GAC and Wheelchair

Cathy Crow

Earning My Ears
What is a GAC? Do I have to do something special to get it? Will be pushing my Mom around in a wheelchair at the parks. By the way, should I rent through the concierge at the hotel or should I book a wheelchair myself?
Thanks so much

Welcome to disABILITIES. :wave:
A GAC is a Guest Assistance Card. It is meant to let CMs know what assistance is necessary for someone with invisible needs. If your mom's needs are met by having the wheelchair in line with her and being able to use the wheelchair accesssible entrance, then she doesn't need a GAC. The CMs can see she needs those things just with her having the wheelchair.
If she does need a GAC, take her to Guest Services in any of the parks and explain to them what her needs are.

For renting a wheelchair, the concierge may be able to get one to led to you from the resort. The plus to that is that it is free. The minus is that people have reported that sometimes the resort wheelchairs are not in the best condition or what was available (like extra wide) did not meet their needs (like maybe they needed a narrow one). When there were problems, people reported it took anywhere from minutes to days to get a differnt wheelchair (although, I would expect concierge to be on the "fast" side of fixing things).
If you go to the disABILITIES FAQs need the top of this board, you will find a lot of info about wheelchairs and the different places to rent them from.
You might also want to consider renting an ecv (electric scooter) for her. It would give her more independence and you would not have to push her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter