GA Proof of Auto Ins for Vehicle Reg

LongLiveRafiki

DIS Veteran
We recently moved to GA and we are having a big issue trying to get our vehicles registered here as our proof of insurance is not showing up in the online GEICS database. We spent all day Friday at the County Tag Office talking back and forth between the employees there and on the phone with our insurance company (USAA). USAA submitted our insurance info to the database a couple weeks ago, as well as proceeded to re-send it 3 separate times on Friday, but it still isn't showing up in the database. USAA says they don't know what else to do, since it's showing having been sent 4 times now. The Tag Office says they can't accept any other proof of insurance except through the database as they can't update it manually. We can't get our vehicles registered until we can somehow figure out how to get the database to show our proof of insurance and no one seems to know what the issue is. I've personally gone on to the Dept of Revenue website to input the VINs to check the database for our insurance and it's not showing up for me either, but I also believe that USAA is sending it correctly. A supervisor from USAA went over every aspect of the submission with me trying to find an error, confirming all info, etc, and can't figure it out. I don't know what else to do and the Tag Office doesn't seem to have any idea either.

Anyone here who lives/lived in GA and is familiar with the GEICS database or have any advice?

You've probably done this, but have you checked the car for the actual VIN number and compared it to what the insurance company is inputting/that is on your insurance papers? I'm wondering if you/USAA are looking at the paperwork when you try to input the VIN's - if the insurance company had a typo way back when, and you only see the paperwork with the typo/maybe 1 digit off, then it is wrong and won't show up.

Also, I found this:
Insurers
An insurer must register with this Department once for every NAIC number before using GEICS insurance database.

Did they "register with this Department"? Not really sure what that means. This is crazy; there should be someone higher up who can help you!

Did you buy your insurance from a broker or online? If you used a broker you can speak with them and they should be able to get a copy or even upload the info to the state's system within a few hours. Otherwise I would check to see if the payment cleared yet and pass that info on to to the insurance company with a demand that they immediately upload your info to the GE's DMV system. Get names and go kick some butt!

Sorry you're in bureaucratic Hades:(.

I'd maybe call around to different offices too. That's crazy; GA has a pretty big military population with I'm sure the vast majority using USAA... this cannot be this complicated; someone at the DMV must just be missing something (or at the very least an experienced worker may recognize the issue and can hopefully tell you what's wrong). I'm so sorry; I know this must be very aggravating and time consuming. Stuff like this should not be this hard; you're just trying to do the right thing argh.

You've probably done this, but have you checked the car for the actual VIN number and compared it to what the insurance company is inputting/that is on your insurance papers? I'm wondering if you/USAA are looking at the paperwork when you try to input the VIN's - if the insurance company had a typo way back when, and you only see the paperwork with the typo/maybe 1 digit off, then it is wrong and won't show up.

Also, I found this:
Insurers
An insurer must register with this Department once for every NAIC number before using GEICS insurance database.

Did they "register with this Department"? Not really sure what that means. This is crazy; there should be someone higher up who can help you!

The supervisor I spoke with at USAA had me verify the VINs directly off of the vehicles and they had at least 4 different people check the info they submitted to the database so I don't think that can be the issue.

I'm pretty sure USAA is registered with the Dept given that they knew exactly how to submit the info. The supervisor said he had personally submitted info for other members into the database loads of times and never had an issue.

Did you buy your insurance from a broker or online? If you used a broker you can speak with them and they should be able to get a copy or even upload the info to the state's system within a few hours. Otherwise I would check to see if the payment cleared yet and pass that info on to to the insurance company with a demand that they immediately upload your info to the GE's DMV system. Get names and go kick some butt!

Sorry you're in bureaucratic Hades:(.

My insurance is through my military-affiliated credit union. I've had insurance with them for years and they take the payments directly out of our bank account with them, so it's definitely not a payment issue. When we moved, we simply updated our address, which triggered them submitting the insurance electronically into the database the first time. I can see my proof of insurance on my bank account and can print all the info, but GA only accepts proof through their online database. It's been submitted 4 times but still isn't showing in the database.

I'd maybe call around to different offices too. That's crazy; GA has a pretty big military population with I'm sure the vast majority using USAA... this cannot be this complicated; someone at the DMV must just be missing something. I'm so sorry; I know this must be very aggravating and time consuming. Stuff like this should not be this hard; you're just trying to do the right thing argh.

I just don't know who else to contact. I've tried searching online and the only "help" related answers I've found all say to have the Insurance Co submit the info into the database, which they've done. Neither USAA nor the Tag Office seem to know what to do; the Tag Office just says it hasn't been submitted and USAA says they've done it 4 times.

We moved to Georgia 3 years ago
Had zero issues when we got our plates

All was taken care of first visit

In the first few days here, we had changed Allstate agents to a local office and did car registration that afternoon

Hope you get your issue resolved soon !

Sounds like Georgia needs to upgrade their system to allow proof of insurance to be manually entered because the current system clearly isn't working.

I had an issue with one of my cars, DMV said they had not received proof of insurance. My auto insurance company e-mailed me a copy of the confirmation from DMV saying they had received it. I just mailed in the paper proof of insurance card that my insurance company automatically sends every policy period, and DMV manually entered it.,

Sounds like Georgia needs to upgrade their system to allow proof of insurance to be manually entered because the current system clearly isn't working.

Its not the system. It use to be allowed. Its a security measure. Its blocked by policy not by outdated system. I had Geico fax the GA DMV my policy a few years back. But it's just not allowed any longer.

Its not the system. It use to be allowed. Its a security measure. Its blocked by policy not by outdated system. I had Geico fax the GA DMV my policy a few years back. But it's just not allowed any longer.
Well, clearly something needs to change if it is causing these problems.

The state just replaced the system for registering cars over the Memorial day weekend.

Someone at USAA will have a login to:
https://mvd.dor.ga.gov/geics/login.asp
They should be able to verify that your vehicle(s) appear in the database.

USAA told me that they could not personally check the database (no idea why), but gave me a similar website: dor.georgia.gov/insurance
which allows me to type in the VIN and county and it says there's no insurance info on either of our vehicles. USAA is adamant though that they've submitted it.

I see this on the website though:
Screenshot_20190728-161234.png

Does this mean that my info has to be submitted both through the GEICS as well as the GRATIS in order for it to show up? Is it possible that it's in the GEICS but not in GRATIS since I'm a new resident to GA?

USAA told me that they could not personally check the database (no idea why), but gave me a similar website: dor.georgia.gov/insurance
which allows me to type in the VIN and county and it says there's no insurance info on either of our vehicles. USAA is adamant though that they've submitted it.

I see this on the website though:
View attachment 420922

Does this mean that my info has to be submitted both through the GEICS as well as the GRATIS in order for it to show up? Is it possible that it's in the GEICS but not in GRATIS since I'm a new resident to GA?
That sounds possible but......

If you buy new in Georgia you get a tag before the title is fully issued. I just bought a car and was able to get the tag before the title was issued but there is already a place holder for having the title issued.

If I vist:
https://eservices.drives.ga.gov/_/
specifically the title status at:
https://eservices.drives.ga.gov/_/#1
For my VIN number it says the title is still being reviewed.

What does it say for your car(s) VIN number?

That sounds possible but......

If you buy new in Georgia you get a tag before the title is fully issued. I just bought a car and was able to get the tag before the title was issued but there is already a place holder for having the title issued.

If I vist:
https://eservices.drives.ga.gov/_/
specifically the title status at:
https://eservices.drives.ga.gov/_/#1
For my VIN number it says the title is still being reviewed.

What does it say for your car(s) VIN number?

For both vehicles, it says: "Unable to verify the status of title. Please ensure that the information provided is correct."

I'm not sure if the application was even submitted in the system for new titles. We did bring the out-of-state titles and they looked over them and everything, but when we got to them trying to look up the insurance, everything ground to a halt and they couldn't process anything further. I'm assuming since we didn't pay for anything that day (never asked to) that nothing was fully submitted.

I think you are giving USAA a pass. The assumption should be that they did something wrong until they can prove otherwise to the state that regulates them and allows them to operate.

Have you filed a complaint against the insurance company with the state's insurance commissioner?
https://www.oci.ga.gov/consumerservice/complaintprocess.aspx
I bet that'll prompt USAA to come up with something else that they can do. It might even get them to contact the state directly to address whatever is wrong.

I think you are giving USAA a pass. The assumption should be that they did something wrong until they can prove otherwise to the state that regulates them and allows them to operate.

Have you filed a complaint against the insurance company with the state's insurance commissioner?
https://www.oci.ga.gov/consumerservice/complaintprocess.aspx
I bet that'll prompt USAA to come up with something else that they can do. It might even get them to contact the state directly to address whatever is wrong.

I haven't filed a complaint yet as I don't want to jump the gun if they aren't at fault. I'm going to go back to the Tag Office in 2 hrs when they open and see again if we can determine what the issue is. I originally was blaming USAA but after my last call with them on Friday (2 hours), speaking to the supervisor, and them personally trying to call the Tag Office on my behalf (who refused to help), I'm just not so sure.

If I can verify with the County that everything is done that needs to be done on their end, then I'll see if I can get the two sides talking to figure out a solution.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and advice and will update when I get some answers.

For both vehicles, it says: "Unable to verify the status of title. Please ensure that the information provided is correct."

I'm not sure if the application was even submitted in the system for new titles. We did bring the out-of-state titles and they looked over them and everything, but when we got to them trying to look up the insurance, everything ground to a halt and they couldn't process anything further. I'm assuming since we didn't pay for anything that day (never asked to) that nothing was fully submitted.

Moved to GA 5 years ago and have registered/insured probably 10-15 cars, haven't had any issues. This situation seems strange to me. Have you had emissions inspection done (not sure if you live in a county requiring it)? Just checking, as that will be a roadblock if not. If USAA has done their due diligence in making sure they sent the info over repeatedly, I think I'd ask the manager at the tag office to go through every step on their side. I have a feeling it's a really simple step that someone is simply missing or overlooking...the tag system in GA is fairly easy.

I haven't filed a complaint yet as I don't want to jump the gun if they aren't at fault.
Your choice, of course, but I'd consider them at fault, already, for not taking the lead in getting the situation resolved.

I'm going to go back to the Tag Office in 2 hrs when they open and see again if we can determine what the issue is. I originally was blaming USAA but after my last call with them on Friday (2 hours), speaking to the supervisor, and them personally trying to call the Tag Office on my behalf (who refused to help), I'm just not so sure.
They should be speaking to the office that they interact with (through which they submit their records), not the office that you interact with.

Your choice, of course, but I'd consider them at fault, already, for not taking the lead in getting the situation resolved.

They should be speaking to the office that they interact with (through which they submit their records), not the office that you interact with.

That's not how it works. Each county has its own tag office, so USAA would be dealing with the same office OP interacts with.

I would contact the state of Georgia insurance commissioner. I had to deal with USAA for an insurance claim, and after weeks of trying to talk with them and nothing ever getting done, that is what I did - at the insistence of my State Farm rep.

Magically, after the insurance commissioner’s office got involved, USAA became much more agreeable and easy to work with. It is worth a try. Hope you get it worked out - it sounds very frustrating for you!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter