GAC questions

Nik's Mom said:
:sad2: If we have to get a fp, then we can't let our autistic ds see the attraction. If he sees it, he will want to get on right away. He can't get him to understand that we are coming back.

I feel better now! I thought I was the only one who had this problem. It didn't hit me last summer, because DH went to get FP's while the rest of us were doing something else. But last November, when it was just DS and I, he saw the ride and that was that! He threw a fit if we didn't ride NOW (plop down, we aren't doing anything if we don't do that ride right now kind of fit). He just doesn't understand.

My DS has Down Syndrome - not Autism, but it seems many of our challenges are similar.

LisaB

:confused3
LisaBi said:
I feel better now! I thought I was the only one who had this problem. It didn't hit me last summer, because DH went to get FP's while the rest of us were doing something else. But last November, when it was just DS and I, he saw the ride and that was that! He threw a fit if we didn't ride NOW (plop down, we aren't doing anything if we don't do that ride right now kind of fit). He just doesn't understand.

My DS has Down Syndrome - not Autism, but it seems many of our challenges are similar.

LisaB

Yes, I think Down Syndrome children do have some qualities similar to autistic children. There is a Parent of a Down Syndrome child who I talk to at my DS special day class. We both seem to have similar issues with our children. Don't worry, you are not alone about the meltdowns with fastpasses. There are alot of us out there with the same issue. I wish WDW understood that the suggestion to return with a fp doesn't work for us.

Nik's Mom said:
:confused3

Yes, I think Down Syndrome children do have some qualities similar to autistic children. There is a Parent of a Down Syndrome child who I talk to at my DS special day class. We both seem to have similar issues with our children. Don't worry, you are not alone about the meltdowns with fastpasses. There are alot of us out there with the same issue. I wish WDW understood that the suggestion to return with a fp doesn't work for us.
Actually, my DD who has cerebral palsy and ADD has many similar problems. Although, we sometimes have kind of the opposite - she doesn't want to go on, she doesn't want to go on. Wait, now she's ready.
And because it takes a long time to get her going in the morning, getting to the parks before the fastpasses for popular things are gone for the day is hard. And, if wee do get one, who knows if we will be at the park.

I think one of the problems is that some of the things (like fastpass) DO work for some people some of the time (like if you can get there early, or if you have someone in your party can go collect fastpasses). But, what works one day may not work the next day or with the next person who has the same main diagnosis.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter