• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fun Life Choice Poll

What would you do if you had the financial resources for one of these pruchases?

• Total voters

China Expat

DIS Veteran
Hello All,
I am lucky to be nearing retirement and am set with my retirement plan. I am planning on doing one of three things in two years. Would love to know what other Dis folks might do if given these three options and had to choose one!

Honestly...I wouldn’t pick any (no offense), but since there was a none option I picked the car.

Whatever you choose I hope you have happiness with it :goodvibes

I voted for the cottage. The Oregon coast is beautiful. I've visited the area around Waldport/Yachats/Florence many times. And yes, DH and I have daydreamed about buying a place out there and then the reality of Oregon in winter hits us and we agree that Tampa Bay is much better.....

Unpopular opinion - Tesla's are over-priced trash. Just this weekend - "Tesla was ranked the lowest of 32 brands in the 2020 J.D. Power Initial Quality Survey, thanks largely to build quality issues reported by owners."

Of those 3, I'd travel for a year. DW and I are contemplating doing that when I (hopefully) retire in a few years. We listened to a Rick Steves podcast interviewing this retired couple that's been traveling the world for years.

(They have a cool blog: )

https://seniornomads.com/
We're seriously contemplating selling our house when I retire and taking a "senior gap year" (or more!) before we get something else.

I picked Tesla by default (no desire to travel the world and no US travel planned).

Travel almost always wins out when I'm making decisions about my time and money, so that's the one I'd pick. I hope to spend a year or so traveling solo after the kids are grown, and DH and I have talked about spending a year or more living in an RV when he retires before settling into a downsized house somewhere with less awful weather than we have here in Michigan.

Those are very personal choices and I wish you joy in the choosing!
I purchased land in Panama for my beach house retirement experience and plan to do more world traveling as well. I don’t drive or plan to learn so the car has no appeal.

Personally, I don't have an interest in the Oregon coast, but if I coukd buy something on a beach in a warm climate...that's what I'd do, so if you like the Oregon coast, then I say do that

Cottage on the Oregon Coast. But maybe I'm biased since living in a beach cottage has always been a dream.

I would also love to travel but not sure I'd want to do an entire year at once.

Have no interest in a Tesla.

I'm already retired, and planning to travel when available. The other two things wouldn't interest me at all, although, I would take a beachfront condo in the Caribbean.

You couldn’t pay me to own a Tesla or live in Oregon, so I guess my vote would be for travel. I would not want to travel for a whole year at once though, I like being at home too much!

I’m assuming the beach cottage is a vacation home and not going to be your permanent residence. I would go this route as I love the Oregon Coast and it can be used as a vacation rental while you are not there. You can then use this added income to travel the world.

Travel. :boat: I agree with a PP to spread the travel out over time rather than cramming it all into a single year.

A car is a car is a car. It's just a mode of transportation to me. I prefer to buy a gently used high quality model, rather than pay the new-car premium.

The cottage in Oregon is going to have to be maintained year-round, so consider the financial & effort costs of that if serious about buying. I would prefer to just rent a cottage when I saw fit, and then could vary the location of where we rented, as well as not having to worry about maintenance.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter