• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Future change to allow strollers on buses (with kids still in them, possibly sleeping)?

Should strollers eventually be allowed to stay open with or without kids on Disney buses?

• Yes

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 146 98.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm making a general statement that people who can comfortably offer their seat to others should do so. I would never ask an individual person to do so because, like you said, I don't know their circumstances.

If you can, you should, if you can't, that's fine too!
I have been asked and told I should even when I said I could not safely. hopefully it has changed for the better as years have gone by

It’s the same reason they strap in wheelchairs, which aren’t that different from strollers, just bigger. They’re a big hazard when they throw on the brakes and the chair goes flying.

You can get a stroller as wheelchair tag from Disney that they might honor, if you’re using a stroller instead of a wheelchair. But they’d have to load it like an ECV and strap it down. They even block the wheelchairs on the skyliner with blocks. If you can fold your wheelchair and the rider is mobile, you can board like a stroller on a bus.

A regular stroller does not have tie down hooks or bars. A regular stroller would buckle with the force of a bus in an accident. Only things they can tie down are special strollers and wheelchairs and scooters that have tie down capability built in. Stroller as wheelchair is only for lines unless it is a specially made stroller with appropriate tie down capabilities.

And in case of emergency, how does one climb over all the open strollers in the aisle?

Several years ago, a few families traveling together boarded with three double city strollers. They felt the open area by the back exit would be a great place to put strollers. They all went to sit on the upper level....those buses that go up about three steps..... I sat thinking if we crashed , how do we get out....I did take a photo and showed it to guest services with time and bus number.

Most people aren't sensible, most people are rude. Most people don't have the courtesy to offer their seats to a mother, a senior, a veteran, or someone who just looks beaten down and exhausted. I won't be cast as a villain for suggesting that people should be kinder to one another.
I’ve got to disagree with you on this one. I use a quad cane and a power chair in public. In my experience, I don’t think Most people are rude, most people are just not paying attention, busy in their own head. For example, around me some people immediately hold open doors, etc. Other people suddenly appear startled by my struggle and then quickly try to help, and still others mumble “sorry” when they realize I got the door open and they didn’t offer any help.

It’s rare when people are outright rude. They are just not paying attention to the world around them. And disability just makes some people uncomfortable. Maybe 🤔 people are more thoughtless than rude.

I’ve got to disagree with you on this one. I use a quad cane and a power chair in public. In my experience, I don’t think Most people are rude, most people are just not paying attention, busy in their own head. For example, around me some people immediately hold open doors, etc. Other people suddenly appear startled by my struggle and then quickly try to help, and still others mumble “sorry” when they realize I got the door open and they didn’t offer any help.

It’s rare when people are outright rude. They are just not paying attention to the world around them. And disability just makes some people uncomfortable. Maybe 🤔 people are more thoughtless than rude.
And technology doesn't help all of this. Get your faces out of your phones people!

Believe it or not I was on a bus just this past April with a stroller open. We were entering a pretty crowded bus in the AM from Contemporary to AK. The driver was just trying to cram us on. My family of 3 (2 adults and a 17 year old) got on the front and stood. When I saw the open stroller I said something to the driver as we couldn't go any further. Ignored and another family got on and they could just barely get behind the yellow line. My daughter was kind of caught between a 6-7 year old, the holding bar and the stroller (which was just holding the cups of coffee-the children were in a seat). When the bus turned we all kind of ended up heading towards the stroller and couldn't keep our grip. I had to grab my daughter but she still kind of stumbled into the smaller child who was standing and the stroller. Not an apology from the stroller people. It is not a good idea to have open strollers on the bus.

Believe it or not I was on a bus just this past April with a stroller open. We were entering a pretty crowded bus
A few get a special tag which allows a stroller to be used instead of a wheelchair. I said something to a driver, he explained the circumstance. I looked and noticed the tag. I don't know if.thats what you observed

And in case of emergency, how does one climb over all the open strollers in the aisle?

Several years ago, a few families traveling together boarded with three double city strollers. They felt the open area by the back exit would be a great place to put strollers. They all went to sit on the upper level....those buses that go up about three steps..... I sat thinking if we crashed , how do we get out....I did take a photo and showed it to guest services with time and bus number.

What was the response from guest services? Did they agree it shouldn’t have happened?

No, I don't think that strollers should be kept open, especially with a child in them. Even if you try to strap them down, which I don't even know how you would do that, there is no way that those straps would hold the stroller if there was an accident. And think of the child. There is a reason why cars no longer put in just lap belts. I don't think some of you all are thinking this through. I get it, traveling with kids is not easy. I took my kids to WDW every year and most of those years my husband could not go with us. I planned ahead. I did not bring excess items to the park and always used a back pack so that my hands were free. I also just rented a stroller from the parks on my solo trips so that I did not have to deal with one. When my husband came with us, he dealt with the double stroller. I also did not keep my kids out so late that they were too tired to walk to the bus and back to our room. You have to adjust to your circumstances and realize that sometimes, you can't do everything that you want. But that also doesn't mean that you are not enjoying yourself. Life is what you make of it.

a veteran
Speaking as a daughter of a decorated WWII vet & wife of a Vietnam era one, please do not generalize vets as necessarily desiring anyone give up their seats on a bus for them Based upon that status alone.
As a military member myself (still in the service), this veteran idea I think lines up with Captain America's overall "thinking about others" viewpoint.
I’m sure captain America meant well, obviously, he identifies as patriotic :).

best intentions aside, it’s not a great idea to generalize & assume that those with a touch of silver in their hair or sporting a military affiliated hat/shirt would routinely expect special treatment. Naturally, a heartfelt “thank you for your service” Is always appreciated!

If there is one thing vets appear to have in common, it’s a sense of pride, derived from serving their country. This, whether they were welcomed home warmly or not.

the same sort of man referenced above, pushing ahem 70, routinely gives up his seat on public transportation for those standing near him; who obviously need a seat more. He is not alone, if you ride buses enough, you see it often.
Most people are rude, most people are just not paying attention, busy in their own head. For example, around me some people immediately hold open doors, etc. Other people suddenly appear startled by my struggle and then quickly try to help, and still others mumble “sorry” when they realize I got the door open and they didn’t offer any help.
Sorry to hear you’ve had these issues. from my perspective, don’t think people are hard-wired to be inherently rude. Just that, especially in a hectic & engaging environment that is so densely packed (such as Disney parks), people are less inclined to closely observe people surrounding them. This, is not to be confused with the true jerks who would just as soon step over you to get on RoTR.

I just couldn’t imagine a bus at closing, totally full and a family boards with an open stroller, how would they keep it from hitting those standing? Rolling over someone’s toes? If they have to stand, I just don’t see this being a happy ride for anyone.

Your comment about waiting for another bus to get a seat made me cry a bit inside.

Maybe I grew up in a different cultural view, but I always give up seats and space for expecting mothers and parents with infants and little children. Heck, I usually grab bags and strollers at airports whenever I see single parents with little kiddos. Any community-focused help counts!

Kids are our future, and also can get more injured if they don’t have a stable place while riding.

Sorry no one gave up their seat to ensure you had a seat for you and the baby 😢
Folks not giving up their seats at Disney is almost a given. I have rarely seen it happen. I have been traveling regularly (4-6 weeks a year) to Disney with my disabled adult son, clearly disabled, for last 16 years. I think maybe 2 or 3 times someone offered a seat to him and then I stand right in front of him but usually it would be me wrapping my arms around him and clutching a pole hoping we don't go flying. It has gotten more difficult so now we just wait for the next bus, if we even use the bus. I found it easier to just drive to the parks other than MK.

Disney is too crowded, with way too many strollers to reduce bus space just so they can be left open. I think there would be another multitude of safety issues if they allowed.

Last edited:
All great points. One area that amuses me though the concern of stroller failure (or strap failure) in a severe crash. I can tell you that if the bus rolled, hit a fixed obstacle, or hit another large vehicle head on (the type of sudden crash with such a deceleration that would "break" one of those straps, or a metal stroller axle....that anyone in the seats (or standing) would be thrown forward. The lack of seat belts would cause immense injury (if not death in some cases). Also, those straps are probably rated for 1000-2000lbs (if not higher), since they have to hold down motorized scooters, which weigh in some cases 5-10x the amount that a stroller does. Multiply by a few Gs, and those straps are designed for that.

While I totally get the crowded concern with open strollers, the idea that an infant is "safer" being held by a parent in the event of a severe crash, vs strapped into a 5-point harness in a stroller, I don't think is quite accurate. The reality is a parent in a sudden accident might involuntarily let go of the infant due to the deceleration forces at play (and potentially being hit by another person or hitting a bar). Also, a stroller weighs less than a human....in a severe crash, a 150-300lbs person will cause more injury to another person than a 30-100 lbs stroller (again multiply the weight be the deceleration Gs).

But again, if you take out the accident concern, plenty of valid concerns about a reduction in space for other passengers.

A few get a special tag which allows a stroller to be used instead of a wheelchair. I said something to a driver, he explained the circumstance. I looked and noticed the tag. I don't know if.thats what you observed
I have seen those before, but that particular tag was not on the stroller.

Speaking as a daughter of a decorated WWII vet & wife of a Vietnam era one, please do not generalize vets as necessarily desiring anyone give up their seats on a bus for them Based upon that status alone.

I’m sure captain America meant well, obviously, he identifies as patriotic :).

best intentions aside, it’s not a great idea to generalize & assume that those with a touch of silver in their hair or sporting a military affiliated hat/shirt would routinely expect special treatment.
I ask "would you like to sit?" I don't say "take a seat old man, your feeble bones can't possibly sustain the rigor of this bus ride and those of us with young flesh must coddle you."

10 times out of 10, their answer is appreciative, whether it's "are you sure? Thank you!" or "I'm okay, but thank you!"

More often than not, if I can tell that the bus is going to be full, I just don't bother sitting down in the first place. I find a spot to stand out of the way and let the people who need it take the seats.

I know this will really blow some minds and get me in trouble. I also stand for women.

Last edited:
More often than not, if I can tell that the bus is going to be full, I just don't bother sitting down in the first place. I find a spot to stand out of the way and let the people who need it take the seats.
perfect methodology

They don't allow sleeping babies inside wheeled strollers on buses because it isn't safe. Not because people are discriminating against parents of young children. I get that you want to see them "made safe" by putting extra space in the bus to tie down the strollers so that parents don't have to take the children out of the strollers. But then you have a bus full of open strollers. And very few people who aren't pushing strollers. And you need a whole other fleet of buses to deal with how many passengers you have to fit into them in order to move guests around the property. And if the bus has an accident, you also have a busload of panicked parents trying to get the children out of the tied down strollers. Not going to happen.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter