
Just my 2 cents.

400 loop can get pretty tight in places.
We had premium site 409 in October. When we got there, there was a golf cart parked on the dirt one site up across. In the site directly across there was a pickup parked at the end of the site, not in the loop but right up to it. I had no place to swing with the golf cart till they moved it. With the pickup, my wife was able to guide me in, but there was inches between my front end and the pickup. I have my dash cam video like Chris's I would post but I haven't figured out how to make it a "real" video yet! LOL
Did figure out how to do a screen grab! Our site is just in view on the left.

Last edited:
Yep, that's my point. Premium can be just as tight as the full sites. Just depends.

Even if you "fit" in the published dimensions of a FHU site, the loops themselves might be too tight a fit for a rig your size. After looping in the golf cart many times, I always thought some of those full hook-up sites would be really, really difficult to back into with our 37' 5er and GMC 3500 dually. I know we are pushing 60' total length and it think the effort required to back into a FHU site may be beyond my capability from those narrow lanes, or trying to dodge those inconvenient trees/trash cans opposite your site. I'm not an OTR trucker and don't have their experience to fall back on. I've always stuck with Premium or PMeadows. FWIW.
Our last trip we were in 2100 loop and it was so hard to get in. It has me gunshy on doing full hook up again but when we’ve driven through premium some of those look just as small. I’m so torn because it’s a pretty significant savings to do full hookup. I know 2100 was a cabin loop converted to campsites. Would that make a difference?

Yes that sight across from us was a bear. between the small fence, the trees, the utility box, and our car completely on our sight not hanging off. we had to move the car. Our site was fine and we have a motor home.

We did stay in the 2100 loop in Feb with our 41 ft motor home and a rav. We did not have any problems getting in. We did have our back wheels on the sand pad.
We stayed in 2100 our last trip and the site was nice but it was a nightmare getting in. It didn’t help that people both across and beside us were parked all over the road - I’m talking we wouldn’t even fit between the cars to pull past our site - plus there was a fence/revenue to the right corner and trash to the left corner. It was just a horrible site to get in in general.

There is nothing more FUN than checking in at FW and going to your site.
Early is BETTER, at least you can see what your gonna hit if it were dark.
But then some stuff just jumps out and you know what. Your ****** D
Stratman summed it up if it's gonna be in the way, rest assured it will be there.
I've knocked on doors more than once to have some STUFF moved so I can back in to my site.
Luckily someone was there.
Just remember the Fort was built to accommodate much smaller rigs. Not close to what is on the road now.
Good luck !!!

There is nothing more FUN than checking in at FW and going to your site.
Early is BETTER, at least you can see what your gonna hit if it were dark.
But then some stuff just jumps out and you know what. Your ****** D
Stratman summed it up if it's gonna be in the way, rest assured it will be there.
I've knocked on doors more than once to have some STUFF moved so I can back in to my site.
Luckily someone was there.
Just remember the Fort was built to accommodate much smaller rigs. Not close to what is on the road now.
Good luck !!!
Agreed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter