GAC Equivalent at Universal Studios?

madonna31

<font color=9999FF>WDWWDS Entertainment VP<br><fon
Hello everyone!

I am heading down to WDW in just a couple of weeks and unfortunately I will be needing a GAC.

I'm curious if Universal Studios has an equivalent type of service, as we are wanting to visit during our trip. If not, then chances are we won't be going to US as I am not able to stand for long periods of time.

Thanks in advance.

Haven't been to US in awhile, so not sure whether they have an actual card by now...but US is just as accomodating as WDW of guests with mobility impairments. If no GAC exists, simply approach the greeter employee at each attraction and let him/her know your situation. You'll have no problem.

we just went

at u/s we got 10 passes that let us use the fast pass when ever we wanted
about 4 or so cm took the pass other just said go in

they said if we needed more come back

us ioa they gave us a paper pass just like a gac and it got us in fast pass
and character meetings with no lines

have fun
scott

I'm not sure what your situation is, but when you mentioned not being able to stand for long periods, is there a reason you wouldn't choose to use a wheelchair or ecv? At WDW if there are "endurance" concerns, you would be directed to rent a w/c vs. being given a GAC as there is more walking and standing inbetween attractions than the lines themselves. I'd be afraid that even with a GAC you'd have a tough time if there are endurance issues. Kathy

dclfun said:
I'm not sure what your situation is, but when you mentioned not being able to stand for long periods, is there a reason you wouldn't choose to use a wheelchair or ecv? At WDW if there are "endurance" concerns, you would be directed to rent a w/c vs. being given a GAC as there is more walking and standing inbetween attractions than the lines themselves. I'd be afraid that even with a GAC you'd have a tough time if there are endurance issues. Kathy
::yes::
I agree. It's a very large park. In fact, even getting from the parking lot to the park entrance is quite a ways. They have some moving walkways to avoid walking, but it's still quite a ways.

Thank you all for your quick responses. :)

I appreciate the concern of renting a wheelchair instead of an EVC - but I have been to WDW many, many times to know that there is more walking between attractions, then the lines themselves. However, my reasoning for not being able to stand for long periods of time has nothing to do with endurance. I have had 3 tumor removal surgeries on my left dominant arm and among other problems, I am left with peripheral neuropathy. The pain in my arm is most severe when standing.

In addition, I have to keep my arm elbow padded and having it resting on the arm of a wheelchair while going over 'bumps' on the pavement would be extremelly painful as the ligaments and muscles have not healed properly. Therefore, believe it or not, walking is easier on my arm then sitting.

Ok that's was the Cliff notes version of my situation. :teeth:

Thanks again for the quick responses and help!!

just got back from universal - we went to guest services inside univ. studios and explained that we had a GAC at WDW for our autistic son..did they have something equivalent? They wanted to look at our son and after a quick look at him they issued us an express pass for our whole party that would enable to go into the shorter lines. Guest services, by the way, said that Disney will issue GAC to just about anyone. Kind of like we had to prove ourselves more with Universal. In the end, I should mention...that we went ahead and purchased two express passes ($21 a piece) because my son only goes on a few rides and we felt guilty going onto rides in the express lines without him and using his pass!

Me and my mom went to Guest Services to get a GAC equivalent, cause she's disabled due to extreme back problems. At WDW, we got a GAC without any problems... The guest services people just said to use normal waiting line or express. Well, let's just say the lines are not accessible. You know, the non ADA ramp at TTC monorail? The line for Popeye and Hulk are like that! Good luck trying to navigate the park with that. So, we ended the day by going and complaining about the accessibilty factor. They answered that nothing at Disney is accessible and we're just so better! We just left, vowing to never come back (even if I had an annual pass, I only went back with friends and that's it. Not a penny spent there, nothing.)

Absimilliard said:
Me and my mom went to Guest Services to get a GAC equivalent, cause she's disabled due to extreme back problems. At WDW, we got a GAC without any problems... The guest services people just said to use normal waiting line or express. Well, let's just say the lines are not accessible. You know, the non ADA ramp at TTC monorail? The line for Popeye and Hulk are like that! Good luck trying to navigate the park with that. So, we ended the day by going and complaining about the accessibilty factor. They answered that nothing at Disney is accessible and we're just so better! We just left, vowing to never come back (even if I had an annual pass, I only went back with friends and that's it. Not a penny spent there, nothing.)
The last time we were to Universal was many years ago, so I don't know how things are now, but it sounds like they have not changed. They said the same things to us - our park is totally wheelchair accessible, we are not required to provide any more than that. We asked at Guest Services and also at each ride if there was a place we could wait out of the sun/away from crowds because DD has other needs besides a need for a wheelchair accessible line. Each time we got the same "script" as at Guest Services.

From what I have read/experienced, Universal has a lot different experience for people with situations like autism than for people with mobility needs. Most of the things I have read from people with family members with autism have been positive experiences. Most of the things I have read from people with mobility needs have been similar to our family's experiences.

Now I am becoming concerned because we plan to do 2 days at Universal/IOA. I was hoping to do it all in 1 or 1 1/2 because there isnt that much to do if you dont like the rollercoasters and cant go into the playgrounds. I dont want to go there disappointed and angry that we cant ride anything.

Are the lines really wheelchair accessible? Are they scooter accessible or do we need to bring the stroller that day?

GAC wise, I wonder how Universal would deal with a child with non-visible issues? At times it is obvious DD8 is a special needs kid (ADHD, SID and ASD tendencies), but other times it is not as obvious. Even by showing them a previous WDW GAC I wonder if they would still issue us one.
I guess this might be a case that bringing medical documentation might help.

Suzy V.

Forevryoung said:
Now I am becoming concerned because we plan to do 2 days at Universal/IOA. I was hoping to do it all in 1 or 1 1/2 because there isnt that much to do if you dont like the rollercoasters and cant go into the playgrounds. I dont want to go there disappointed and angry that we cant ride anything.

Are the lines really wheelchair accessible? Are they scooter accessible or do we need to bring the stroller that day?
There lines are pretty much wheelchair accessible. Some people have found some to be a bit steep, but they were built within what the law says is accecptable.
The problem we had is that our DD has needs besides just needing an accessible line. They just didn't seem to understand that someone can use a wheelchair and have other, invisible needs. It's like you are only allowed to have one or the other. I have heard/seen posts from people with autism and other similar situations who did NOT also have wheelchairs and they pretty much all reported good experiences.
Here's a
link to the Universal Rider's Guide that details what is accessible and how.

Funny, I was reading a thread here on the DIS on the Universal Parks board that claimed Universal treats those with disabilities BETTER then WDW does.

Somehow, based on my experience with Universal's *regular* customer service - I find that very, very hard to believe.

madonna31 said:
Funny, I was reading a thread here on the DIS on the Universal Parks board that claimed Universal treats those with disabilities BETTER then WDW does.

Somehow, based on my experience with Universal's *regular* customer service - I find that very, very hard to believe.
Well, because of when the park was built, most of the lines are accessible to wheelchairs and ecvs. But, many of the rides still require a transfer out of a wheelchair. So, someone who can transfer out easily may say it is a wonderfully accessible park. Someone who can't transfer may have other things to say.
As I mentioned, I think they probably do a good job with conditions like autism, but not so good if someone has more than one condition (especially if they have a wheelchair plus other needs).

hi

i posted before but i will post again incase someone missed it

our experiance with universal and ioa was as good as disney

the guest services at universal asked to see our 6 yo son in a wheelchair we said he had adhd cp and cant stand sun the nice lady
gave us a 10 express pass vouchers for 3 people each voucher
and said if we need more come back
we used them and only 3 or 4 cm actually took one the rest just waved us by

at ioa we were givin a pass card that let us do the same as universal with out handing anything in

we didnt have a gac type card to show a cm when meeting a character but they waved us over and let us "skip" the line to visit a charater
and when asked they grouped 5 characters togeather for a photo only for us
disney didnt do that
they let my son ride a kids roller coaster by the exit ramp and let us re ride 3 times

we had a blast (still like disney better) but it was verry acomodating and
we passed the magic on by giving the card and unused passes to other familys with disabled kids that didnt know the deal
this was 4 weeks ago

btw dont you find now that you have all this info from dis on how to make theme parks fun for our kids you just want to tell strangers in the parks that dont know so there kids have more fun??

thanks
scott

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter