GAC Changes???

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've always had numerous CMs ask who <name on GAC> is when we show it at attractions though it definitely wasn't anywhere near every time. I'm glad to hear that more are asking. It always surprised me that we weren't asked more often as it makes a lot of sense. Of course DD14 is very verbal and social and really enjoys talking with the CMs. If she's in a mode where she's not responsive to CMs then that's a major red flag that she's heading for a meltdown and we get out of the parks really quickly so she can decompress back at our resort.

We haven't really seen changes in GACs. What I've observed is that the CMs at Guest Relations are really stressing more that the GAC will not shorten wait times. It's always been this way but I'm noticing that CMs are really stressing this while they didn't used to point it out. It does also seem like we're encountering more grumpy CMs when using our GAC which is strange to me. We don't use it as often as we used to and we didn't use to encounter CMs who seem put out by us using it while now we do. They haven't actually changed how the GAC is handled but I'm encountering more eye rolls and sighs and specifically at Monster's Inc Laugh Floor, more arguements. We didn't use to encounter this kind of stuff. It doesn't happen often at all, but since it didn't use to happen at all, encountering it at all is an increase, especially since as I said we use the GAC less than we use to.

I could imagine being a CM and being fed up with the whole thing really. When people have an issue with a system they usually attack the lowest rung of the ladder first. A park level guest relations or ride operations CM has no control over how the GAC program works but they're the ones that have to hear day in and day out how they're handling it wrong, or "this doesn't work for me so you have to fix it now and do it on bent knee" or what issue happens to crop up whether it actually is an issue or not.

Just another voice to say that things havent changed. We were there, Sept, Oct, and Dec, and had no differences at all. I did notice that this year the CM's seem to really be looking at the GAC and checking the dates and names. And like you have all said, I absolutely dont mind. DS pipes up and says "I am Steven and I have Aspergers" the CM's alway smile and it makes him feel so good. It is amazing how much that one little piece of paper makes him feel so empowered ::yes::

babyberger, are you Loretta?!

well i did notice one change, normally i have to go back every 2 or 3 months to get one with my annual pass but this last time they extended it out 12 months.

My dd28 and her friend who is 25 went to Disney for 3 days the week after Thanksgiving. My dd uses a GAC and the friend rented an ECV. Both girls have heart conditions and they knew that neither could walk all day. The friend has been on medical leave from work for over a year. My dd will be having a cardiac ablation and ICD on January 10 - hopefully this helps 1 of the 3 conditions she has. So they shared the ECV with whoever needing it the most riding - they honestly both needed one all the time and my dd said that she knows that she will have to have one from now on when she goes to WDW.

Anyway the day they arrived they went to Epcot. The very first attraction they went to was SE - the cast member told the friend to stop being lazy and walk like everyone else (this was reported to guest services). The friend started crying. Nice way to start her very first vacation ever - not just Disney but anywhere. Yes she's 25 years old and she physically looks healthy. It's bad enough that other guests make rude comments but CM's.

My dd commented that the procedure for a couple of rides differed using the GAC (same stamp) since we went October 2011 but that could be because of the ECV and not specifically the GAC.

My dd28 and her friend who is 25 went to Disney for 3 days the week after Thanksgiving. My dd uses a GAC and the friend rented an ECV. Both girls have heart conditions and they knew that neither could walk all day. The friend has been on medical leave from work for over a year. My dd will be having a cardiac ablation and ICD on January 10 - hopefully this helps 1 of the 3 conditions she has. So they shared the ECV with whoever needing it the most riding - they honestly both needed one all the time and my dd said that she knows that she will have to have one from now on when she goes to WDW.

Anyway the day they arrived they went to Epcot. The very first attraction they went to was SE - the cast member told the friend to stop being lazy and walk like everyone else (this was reported to guest services). The friend started crying. Nice way to start her very first vacation ever - not just Disney but anywhere. Yes she's 25 years old and she physically looks healthy. It's bad enough that other guests make rude comments but CM's.

My dd commented that the procedure for a couple of rides differed using the GAC (same stamp) since we went October 2011 but that could be because of the ECV and not specifically the GAC.

Sorry they were treated like that. There should been no questions about need once the GAC has been issued.

Your last comment brings up one of the other things that make people think GACs have changed -not all attractions have the same accommodations.
So, someone with the same GAC might get treated differently at different attractions.

Also, even the same person using the same GAC at the same attraction on the same day may be handled differently at a different time because conditions are different (staffing, number of people waiting).

When these things happen, people often think there are changes to the GAC when it's really just changing conditions (there are no guarantees that the GAC will be always handled the same).

The very first attraction they went to was SE - the cast member told the friend to stop being lazy and walk like everyone else (this was reported to guest services).

Wow. That person is NOT Disney material.

(Which probably means he or she will be transferred to the Haunted Mansion immediately...)

My son has selective mutism and there was only one time that the CM tried to confirm with him directly. My son doesn't like attention from strangers so if we go back and need a GAC, I thought that we could ask them to write "doesn't speak" or something on the card. That one time didn't seem to bother him, but it would raise his anxiety if he had strangers trying to talk to him all day long.

Also, we got in line for the characters in the new circus tent thing. My son lasted not 3 minutes before he was wailing. I left and asked the CM at the door if we could wait outside until my husband and daughter made it to the front of the line. He asked if we had GAC, then took us around back and we got to meet all four right away. Of course, not sure if that was just the CM but it seemed to be nothing out of the ordinary for all the CM working at the tent.

Also, we got in line for the characters in the new circus tent thing. My son lasted not 3 minutes before he was wailing. I left and asked the CM at the door if we could wait outside until my husband and daughter made it to the front of the line. He asked if we had GAC, then took us around back and we got to meet all four right away. Of course, not sure if that was just the CM but it seemed to be nothing out of the ordinary for all the CM working at the tent.

Unless they changed it, it was probably the CM. My son didn't care for the tent either. There is so much stimulation in there. I hadn't shown the GAC when we went in there, but I did ask after the fact and was told there wasn't an alternate entrance.

It was likely just the CM sprinkling pixie-dust for you! Unless they have changed the GAC very recently, the GAC specifically states that it is not for use at character greetings. Now, that said, some people have posted they were able to use a GAC at a greeting, but it shouldn't be expected.

:confused3 I don't get why people always feel the need to come and contradict things like this. I'm not trying to single anyone out but please!! the GAC is NOT intended for character meets!!! Just because you've seen it happen doesn't mean it was supposed to or will always happen!! It's not fair for those people who come to these boards with questions to lead them on saying "we've see it!"

:confused3 I don't get why people always feel the need to come and contradict things like this. I'm not trying to single anyone out but please!! the GAC is NOT intended for character meets!!! Just because you've seen it happen doesn't mean it was supposed to or will always happen!! It's not fair for those people who come to these boards with questions to lead them on saying "we've see it!"

especially if little kids expectations are involved.

we got a GAC for the 1st time, towards the end or our trip, and used it once. (for visual disabilites) when we get one next trip, I will report on our experiences, but if we get "pixie dusted" I will report it as such. I don't want anyone to think they will necessarily get the same benefits. (esp. since the "benefits" or I should say" accomodations" vary SO much with the visual disabilites, and the CM.

I'll tell a little "anecdote" here.

at epcot, the CM allowed us to use the GAC to enter the handicapped viewing area for the Illuninations. he did ask that we not STAND in front of wheelchairs, ecvs.etc.

understandable. there was a LOT of empty space towards the end of the handicapped spot,(at the WSplaza) closest to the shop, closest to the Candlelight Processional viewing area.

there were about 3 rows of wheelchairs, ECVs, along the rail. we stood behind them.

but there was one row of people leaning against the back railing. with 2 ecvs with them. and a huge space (enough to fit about 6 rows of wheelchairs, ecvs) between the last row we were standing behind, and the group who chose to be in the back.

now as we were waiting, I watched. there were kids going back and forth with the dad unhooking the chain, between the CP viewing area and the handicapped area. and the dad was talking to the 2 in the ecvs. (hubby is always amazed at how quickly I can figure out the family dynamics)

anyway, once the show started, one of the guys came up and told us we should sit down. his mom and dad are in wheel chairs. (ok, they were actually in ecvs, but that is what he said. no matter, same thing to me)

now, we could NOT sit down, because there were 3 rows of wheel chairs in FRONT of us. we stood BEHIND them.

I told the guy, "my husband has macular degeneration, and would like to see the show as long as he still can., which is why we are in the handicapped area. we will be happy to stand BEHIND your mom and dad. move them up, and we will stand BEHIND them.

no the able bodied in their group (some of which were going back and forth to the CP spot) wanted to be able to lean on(sit on) the back railing and they wanted to be NEXT to the mom and dad.

so, rather than the whole group move up when the show started, (so those who are visually handicapped could stand behind them), they sat themselves as far back as they could, and demanded that no one stand in front of them. (there was a HUGE gap between them and the rest of the people lined up behind the lagoon rail).

I sat, hubby tried as he could to kinda squat through half of it, and finally I told him to stand and enjoy the show. they were welcome to move up in front of us if they wanted to.

um, sorry, went off on a tangent.. guess my point was, I hate to tel someone else "you are visually impaired? no problem! they will issue you a GAC, and there are handicapped areas roped off to make it easy for you to view Illuminations."

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up.

but then again, maybe it was just this particular group that night. you would think, in a handicapped area, it isn't "fight tooth and nail" attitudes. you would expect more of an attitude of :

" gee, our group had THIS impairment, your group has THAT impariment. let's see how we can all work together so everyone can enjoy the show." silly me.

Just to clarify things, post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread is all about GUest Assistance Cards (GACs). You can find that thread near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature.
Disney does not publish anything official about GACs, so you will not find any official notice of how GACs work; what is on that post is as accurate as possible.

Sometimes CMs are able to make exceptions, so people will sometimes see or post they have done things that GACs are not usually used for. That's a pixie dust exception though, and not to be expected, as was already mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter