GAC in restaurants

bean24

Earning My Ears
We are taking my DS(3) to WDW. He has ASD and we are planning on getting a GAC to keep him in his stroller, for lines and things. Will the GAC allow us to keep him in the stroller in restaurants if he is overwhelmed ie character meals. I just want to know we have that option if needed. Thanks

The GAC is only for attractions. My son also has autism. He's 4. I've asked this question before and especially about whether or not you can use a stroller in a restaurant. Apparently, the tables are pretty close together and there is not much room for strollers. Some people have been asked to move from their wheelchair to a regular chair and move the wheelchair somewhere else. I'e been told to ask at each individual restaurant, but not to be surprised or disappointed when they say no. I would try going at off times rather than peak meal times.

Mom2six summed it up pretty well.
GACs are only used for attractions.

One of the issues with using a stroller for restaurants is that in a stroller, your child will be sitting much lower than the table.
For character meals, some people find it helps to ask for a booth or a table along the wall. If you have your child with autism sit on the side along the wall or the back of the booth, you will be able to protect him more from characters coming up unexpectedly.

I think technically if the stroller is functioning as a wheelchair, they must allow it all the places a wheelchair is allowed. Similarly, they may ask people to transfer from their wheelchair for convenience sake because tables ARE close together, but they cannot make me leave my wheelchair elsewhere.

That does not mean, however, every CM will be versed in ADA law, which admitted is very fuzzy when it comes to using non "official" mobility devices.

The GAC does not work in restaurants, or really anything other than attractions.

I would suggest for any table service reservations, which you would need for character meals anyway, when you make the ADRs, let them know that you have an auitistic child who requires his stroller-as-wheelchair in the restaurant. Tell the reservationist that you either need a booth (where it is easier to create safe place no one can escape from, and that you would prefer instead to be allowed to bring the stroller in. They will just try to give you a table where the stroller/wheelchair can it.

The person on the phone puts a note in the system, which the restaurant looks at as they are planning their meal. Whenever possible I stop by the restaurant earlier that day and tell them I have a reservation and that I need to bring my wheelchair inside with me. This just gives then a few hours heads up.

SInce you have a stroller and not a wheelchair, I am not sure if this would work for you, but i just wanted to tell you what works for me. :)

We are taking my DS(3) to WDW. He has ASD and we are planning on getting a GAC to keep him in his stroller, for lines and things. Will the GAC allow us to keep him in the stroller in restaurants if he is overwhelmed ie character meals. I just want to know we have that option if needed. Thanks

We just got back. The GAC did mention stroller as wheelchair, but we didn't use it for the restaurants. However, we also had the stroller as wheelchair tag. We were able to use the stroller in every restaurant we went too. If the CM didn't see the tag, we just pointeded it out and had no problems.

Thanks for all the replies, I am just trying to get my bearings with all this:)

I will repeat what PP's have said. (Not the same situation but...) I have traveled 2x with a Sr. with mobility issues and an ECV. At check in, we received conflicting information at several TS. Some said for her to stay in ECV and use it as a dining chair (she can transfer but it is tricky), others said she HAD to transfer and move the ECV outside, others said transfer, but leave ECV at the table.Tusker House had all three sets of information doled out....
I agree that eating at off times may provide for more flexibilty within the establishment.

When my son was 3 we used the stroller in a couple restaurants, like Biergarten and Ohana, but in others like 1900 Park Fare it was way too crowded. We are going in October and probably won't use the stroller this time in the restaurants (he's almost 5).

When we make the ADR, we always tell them that he has Autism and we ask for a table by the wall or corner. This helps contain him and gives him a place to sit and play quietly or watch a video if he gets overwhelmed.

A lot will come down to how busy the restaurant is and what tables are available. They can not allow the stroller, WC, or ECV to block the aisles due to things like safety and codes. It would be dangerous to do so in case of a fire and needing to quickly evacuate the restaurant.

i use an ECV and had to transfer for all meals. if something had caused to have to move fast, i could not have done as ECV was removed from table. this was at all TS we were at. something to think about for this trip.

We just got back. The GAC did mention stroller as wheelchair, but we didn't use it for the restaurants. However, we also had the stroller as wheelchair tag. We were able to use the stroller in every restaurant we went too. If the CM didn't see the tag, we just pointeded it out and had no problems.

Which TS restaurants did you dine at where you used the stroller in the restaurant. We will be dining at Crystal Palace, Tusker House, Askershus, and Ohana (I think) for breakfast (with Lilo and Stitch?) :confused: I'd love to have the option!

I had our stroller tagged as a wheelchair and a GAC for our April/May trip. It was allowed in 'Ohana, but not in Garden Grill or Tutto Gusto. I would be prepared with a plan for when you can't use it.

DD uses a stroller as a wheelchair for her 'safe zone' and also she has low muscle tone. We've had a different experience each time w/ TS. I'd go with the expectation that no TS will allow a stroller and be surprised if they let you.

We've only been allowed to take the stroller in once-Le Cellier, and it was b/c dd had fallen asleep (our 'reservation' was 45 mins prior to seat time)

Honestly, the tables are so close together I wouldn't want to try it at a lot of places.

I think Tusker House should be fine..just let them know. There are lots of spots you can use and more room. We ate at Kouzzina and DS was asleep in a stroller and we were allowed to keep him in it.

REcently we were at WDW with two wheelchairs. They asked if you could transfer at a few places -- one could one could not and they were fine. At one spot they had benches and I knew my friend 's back would hurt without support so I said -- no they both need their chairs in this setting please and it was no problem. Luckily there was room at that location

Also at Crystal Palace my husband stayed in his chair and we were seated in a location near the door and wall with no problem with space~

Linda

Hello!

We've always had good experiences at the Disney TS restaurants! When you check in, explain your son's needs to the host/hostess and tell them that you would appreciate a table in a more quiet area of the restaurant, preferably by a window or a wall and that you'd be happy to wait for one until it becomes available.

That said, there are some other things you can do to facilitate a good character dining experience. First, realize that not all character meals are created equal when it comes to noise level! Chef Mickey's is extremely loud and the sound echos throughout the cavernous lobby at the Contemporary. You can see the same characters at the quieter, more intimate breakfast at Cape May Cafe and have a less "stimulating" experience!

Also, make your ADRs for "off" times. For example, a 4:30-5pm dinner instead of 6-7pm. You'll get more time with the characters that way and the restaurants will not be as crowded.

Another tip: definitely inform the character's "handler" that your child has autism/sensory issues. Once characters are aware of this, they always adjust their behavior so as not to overwhelm your child.

Don't be surprised, however, if your child wants nothing to do with non-face characters. My son wouldn't let them near him until he was at least seven! He did much better with face characters, such as princesses, Aladdin, Peter Pan, etc. Just relax and enjoy...

Have a wonderful vacation!

Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter