• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Full Vaccination Required Ages 5+ Starting 1/13/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
That rules us Brits out then! I'll ring to cancel in a few days once the phone lines have calmed down. Good luck to Disney if they keep this insane policy. Looks like we will be waiting a good few years before we can even get to the US unvaccinated. Oh well, it is what it is.

Our family of 5 is out for sure. I’ll keep watching the you tubers report but guessing DCL going to have to start catering more and more to adults. So disappointed as we loved our trips and have ‘loaned’ DCL a huge chunk of money since 2019 in hopes we’d be back… could have made some decent returns on that $$ too. Doh!

The parks are catering more and more to adults, it would not surprise me if the DCL did as well. We are an all adults family and had put cruising on the back burner. While we had been looking at DCL once the pandemic hit the idea of a ship with a large percentage unvaccinated children, we stopped looking. There was nothing they could do to get us back on the ship except for a vaccine mandate.

With this news I'm already online looking at our options. I doubt we're the only adult groups. Just the few for spring I priced out are already more reasonable than they were pre-pandemic - and that is without a discount which I'm hoping for (FL).

Last edited:

Agreed. My 6 year old has a rare autoimmune disorder and can't be vaccinated. Just cancelled our cruise for our family this afternoon.
So sorry you had to cancel :( My 5 year old has a history with an autoimmune issue and has been advised not to vaccinate. I'm happy younger children have the option to get vaccinated, but I worry about the exclusion of those who shouldn't get vaccinated.

So sorry you had to cancel :( My 5 year old has a history with an autoimmune issue and has been advised not to vaccinate. I'm happy younger children have the option to get vaccinated, but I worry about the exclusion of those who shouldn't get vaccinated.

Has anyone contacted DCL to ask about documented medical exemptions?

We are sailing on the first Hawaii cruise (and rebooked from the cancelled cruise). My littlest turns 5 years old on Feb 25th. I don't think we'll have enough time for her to be considered 'fully vaxxed' with first and second dose, and waiting time. And we'll be outside of the 5 week grace window. I think in Canada we will be 8 weeks between doses. So gutted. We have 7 people booked, our pre-cruise hotel booked, our Aulani stay booked, and excursions in Hawaii booked. We've been counting down the days, after counting down the days to the cancelled cruise. 5 weeks seems awfully arbitrary based on the dosing schedule that's being proposed for 5-12 year olds likely being 8 weeks

So anyone with a birthday within 5-9 weeks of sailing can't sail even with one dose and a test, yet unvaxxed within 0-5 weeks of their birthday are free to sail with testing. THAT makes no sense.
I believe the vaccines are given based on birth year so you might be able to get vaccinated as soon as Jan 1 and have her be fully vaxed by the cruise. Maybe check with your doctor or local health agency to see

I am not sure the normal numbers, but if DCL goes to 5 plus being fully vaxxed, do the numbers support being over 95% vaxxed for a mask optional, semi pre covid experience like many of the adult only lines have been doing? Does the under 5 crowd typically make up more than 5% of the population?

I am really, really hoping this is the case. We're cruising in January after the vaccine mandate and I'm hopeful at least some 5+ kids activities will be more normal

The parks are catering more and more to adults, it would not surprise me if the DCL did as well. We are an all adults family and had put cruising on the back burner. While we had been looking at DCL once the pandemic hit the idea of a ship with a large percentage unvaccinated children, we stopped looking. There was nothing they could do to get us back on the ship except for a vaccine mandate.

With this news I'm already online looking at our options. I doubt we're the only adult groups. Just the few for spring I priced out are already more reasonable than they were pre-pandemic - and that is without a discount which I'm hoping for (FL).
Just curious how you think you the think parks are catering more to adults? I’ve been four times this year and haven’t noticed a lack of families with kids. Disney has always marketed to families and kids, and I haven’t seen any evidence that Disney is going to change that.

Just curious how you think you the think parks are catering more to adults? I’ve been four times this year and haven’t noticed a lack of families with kids. Disney has always marketed to families and kids, and I haven’t seen any evidence that Disney is going to change that.

Well it is something that has been discussed for years here and elsewhere. I'll give a few examples but I am in the parks 4-6 weeks a year and the percentage of adults over kids is much bigger than it was a decade ago. Yes, Disney markets to families but they keep adding more and more for adults, they do have more cash per head to spend. Disney is getting expensive too, so many reasons to focus on the adult dollars as they price out some families. I've seen very little added for kids (extras).

- Epcot Food & Wine Festival is now over 4 mos long. I remember when 6 weeks. Geared to adults.
- Epcot Flower & Garden Festival is now over 4 mos long. Mostly geared to adults.
- Epcot Art Festival is now 2 mos long. Plenty for kids but festivals are heavy with drinking.
- Four big running events geared mostly to adults.
- Alcohol added to MK restaurants
- Alcohol at all Dessert parties, now even in MK!
- Addition of more rooftop/expensive dining
- Addition of more bars (Oga's, AbraCadabar, Nomad Lounge, Jock Lindsay, Trader Sam ..) and renovation of other bars in hotels
- Restaurants that appeal to adults, tougher $ for families like Space 220
- Many events over last 5-6 years geared around drinking; Highway in Sky, Club Villain, CG 50th Celebration around alcohol, Culinary events.
- Expansion at Disney Springs with lots of bars, expensive shopping, restaurants with huge bar menus, not exactly too much kid fun there.
- Many families with young kids are feeling priced out.
- Less hours with increase in After Hours Events, too late for many families plus the price. Know many adults who bought just this ticket. I've been 3 times and seen mostly adults.
- Many of the tours (most on hold now) are geared for adults, some with minimum ages.

Again I don't think they will stop marketing (commercials etc) to families because they hope to hook kids while they are young to keep coming back for their lifetime BUT I do think they will continue to focus heavily on their offerings to adults. $$$ in the bank now.

Well it is something that has been discussed for years here and elsewhere. I'll give a few examples but I am in the parks 4-6 weeks a year and the percentage of adults over kids is much bigger than it was a decade ago. Yes, Disney markets to families but they keep adding more and more for adults, they do have more cash per head to spend. Disney is getting expensive too, so many reasons to focus on the adult dollars as they price out some families. I've seen very little added for kids (extras).

- Epcot Food & Wine Festival is now over 4 mos long. I remember when 6 weeks. Geared to adults.
- Epcot Flower & Garden Festival is now over 4 mos long. Mostly geared to adults.
- Epcot Art Festival is now 2 mos long. Plenty for kids but festivals are heavy with drinking.
- Four big running events geared mostly to adults.
- Alcohol added to MK restaurants
- Alcohol at all Dessert parties, now even in MK!
- Addition of more rooftop/expensive dining
- Addition of more bars (Oga's, AbraCadabar, Nomad Lounge, Jock Lindsay, Trader Sam ..) and renovation of other bars in hotels
- Restaurants that appeal to adults, tougher $ for families like Space 220
- Many events over last 5-6 years geared around drinking; Highway in Sky, Club Villain, CG 50th Celebration around alcohol, Culinary events.
- Expansion at Disney Springs with lots of bars, expensive shopping, restaurants with huge bar menus, not exactly too much kid fun there.
- Many families with young kids are feeling priced out.
- Less hours with increase in After Hours Events, too late for many families plus the price. Know many adults who bought just this ticket. I've been 3 times and seen mostly adults.
- Many of the tours (most on hold now) are geared for adults, some with minimum ages.

Again I don't think they will stop marketing (commercials etc) to families because they hope to hook kids while they are young to keep coming back for their lifetime BUT I do think they will continue to focus heavily on their offerings to adults. $$$ in the bank now.
I agree 1000%. What I know now I find WDW much nicer with older kids. It’s just simply too much money plus the added stress of taking toddlers and smaller kids. IMO The way Disney is now for us preteen at the earliest. Major factor being they can handle a full day. It’s too expensive to waste time napping. Just my experience. Disney does cater to an adult crowd. On my last trip I saw actually a few bachelorette parties/trips.

They are obviously getting a large amount of calls on this issue. It was 30min wait time to have the first call answered and another 20minutes now waiting on an escalation.

I don't know about that. Haveing recently gotten back from a cruise . I have had to call twice regarding
mistake on bill. On hold over hour and a half both times. The day we got back my daughter left her
airpods....that was a hour hold. This was all recent calling all hours.

I wonder if more cabins for will open up for certain cruises. I just looked for Hawaii
and didn't see anything.

My brother and his girlfriend went in Octoboer. It was only his 2nd time. Years ago we brought him
with us to visit and he said never again. He thought it was too crowded too many kids strollers etc.

Fast forward his gf thought it would be a nice surprise since he is big Star Wars fans to go for a
week. To my surprise he really had a good time and kept texting me how he felt it was a different
"vibe". They actually added another week to stay. They are what a new term is going around on
Disunplugged..."DINK". DOUBLE INCOME NO KIDS. So they were spending freely. I have seen the
writing on the wall for a while and kinda sad. My best memories are taking my kids when they
small.

Last edited:
My brother and his girlfriend went in Octoboer. It was only his 2nd time. Years ago we brought him
when us to visit and he said never again. He thought it was too crowded too many kids strollers etc.
Fast forward his gf thought it would be a nice surprise since he is big Star Wars fans to go for a
week. To my surprise he really had a good time and kept texting me how he felt it was a different
"vibe". They actually added another week to stay. They are what a new term is going around on
Disunplugged..."DINK". DOUBLE INCOME NO KIDS. So they were spending freely. I have seen the
writing on the wall for a while and kinda sad. My best memories are taking my kids when they
small.

Double Income No Kids is from the 80s/90s. Not a new term, and yes I'm part of that generation :-(

I agree 1000%. What I know now I find WDW much nicer with older kids. It’s just simply too much money plus the added stress of taking toddlers and smaller kids. IMO The way Disney is now for us preteen at the earliest. Major factor being they can handle a full day. It’s too expensive to waste time napping. Just my experience. Disney does cater to an adult crowd. On my last trip I saw actually a few bachelorette parties/trips.

Yes. My kids have been going since 1 yr/3 yr/4 mos - now 20s and 30s - but I likely would not be repeating that in this day and age. We were paying under $100 per night onsite (moderate), our big splurge was $114 for AKL and WL. We didn't mind mid day breaks and naps because tickets were low and lasted forever. We would buy the biggest ticket and use a couple days at a time mixing in resort days. I think my oldest first character meal was $8 each and that was a splurge. Even then once a year was usually it with kiddies.

Once my kids were adults we started going about 6 times a year. I LOVE going with my adult kids who have their own money, and we can enjoy all these festivals and new bars! We have a great time from a whole different view point and Disney offers us more adult fun than we have time or money for. We enjoy that there are so many other adults also having a great time. We have actually made some best friends at Disney events! 💙

Yes, Epcot is bachelorette heaven and Disney has really upped their Wedding business, expanding options. I think Disney also had their convention business really full steam until pandemic. I think there will be a focus on that next year - again more adults that will have extra time and money to spend.

when us to visit and he said never again. He thought it was too crowded too many kids strollers etc.

small.

Don't get me wrong I have great memories with my kids with tons of photographs and videos to prove it. But now I'm making lots more memories with them. This summer we were gifted a 3 bedroom at Marriott World Center - I thought relaxing and hitting some Orlando adult spots - nope DD said we are doing ALL the parks. So 6 adults hit Disney 4 days, Universal 2 days and we had a blast - spending plenty! Disney is smart to target the pocketbooks that want to make it an annual pilgrimage or more to eat, drink and be merry.

I think DCL could be successful in amping up the adult venues and offerings, especially if they wish to maintain the vaccine mandate requirement. I am def interested in DCL now and exploring.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter