Future of Tortilla Jo's?

CaliforniaGirl09

DIS Veteran
Tortilla Jo's has been a staple of our Disneyland trips since it first opened--especially pre-pandemic. It's not the best Mexican food (I'm from California and Mexican, LOL!), but we love going early, eating outside, and sampling the margs :) We tried it a few times after COVID and were disappointed with the menu changes--especially the removal of tableside guac and the corn quesadilla.

On our most recent trip last week, we were so excited to see that tableside guac was back--even if the portion was smaller and the cost higher. While chatting with our waiter about how happy we were to see the guac back (and the food noticeably better than last time), the waiter mentioned that Tortilla Jos would be closing in Spring 2024 (he said April) and the building was going to be torn down. I guess they don't want two Mexican restaurants in DD with the new fancy one coming to the Catal space? Anyone else heard this? Anyone know what they are planning to put in that space?

I think this has been knowledge since D23 Expo 2019, or maybe I just assumed that this is what would happen.

I searched and couldn't find anything about it on the boards, but maybe I didn't get back far enough. Do you know what is going in that space? Is it the potential park expansion? The waiter didn't know.

I searched and couldn't find anything about it on the boards, but maybe I didn't get back far enough. Do you know what is going in that space? Is it the potential park expansion? The waiter didn't know.
I don’t know for sure. I don’t think that was announced. I can’t remember where Porto’s and Din Tai Fung are supposed to go.

We use to only get fast service at Ralphs but it doesn't offer anything but gumbo and beignets (which we still get lol) but for fast service Tortilla Jo's was the best on our last trip. Kids loved it and overall it was pretty tasty for the price.

I don’t know for sure. I don’t think that was announced. I can’t remember where Porto’s and Din Tai Fung are supposed to go.
Din Tai Fung is currently being built where the movie theatre used to be. Portos is going to go where earl of sandwich currently is (the former la brea bakery space). Portos is suppose to be a brand new building.

Din Tai Fung is currently being built where the movie theatre used to be. Portos is going to go where earl of sandwich currently is (the former la brea bakery space). Portos is suppose to be a brand new building.
I wish the Porto's was closer to the new Disneyland Villas, since we bought there. It's probably good that it won't be that close :rotfl2:

Will there still be an Earl of Sandwich in DTD?
I sure hope so. It’s our favorite and reasonably priced! I wish it would stay in the location it’s at. We love to grab breakfast there. (Actual Earl of sandwich, not the tavern part). I feel like Porto’s will be insanely crowded all the time and something we won’t make time out of day to experience.

I sure hope so. It’s our favorite and reasonably priced! I wish it would stay in the location it’s at. We love to grab breakfast there. (Actual Earl of sandwich, not the tavern part). I feel like Porto’s will be insanely crowded all the time and something we won’t make time out of day to experience.
I wish they'd put Porto's down by DLH and leave Earl of Sandwich as is.

That’s very strange because Disney confirmed last year they were keeping it since they were two different styles of restaurants

We like the tavern at Earl of Sandwich. When we were visiting last September we ate there and the burger we ordered was surprisingly one of the best burgers we've had when visiting Disneyland (we also really liked their fries). I hope they keep it around, it's such a nice option to have for quick meals outside the park.

Also, I'm surprised to hear they will be tearing down that building to put another there, will the new one be two stories or something?? Seems like a weird choice to not renovate the existing building for Porto's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter