GAC for those on a WISH trip

joanchris

DIS Veteran
Hi, We're going to WDW in October for my daughter's wish, though we're not staying at GKTW. It is my understanding that those there get a special Wish GAC.....above the usual she'd have just for being in her w/c, needing to be out of the sun etc. Can anyone tell me what exactly it enabled them to do? Is it truly "front of the line"? I'm trying to plan dining reservations etc and knowing ahead of time what it will enable her to do will be helpful (like extra rest time at the hotel if we're not rushing back to do all the things we want to do!)
Thanks for any insight you can give us!

Joan- I also have one of those GAC's due to being on life support equipment- you still have to wait behind everyone else using a w/c or in the alternate entrances that are already in line. There are a very few attractions though where you can be let in a back way and are thus let in the exit vs the alternate entrance or going through the entire queue. The GAC can also be used for character meet/greets though and you will be taken to the front of the line for that. Kathy

The unlimited fastpass or FOTL privilege on the GAC is quite standard for participants in officially sanctioned wish trips such as Make A Wish and very rare for anyone else. I suppose that it is possible to become officially sanctioned even if MAW or GKTW is not paying the whole way.

If you foresee multiple Disney trips for your daughter in upcoming years, then you morally do not qualify for unlimited fastpass or FOTL character meeting and greeting.

Unlimited fastpass is not given to families to solve the problem of a child who has lots of meltdowns.

When trying to figure out which of the many possible features available for GAC you need, try this: Ask yourself what you and your daughter could do on vacation were it not for the handicap, and what could Disney do to help you come close.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Hi Joan, we went on my dd's MAW trip as well, did not stay at GKTW, either.
My dd's MAW/WDW trip was about 14 months ago. I still have our GAC card from that trip( tho my dh thinks I am nuts for keeping the GAC card, since we don't know when we will be able to go back to WDW again).
Anyways,I have the red and white GAC card with the green stamp on it that says," Guests should be provided any assistance necessary to expedite their visit at the attractions". Also on the GAC, it says" It is not intended to provide immediate access".
For us, at the attractions, either we were able to go to the exit que to board the ride, attraction, or just move up in line a little bit. Each Disney park has their own policy of how they want to use the GAC. My dd is not wheelchair bound at all, so we mostly moved up in line or was asked to go to the exit to board a ride.

I think WDW gives the same GAC to all the MAW families, whether the wish child is w/c bound or not. If you have any questions about the certain GAC, I would suggest you should talk to Guest Services at hte park you pick up the GAC from.
Also, make sure you wear your MAW buttons at all or most times at hte Disney parks. Your child's wish granter/coordinator should be giving the buttons to you and your family close to the time you leave for the trip.
If you wear your MAW buttons, the CMs should notice and will be able to help your dd out more ie. move her up in line more, etc.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip!

Rosemarie :flower:

roseprincess said:
I think WDW gives the same GAC to all the MAW families, whether the wish child is w/c bound or not. If you have any questions about the certain GAC, I would suggest you should talk to Guest Services at hte park you pick up the GAC from.
Also, make sure you wear your MAW buttons at all or most times at hte Disney parks. Your child's wish granter/coordinator should be giving the buttons to you and your family close to the time you leave for the trip.
If you wear your MAW buttons, the CMs should notice and will be able to help your dd out more ie. move her up in line more, etc.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip!

From what I know, it is a specific type of GAC that they use for the officially sanctioned WISH granting organizations.
Also, from what I know, the wish granting organization will take care of getting you the button, GAC and the paperwork that go along with them.
maybe a year ago, I had read something disturbing on a CM only board. There were actually reports of people selling counterfiet MAW buttons. So, ask your WISH coordinator what you need to carry with you to verify that you are indeed a family on a WISH trip and don't be surprized if occasionally a CM asks to see it and doesn't just go with your button.

We just came back from visiting WDW with the Dream Factory. We did not stay at GKTW and Dream Factory does not issue any sort of buttons. I went to the city Hall at Magic Kingdom and explained to them that we were there with DF and that my daughter might have problems waiting in lines due to her heart condition and the heat. They gave me a GAC without any problems. On every ride or show we used it they either sent us through the fast pass or took us through an alternative entrance. We never waited anywhere. It was wonderful.
Karen

Thanks for all the helpful responses. We are going on an officially sanctioned Wish Trip, through a smaller wish granting organization, they only have 2 locations, here in CT and one in Florida. We chose not to stay at GKTW, though that option was offered to us.
We just came back from the Dream annual picnic today at a local Amusement park---5 hrs there and DD was more than done for! I do hope that our one week (certainly the only time we'll get to go in the forseeable future!) will be a better experience than today was! I know Disney tries to be helpful with their GAC program, but do know that it's hard because people will abuse the system. Just trying to figure out what to expect when we get there, without getting either of my DDs to expect too much!

SueM in MN said:
From what I know, it is a specific type of GAC that they use for the officially sanctioned WISH granting organizations.
Also, from what I know, the wish granting organization will take care of getting you the button, GAC and the paperwork that go along with them.
maybe a year ago, I had read something disturbing on a CM only board. There were actually reports of people selling counterfiet MAW buttons. So, ask your WISH coordinator what you need to carry with you to verify that you are indeed a family on a WISH trip and don't be surprized if occasionally a CM asks to see it and doesn't just go with your button.

Because we didn't stay at GKTW for my dd's MAW trip, we had to pick up our hopper passes at whatever Disney park we were going to first, which ended up to be MK for us. Our Wish coordinator from our Chicago office as well as the wish coordinator from the Orlando office made arrangements and printed out our itinerary with confirmation #'s to specifically pick up our hopper passes from any of the Disney parks at Guest Services. I was never told by any of our wish volunteers about the GAC card. But the CM at Guest services automatically gave us one, I'm guessing the specific one for official MAW families. Grant it, I had no idea how to use the GAC card at first b/c I had no experience with it before and like I said, the Wish volunteers at our MAW office had no clue what a GAC card is. :confused3
I guess it depends at each individual MAW or any wish granting orginizational office if they even know about the GAC or not. But yes, bring with you at the parks all your itinerary papers w/the confirmation #'s, etc. I did that. I brought a backpack with me everywhere w/ the MAW papers, as well as water bottles, etc.
As I recall,I don't remember being questioned by any CMs if we were an official wish family or not because we were wearing the MAW buttons. But bring your paperwork with you at all times, just in case.

I'm wondering, is there a different GAC for wish families that stay at GKTW only? Or is it the same GAC for Wish families whether you are staying at GKTW or not?

Thanks for the information.

Guess I guessed wrong.
I was going by some information I got a year ago from a CM and from information people have posted about MAW trips at GKTW. It appears things are handled differently depending on where you stay - probably GKTW sort of has things down to a science.

I would think the GAC you receive is still the same regardless of whether you stay at GKTW or not ( mine has the same stamp on it, for instance). I have only used my card once since I am unable to ride "rides" anyway but since it was issued to me by someone at Guest Relations ( I did not ask for it- they took one look at me and issued this type card) I took it just in case it was ever needed. I was told it was good for fotl for character meet/greets but I don't need that either- you probably will want to see the characters for interactions and photos. I would think if your child is trying to access attractions then CM's should be well aware of the message on the card to "do anything possible to expedite your visit at the attractions" so as to maximize what limited time you can enjoy the parks. Kathy

Just thought of something else....I guess I took offense at the poster who felt as though if you had multiple trips planned in the future you were not "morally entitled to FOTL for character meet greets or unlimited fastpass". Who is to decide what someone else is "morally" entitled to? For those of us with a terminal illness or a child with a life-threatening illness then I feel I/we are entitled to anything possible while trying to enjoy ourselves at the parks to remove the stress of just trying to make it though another day. We aren't hurting anyone else at WDW and would gladly give up our medical conditions to stand in a queue line like everyone else. Even though I cannot actually use the GAC I was given due to my own limitations, I'm glad to have received this card which states that my need is acknowledged. For someone on a wish trip, this is the one trip in which their child should feel like a princess/prince and to have special accomodations whether or not they get the chance to return. Kathy

the following is the info I was going on when I asked the question (from Pixiedustinn*dot*com)....I guess I'm wondering if NOT staying at GKTW is going to limit our ability to access more rides/attractions during the daughters 5-6 hours of "good" time each day. Since it is a smaller wish organization that we're going through I was wondering if it would be recognized as MAW is, but they do have a chapter near Orlando, and I'll talk to our wish coordinators in 2-3 wks when they drop off "everything we'll need" for our trip. thanks again for the help here on these boards, it's great!

GAC FAQ
What does it allow you to do?

The cards all look the same, but each card has different instructions stamped on. We are aware of 5 different messages; there may be more.

* Allows a stroller to be used as a wheelchair in mainstream queues and at alternate entrances. ECVs and wheelchairs can be taken into any building or line without having any pass or card. This allows strollers to use the same alternate entrances.

* Allows a waiting spot shaded from the sun if the line is "in the sun for an excessive amount of time." Fo most of the lines, the largest part of the line inside a building or under a roof or shade. Some of the outdoor lines are even air-conditioned to avoid getting too hot. This is helpful to people who are sun or heat sensitive.

* Allows an alternate entrance waiting area for people who can't wait in line. This one is mostly used for children/adults with conditions like autism, ADD or other health problems that make waiting in line difficult or dangerous for them or the people with them. This would also apply to people who suffer from agoraphobia or severe panic attacks that would make waiting in line in close contact with other people impossible. Also, this is used for people who are immunosuppressed and need to avoid infection.

* Allows ‘front and center’ seating at shows, for people with severe visual impairments

* Kids at WDW thru the Make A Wish or similar organizations. This card allows "front of line" access because these kids are very fragile and have a life threatening condition. These cards are arranged thru WDW and Make a Wish or Give Kids the World as part of their visit.

For the first 3 categories, you will be asked to use FastPass if available and you are told that the card will not allow immediate access to rides/attractions. You will often still need to wait; it just may be in a different place.

dclfun said:
Just thought of something else....I guess I took offense at the poster who felt as though if you had multiple trips planned in the future you were not "morally entitled to FOTL for character meet greets or unlimited fastpass". Who is to decide what someone else is "morally" entitled to? For those of us with a terminal illness or a child with a life-threatening illness then I feel I/we are entitled to anything possible while trying to enjoy ourselves at the parks to remove the stress of just trying to make it though another day. We aren't hurting anyone else at WDW and would gladly give up our medical conditions to stand in a queue line like everyone else. Even though I cannot actually use the GAC I was given due to my own limitations, I'm glad to have received this card which states that my need is acknowledged. For someone on a wish trip, this is the one trip in which their child should feel like a princess/prince and to have special accomodations whether or not they get the chance to return. Kathy

I took offense to this also - you're not alone. It was our daughter's wish to go back to WDW. She LOVES it there! This is her chance to really be treated like a princess. So what if we have been there several times already and we have multiple trips planned in the future. We are trying to go to WDW as much as possible while she is still with us. I would give anything for her to be "normal." But God had another plan for her. So if anyone is offended that a Wish trip has been granted for her, tough. This is her chance to not wait in a queue line like everyone else (which we normally do.) Sorry to rant - this struck a nerve with me.

dclfun said:
DJBounce I took offense to this also - you're not alone. It was our daughter's wish to go back to WDW. She LOVES it there! This is her chance to really be treated like a princess. So what if we have been there several times already and we have multiple trips planned in the future. We are trying to go to WDW as much as possible while she is still with us. I would give anything for her to be "normal." But God had another plan for her. So if anyone is offended that a Wish trip has been granted for her said:
I entirely agree with both of you.
Someone who is on a MAW trip and/or has a terminal illness doesn't know what kinds of tomorrows they will have. The point of their trip is to make memories and have a good time on the trip they are currently on.

Incidentally, I have been waiting for the wheelchair accessible car at attractions before when someone with a MAW button or life support equipment has been brought thru the back door or brought to the front of the line. Every time that has happened, the other guests already waiting have been gratious and understanding. I have never seen anyone have a problem with it or make any complaints or any comments that were anything but supportive.
So, I think most people do not feel like that poster.

joanchris said:
the following is the info I was going on when I asked the question (from Pixiedustinn*dot*com)....I guess I'm wondering if NOT staying at GKTW is going to limit our ability to access more rides/attractions during the daughters 5-6 hours of "good" time each day. Since it is a smaller wish organization that we're going through I was wondering if it would be recognized as MAW is, but they do have a chapter near Orlando, and I'll talk to our wish coordinators in 2-3 wks when they drop off "everything we'll need" for our trip. thanks again for the help here on these boards, it's great!

GAC FAQ
What does it allow you to do?

The cards all look the same, but each card has different instructions stamped on. We are aware of 5 different messages; there may be more.

* Allows a stroller to be used as a wheelchair in mainstream queues and at alternate entrances. ECVs and wheelchairs can be taken into any building or line without having any pass or card. This allows strollers to use the same alternate entrances.

* Allows a waiting spot shaded from the sun if the line is "in the sun for an excessive amount of time." Fo most of the lines, the largest part of the line inside a building or under a roof or shade. Some of the outdoor lines are even air-conditioned to avoid getting too hot. This is helpful to people who are sun or heat sensitive.

* Allows an alternate entrance waiting area for people who can't wait in line. This one is mostly used for children/adults with conditions like autism, ADD or other health problems that make waiting in line difficult or dangerous for them or the people with them. This would also apply to people who suffer from agoraphobia or severe panic attacks that would make waiting in line in close contact with other people impossible. Also, this is used for people who are immunosuppressed and need to avoid infection.

* Allows ‘front and center’ seating at shows, for people with severe visual impairments

* Kids at WDW thru the Make A Wish or similar organizations. This card allows "front of line" access because these kids are very fragile and have a life threatening condition. These cards are arranged thru WDW and Make a Wish or Give Kids the World as part of their visit.

For the first 3 categories, you will be asked to use FastPass if available and you are told that the card will not allow immediate access to rides/attractions. You will often still need to wait; it just may be in a different place.
That information is very familiar to me because it is an edited version of what I wrote and used to post every time someone asked about GACs (I had it in my clipboard on my computer). Teri, the owner of that website was very active for a while on the disABILITIES Board when it first started.

I stopped posting the specific information a few years ago because people were just asking for specific GACs and not explaining their needs to the CM. If you just ask, the CM assumes that's what you need (or sometimes gets suspicious about how you know what is on the stamp if you've never had one before. When you explain your needs, sometimes the CM comes up with something you didn't think about or they have something that better fits your needs than the thing you asked for.

To the OP...it doesn't matter which organization granted your child's wish or where you are staying. The fact that it is a wish trip is what qualifies you for the special GAC which you should have no trouble receiving. Kathy

dclfun said:
To the OP...it doesn't matter which organization granted your child's wish or where you are staying. The fact that it is a wish trip is what qualifies you for the special GAC which you should have no trouble receiving. Kathy

Kathy,
Thanks for the reassurance, I had thought it wouldn't be a problem, but wanted clarification. The wish granters are fabulous folks, and I didnt' want to call them with every question, they've been so great with arranging things for us. Let's just hope we get the "requested" view of the Castle for my daughter, even they couldn't get a guarantee on that!
Joan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter