• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Future runDisney Events

Status
Not open for further replies.
i contacted mine and her contacts are negative. rumor is that resorts say they need at least a 12 month lead time for any large events... which seems really stupid to me. why would resorts need to really do. she feels the announcement will be virtual again... i hope she is wrong. she also mentioned her team is still furloughed... not sure if she meant her rundisney contacts. im praying for races..please God

I'm not understanding this at all. It's not like people haven't already been making on-site reservations in anticipation of races. I've got two rooms reserved for Marathon Weekend in 2022, and I know I'm not the only one who's done the same. Handling crowds shouldn't be anything new to the Resorts division. Aren't they already preparing for that many people (or more!) for the Christmas season?

I'm not understanding this at all. It's not like people haven't already been making on-site reservations in anticipation of races. I've got two rooms reserved for Marathon Weekend in 2022, and I know I'm not the only one who's done the same. Handling crowds shouldn't be anything new to the Resorts division. Aren't they already preparing for that many people (or more!) for the Christmas season?
exactly, hence my confusion why her contacts would be saying virtual is more likely... i hope they are wrong. im holding on to positive hope

exactly, hence my confusion why her contacts would be saying virtual is more likely... i hope they are wrong. im holding on to positive hope

the side that needs to plan far in advance is rundusney themselves and the question is have they started any planning yet or not and none of us know. For resorts it shouldn’t be a big deal. The track shack side is.

We have a room for wine and dine weekend and MW and have since the 11-month window opened for DVC. Would be nice to know!

the side that needs to plan far in advance is rundusney themselves and the question is have they started any planning yet or not and none of us know. For resorts it shouldn’t be a big deal. The track shack side is.

I've got to think they've started the planning process. Distribution of the vaccine started in the US in December, and timeline always was it would be widely available by summer or early fall at the latest. Between wanting to take advantage of the whole 50th Anniversary stuff and the desire to get people back in the parks, I'd assume Disney would be extremely eager to return to in-person races as soon as possible, and 2022 always looked like a reasonable window to do so.

We have a room for wine and dine weekend and MW and have since the 11-month window opened for DVC. Would be nice to know!

Yup, same for us - booked two DVC rooms as soon as the window opened back in Feb. Several running friends have either already made reservations, or will rush to do so once an announcement is made.

Yeah, we are booked also - first DVC stay, I might add! So excited about that! But we are going to go regardless. But it would be cooler if MW was a go!

Yup, same for us - booked two DVC rooms as soon as the window opened back in Feb. Several running friends have either already made reservations, or will rush to do so once an announcement is made.
We were hoping that both would happen and we’d pick the one we were able to register for and the other would be an easy rental. One is Riviera (WD) and the other is Copper Creek (MW) for Christmas decorations

I've got to think they've started the planning process. Distribution of the vaccine started in the US in December, and timeline always was it would be widely available by summer or early fall at the latest. Between wanting to take advantage of the whole 50th Anniversary stuff and the desire to get people back in the parks, I'd assume Disney would be extremely eager to return to in-person races as soon as possible, and 2022 always looked like a reasonable window to do so.

Planning costs money and if you don't know for sure you can hold it in person are you going to spend the money to plan on a maybe?

I'm still hoping they kick things off with MW 2022 but hard to know how much planning has taken place so far.

Planning costs money and if you don't know for sure you can hold it in person are you going to spend the money to plan on a maybe?

I'm still hoping they kick things off with MW 2022 but hard to know how much planning has taken place so far.

You absolutely plan on a “maybe”. It’s called contingency planning. It may not be as fully fleshed out as under normal circumstances, but you don’t risk missing out completely on an opportunity simply because of uncertainty. I would be shocked if they didn’t have a variety of potential plans in place ready to execute based on conditions and projections existing on key dates where final decisions were needed.

So do we know if the rundusney employees who were furloughed have been recalled yet?
that was what my previous post was actually about...per my TA, they are still furloughed. Also per some responses to the original reddit thread - they also say they have been furloughed. Which is why I'm worried the announcement (if any) might not be positive. sigh.

that was what my previous post was actually about...per my TA, they are still furloughed. Also per some responses to the original reddit thread - they also say they have been furloughed. Which is why I'm worried the announcement (if any) might not be positive. sigh.

I have no doubt RunDisney could get a plan in place for Marathon Weekend but I'm not sure if the ROI is there for it. RunDisney has always been used as a way to either get people to the resort at low times or to get people to go multiple times a year that otherwise wouldn't. With the 50th anniversary coming up added to the pent up demand from a year of not traveling I'm worried that they will decide there is not enough profit to be made above and beyond what they would be making anyway.

I hope they get back to events for MW 2022 but my gut is telling me the first race back will be whatever they do in the spring. Originally I thought there was no way they would do Princess and not MW since they are so close together but I've started to wonder if using Princess, the smaller of the two, as a first race wouldn't be the smart thing to do.

I'm really hoping for the new spring race to be a F&W theme and if it is I'll be doing it.

Per the internet rumors I've been reading (my only source of information), weren't at least 4 people kept on fulltime to oversee the virtual races, etc.? I thought that's what I read about current staffing levels. It's possible they could already be in the early planning stages for the possible return of live events in 2022. That's what I'm hoping, at least! Given the $1B+ drop in revenue last quarter from the Parks division (from the earnings report last week), there's huge incentive to get runners back in person, spending money.

Per the internet rumors I've been reading (my only source of information), weren't at least 4 people kept on fulltime to oversee the virtual races, etc.? I thought that's what I read about current staffing levels. It's possible they could already be in the early planning stages for the possible return of live events in 2022. That's what I'm hoping, at least! Given the $1B+ drop in revenue last quarter from the Parks division (from the earnings report last week), there's huge incentive to get runners back in person, spending money.

I’d like to think getting runners back in the doors to spend money would be enough of a revenue generator to drive decision making but it still feels like it would be one of the last things on their minds right now. They have multiple resorts, restaurants, and everyday experiences (Fireworks dessert parties, character dining, etc.) that would appear to be much bigger revenue drivers on a day to day basis for which they still haven’t announced reopening schedules.

I’m also burying the lead, they still have limited capacity in the parks. I can’t picture them bringing back demand drivers until they have all of the resorts, dining, and experiences for that demand to fill reopened. There’s still time, and things seem to be changing more rapidly now than any period since the shutdown, but there is a lot of stuff I’d think Disney would prioritize being “back to normal” before rD race weekends IMO.

I’ve said before that I want to see an announcement on fireworks, parades, meet and greets, shows, and any other communal gathering events before I get excited about rD coming back. Thinking about the sheer scope of their operation that is still shut down or operating well below capacity has not helped my optimism this morning.

I’d like to think getting runners back in the doors to spend money would be enough of a revenue generator to drive decision making but it still feels like it would be one of the last things on their minds right now. They have multiple resorts, restaurants, and everyday experiences (Fireworks dessert parties, character dining, etc.) that would appear to be much bigger revenue drivers on a day to day basis for which they still haven’t announced reopening schedules.

I’m also burying the lead, they still have limited capacity in the parks. I can’t picture them bringing back demand drivers until they have all of the resorts, dining, and experiences for that demand to fill reopened. There’s still time, and things seem to be changing more rapidly now than any period since the shutdown, but there is a lot of stuff I’d think Disney would prioritize being “back to normal” before rD race weekends IMO.

I’ve said before that I want to see an announcement on fireworks, parades, meet and greets, shows, and any other communal gathering events before I get excited about rD coming back. Thinking about the sheer scope of their operation that is still shut down or operating well below capacity has not helped my optimism this. morning.

Yeah and that's the thing. Rundisney uses fireworks to start the races (though you could drop that easily), has meet and greets along the course (think you'd have an issue dropping those) and during the times the races go through the parks while open people will gather and watch like a parade.

So until they can get those large communial gatherings back I just don't see rundisney returning and as you said those are a higher priority. You go to some of the boards and there is still a decent sized group of people who have no plans to books until FW, M&G, Parades return so there is more money getting those back then rundisney as well.

That being said I'd love to see some announcement with a date.. be that April... be that next November. Something with a date of returrn to in person races would be a good thing.

As we sit here today, this morning, May 17, here are my thoughts in favor and against a RunDisney 2022 Marathon Weekend happening:

PRO:
-Other huge, big races (NYC, Chicago, Boston) will be in person later this year and early next. So the feasibility is there.
-Little to no state/county/local hurdles into making this happen, and Reedy Creek jurisdiction makes getting permits and street closures that much easier over those larger cities mentioned earlier
-Tidal shift over the last few weeks to do away with masks, distancing, etc
-Very active RD social media presence
-They’ve put on numerous races on WDW property each year and across the globe, of varying distances and times/dates, so there are existing plans and institutional muscle memory to draw upon if they have a compressed time period to plan and implement
-Chapek’s statements that they’re going to be ramping up capacity immediately, and that 80% of their workforce has returned. Bodes well for where things are now, let alone where they could be come January.
-They’ve been hosting the cheer competitions at the WWOS over the last month, so there is some vitality and life in that sector of operations

CONS:
-These take a lot of logistics to work through. While they have brought back a lot of workers, there are many who have not come back. Labor shortage may be an issue and consideration, especially if they need more people to logistically pull this off than in years’ past
-Internal transportation at the parks is a mess and they have had to outsource a bunch of it to third parties from what I can tell. That may be a huge cost to the parks to get people to/from that early in the morning.
-Still radio silence. It’s almost June and no word one way or another
-No idea how RD is viewed within current and evolving corporate structure. It may be profitable, but is it profitable enough? They did away with DL APs - a huge monthly/annual revenue stream - because they weren’t as desirable as one or two times a year visitors.
-Do they want to bring on tens of thousands of additional visitors? Do they have the capacity?

As it stands now, I’m mildly optimistic this could happen. Now I need to 1) decide whether I’m doing the half or full, and 2) convince my wife to sign off on me doing this.

As we sit here today, this morning, May 17, here are my thoughts in favor and against a RunDisney 2022 Marathon Weekend happening:

PRO:
-Other huge, big races (NYC, Chicago, Boston) will be in person later this year and early next. So the feasibility is there.
-Little to no state/county/local hurdles into making this happen, and Reedy Creek jurisdiction makes getting permits and street closures that much easier over those larger cities mentioned earlier
-Tidal shift over the last few weeks to do away with masks, distancing, etc
-Very active RD social media presence
-They’ve put on numerous races on WDW property each year and across the globe, of varying distances and times/dates, so there are existing plans and institutional muscle memory to draw upon if they have a compressed time period to plan and implement
-Chapek’s statements that they’re going to be ramping up capacity immediately, and that 80% of their workforce has returned. Bodes well for where things are now, let alone where they could be come January.
-They’ve been hosting the cheer competitions at the WWOS over the last month, so there is some vitality and life in that sector of operations

CONS:
-These take a lot of logistics to work through. While they have brought back a lot of workers, there are many who have not come back. Labor shortage may be an issue and consideration, especially if they need more people to logistically pull this off than in years’ past
-Internal transportation at the parks is a mess and they have had to outsource a bunch of it to third parties from what I can tell. That may be a huge cost to the parks to get people to/from that early in the morning.
-Still radio silence. It’s almost June and no word one way or another
-No idea how RD is viewed within current and evolving corporate structure. It may be profitable, but is it profitable enough? They did away with DL APs - a huge monthly/annual revenue stream - because they weren’t as desirable as one or two times a year visitors.
-Do they want to bring on tens of thousands of additional visitors? Do they have the capacity?

As it stands now, I’m mildly optimistic this could happen. Now I need to 1) decide whether I’m doing the half or full, and 2) convince my wife to sign off on me doing this.

Agree and I'll add one more to the CON list.

- Rundisney has to coordinate with a lot of other different departments in Disney and with all the work going on to bringing the parks back to normal do they have the bandwith to add working with rundisney to that? Transportation is one of those but many other departments are involved as well.

The other comment on the profitability side of things is to look at MDE going away. Now I think the factors affecting MDE are different then rundisney but maybe not. What percentage of rundisney people are staying on property and going to parks vs people staying off property and just coming over to the race. Too many in the latter category and it is not as useful to them anymore.

There is also the international element as well and we don't know when it will become easier to make the trip to orlando from another country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter