• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Future change to allow strollers on buses (with kids still in them, possibly sleeping)?

Should strollers eventually be allowed to stay open with or without kids on Disney buses?

• Yes

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 146 98.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DVC Dom

Earning My Ears
DVC Gold
Curious to everyone's thoughts on this one. For starters, I have 3 kiddos (between 1 and 6), and we tend use a stroller for one or two kids (and occasionally two kids are sleeping when we hit the buses). We have visited a several cities in the US and abroad that do not require strollers with kids to be disassembled and stowed, and it's been great - especially with our under 1 baby...we felt safer with her sleeping in your stroller, then having to take her out and hold her (and sometime waking her up in the process). Plus NOT having to take things out of the stroller to pack while keeping track of 3 kids was much EASIER to load/offload in those cities.

Basically, the exact same experience you get on the Monorail and SkyLiner! :)

Me, personally, I think the safety risk is overblown, since sitting sideways without a seat belt is not much safer if the bus crashes, tips over, etc. I also realize that with buses needing ECV space, there would need to be a further reduction of sitting space in the front (or at least more foldable seats).

But I'm curious what other people's thoughts and perspective are!

Cheers!

Keep in mind it's not because of safety it's because the spot that a stroller would take up could be used by someone in a wheelchair or an ECV to get back to their resort. The reason it isn't an issue on the monorail is that it's more spread out than a bus is with multiple doors for people to enter

Having traveled in the past with someone who needed to use an ECV, we have experienced situations where we had to wait for three or four buses to come through before finally being able to board one (due to so many other ECVs and wheelchair users already being ahead of us at a bus stop, or already on that bus). If Disney were to allow parents with strollers to keep those strollers unfolded and take up the small amount of bus space currently reserved for ECVs/wheelchairs, the wait times would rise exponentially. I really don't believe that the majority of guests want to spend several hours standing in line waiting for a bus to get you to a park, or back to your resort at the end of the night.

All great inputs! Totally tracking the reality of not displacing dedicated space for ADA needs. My thought initially was keep the same space for ECVs/wheel chairs (I think they allow two due to limited tether capacity?), and make the front area more dynamic for strollers. Would keep the back seats (due to steps) the same.

Wouldn’t affect ADA capacity, but might limit number of people standing/sitting in front.

Could also be a option where you’d just wait longer with a stroller if they only allowed only 1-2 for each bus.

Just thinking through options that minimize thrash for others, but offering an ability for parents to allow their kids to continue napping/sleeping (which can be a struggle at times for those who remember little babies at that age :) )

Great feedback!
Cheers!

if I needed to hold my kid on a bus that is standing room only - I always waited for the next bus so I could sit. Always. Yeah it took longer but was much much better than expecting others to get up or worrying about holding my child.
Your comment about waiting for another bus to get a seat made me cry a bit inside.

Maybe I grew up in a different cultural view, but I always give up seats and space for expecting mothers and parents with infants and little children. Heck, I usually grab bags and strollers at airports whenever I see single parents with little kiddos. Any community-focused help counts!

Kids are our future, and also can get more injured if they don’t have a stable place while riding.

Sorry no one gave up their seat to ensure you had a seat for you and the baby 😢

There’s a woman who has made the news trying to get this done in NYC for the city bus system. Her POV is the impossibility of a lone mother taking two young kids out of their stroller plus holding the kids and the stroller to board buses. Also she said a baby can go airborne on a bus in an accident if not strapped into a seat or stroller (as well as other passengers and inatimate objects going airborne too) so she feels that holding the baby in arms is not safe. She keeps getting pushback from government because their argument is, if not strapped down, open strollers can go airborne and pose even more safety risk to all.

It’s a challenging topic.

There’s a woman who has made the news trying to get this done in NYC for the city bus system. Her POV is the impossibility of a lone mother taking two young kids out of their stroller plus holding the kids and the stroller to board buses. Also she said a baby can go airborne on a bus in an accident if not strapped into a seat or stroller (as well as other passengers and inatimate objects going airborne too) so she feels that holding the baby in arms is not safe. She keeps getting pushback from government because their argument is, if not strapped down, open strollers can go airborne and pose even more safety risk to all.

Yeah, there isn't an easy answer to this. There will be reduced space to other passengers (namely standing room). Part of the discussion is the type of societal support we feel is appropriate to our collective youth. It's currently more skewed to parental responsibility to overcome any obstacles, not the role of society to assist.

That used to be the view in America on ADA needs until the federal ADA laws implemented good reforms, recognizing that helping ADA people is a societal issue. There were definitely plenty of folks who opposed the ADA rules decades ago (citing costs, design changes, space constraints, etc.). But over time, we have all overcome those obstacles. I think we all appreciate a ramp here and there (even if we don't need one), and recognize the benefits of accommodating unique mobility needs (without requiring each mobility challenged person to find and pay for their own specialized support system to access buildings)

But the fact the conversations are starting at US city transportation boards is a good thing (for a few years now, Philadelphia already allows it "depending on conditions" (i.e., during non-peak hours)). A few overseas cities already allow it (or even prioritize it): Montreal, Sweden, Norway, Japan

In the states (we live in National Capital Region right now), both Alexandria, VA and DC proper were setting up pilot programs to look into it...COVID put the brakes on many of these a few years ago, but it seems more are looking into it again..namely LA (which is significant since they have far less metro capacity versus bus capacity than other large metros (like NYC, DC, Boston)

Maybe all this infrastructure funding (and higher gas prices) might lead to more buses, which could open the door to this type of policy change since you increase capacity as well.

One issue to consider is that ECVs/wheelchairs need space to navigate to and park in the specified locations and the driver needs to be able to access the area to tie down and release the wheelchair or ECV. Having a couple of strollers (or one big stroller) in the way would make this significantly harder.

Parking my powerchair is relatively easy- it has a small turning radius. Parking a 4 wheel ECV with a long, but legal, wheelbase is an entirely different matter.

And there needs to be more accommodation for power equipment than less. As PPs have noted, there is often a wait for one or more bus cycles. I think my personal record at Disney is 5 cycles, due to 4 wheelchairs ahead of me in line, one bus with broken equipment, and buses that already had the wheelchair spaces occupied. We waited about an hour and a half for transport.

Last edited:
One issue to consider is that ECVs/wheelchairs need space to navigate to and park in the specified locations and the driver needs to be able to access the area to tie down and release the wheelchair or ECV. Having a couple of strollers (or one big stroller in the way would make this significantly harder.

Parking my powerchair is relatively easy- it has a small turning radius. Parking a 4 wheel EVV with a long, but legal, wheelbase is an entirely different matter.

And there needs to be more accommodation for power equipment than less. As PPs have noted, there is often a wait for one or more bus cycles. I think my personal record at Disney is 5 cycles, due to 4 wheelchairs ahead of my in line, one bus with broken equipment, and buses that already had the wheelchair spaces occupied. We waited about an hour and a half for transport.
THIS👆

I’ve used an ECV at disney. I agree when using the buses people sitting in front section close to the middle door have to scoot away in their seats or even stand and get out of the way completely to leave enough space for the ECV to get in/out of the “parallel parking” inside the bus. Then the passenger resettles in their seat.

I wonder if there could ever be a disability only (+family members?) bus for ECVs that go to all or a bundle of resorts vs just having two spots on every specific bus. Or maybe not instead of but in addition to - as a supplement during busy times?

But staying on topic another issue w strollers on bus is we generally aren’t seeing single umbrella strollers but a lot of double side by side strollers. Those are about 29” wide. So over two feet wide… there’s just not enough space unless it’s an off peak empty bus. And even then…. It’s a lot of space needed for a couple of those.

Back in 90's, if a stroller was needed in the parks it could be rented at the front of the park. If moving to another park the stroller was returned and a receipt given so another stroller could be obtained at the next park at no additional cost. When we returned in the late 90's we were stunned to see strollers being taken onto the buses.

Frankly as crowded as those buses get, especially late at night with people who've been drinking and are tired, I'd be really worried about the kid in the stroller - like somebody losing their footing and accidentally sitting onto the child. Not sure I can get behind loading a stroller with a child into a packed bus.

I wonder if there could ever be a disability only (+family members?) bus for ECVs that go to all or a bundle of resorts vs just having two spots on every specific bus. Or maybe not instead of but in addition to - as a supplement during busy times?
This approach is “separate” segregated transportation and be considered unequal on its face (going to different destinations and not in the same timeframes, which is a violation of the ADA). I don‘t want to tour another resource on my way “home” at the end of the night.” Additionally, it’s unlikely that it would be any more efficient, and would likely cost considerably more (I’m sure you’ve heard about the sometimes large parties involved when aunts and all are included).

in your vision do stroller groups board after wheelchairs, who takes precedence, and who’s left at the curb? What happens if a family has two strollers? Does it make a difference if eaxh one is single wide? Double wide?

Last edited:
Imo it will never happen, and shouldn’t happen. There simply isn’t room on the buses to leave strollers open, especially those big wide double strollers. It’s simply not safe to have people standing and open strollers and ec. You know it’s a rule, so you should plan accordingly, I’d wear the baby out to the bus so if they fall asleep you don’t have to move them when folding the stroller,

I raised two children in Manhattan, NY who are 17 months apart. I traveled by bus, subway, or foot for many years with both children and a double stroller. It isn't that difficult and is just something you get used to doing. Planning was key. Travel light, use a backpack, baby bjorn (or something similar), and Patience.

I do not want to see unfolded strollers allowed on the Disney buses. I think that would be a logistical nightmare, leading to much longer waits for everyone.

I raised two children in Manhattan, NY who are 17 months apart. I traveled by bus, subway, or foot for many years with both children and a double stroller. It isn't that difficult and is just something you get used to doing. Planning was key. Travel light, use a backpack, baby bjorn (or something similar), and Patience.

I do not want to see unfolded strollers allowed on the Disney buses. I think that would be a logistical nightmare, leading to much longer waits for everyone.
Exactly.

Absolutely against it. Even with strollers folded, it‘s often difficult to navigate on busses. Last week we got on a bus that was pretty full. Several people were standing when we got on, but there were several seats in the back. We had to maneuver around standing people & folded strollers to get there. We’re in our 60s. We don’t have mobility issues, but I sure don’t want to get injured trying to maneuver around strollers in aisles. Or fall on some little kid trying to get around. And let’s face it. Not everyone is considerate of others, or pays full attention to their strollers or kids on buses. I can see a stroller sliding around or a kid sticking their arms & feet out while others are loading/ unloading. And who will the parents blame of their kid gets hurt as someone tries to get around them.

not gonna happen. the tie down spots are for mobility devices, not strollers. And they tie down wheeled conveyances for a reason.

also at WDW, there are so many strollers and such large strollers that there would no longer be room on the bus for anyone else, greatly reducing capacity per bus. I ride the DC metro daily and I see strollers perhaps once a week. no comparison.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter