Galveston fogged in. Wonder can't dock

She was finally able to leave port this morning around 6:30am CT, even in the fog, although it was slightly lifting, just about 14 hours late.

Glad you still made your flight, and thanks for posting!! We're cruising out of Galveston in December and I'll definitely remember this when it comes to booking our flights home.

We were on the cruise that came back Dec 23rd and we were "stranded" outside the port too. We were lucky in that southwest changed our flight for free but we had to kill 5 hours at Hobby and didn't get home until 12:01 Christmas Eve morning. They did a great job feeding us and let us stay in the cabins until 11:30 I believe.

It's a little creepy to be at anchor and see other huge ships right next to you in the fog.

That could help them make up some time. I saw on the other thread regarding this issue, that they've already announced that they're cancelling Key West, so that's another sea day.
Not surprising. We were on the Dec 30th Wonder cruise. The first day and a half, the ship needs to go nearly at full speed to reach Key West just around lunch on day 3. With a 14 hours delay, it was impossible to make it while keeping the guests onboard comfortable. The shaking was bad enough on the normal schedule.

Not surprising. We were on the Dec 30th Wonder cruise. The first day and a half, the ship needs to go nearly at full speed to reach Key West just around lunch on day 3. With a 14 hours delay, it was impossible to make it while keeping the guests onboard comfortable. The shaking was bad enough on the normal schedule.
It's too bad they couldn't move the Key West stop to their 6th day (a sea day). That would still give them over a day to get back to Galveston.

Glad you made your flight!

How did you like the re-imagined Wonder? We're thinking of booking on her for next year.

Thank you. We got to the gate right after they started the boarding process (here we thought we would have hours to kill in the airport!)

I liked it well enough. I know I am a hold out but I still miss Parrot Cay. But, that said, I think they really did a great job on Tiana's Place. We had rotation TP TR AP TP TR AP TP. They are using two letters for MDR designation because both Triton's and Tiana's start with T. The live music was great but the restaurant does get very loud. We enjoyed the Tiana's menu and the Beignets were yummy.

We stayed at the Hilton Galveston Island Resort for 2 nights before the cruise. They have a shuttle to the port that is complimentary. We took the 11:00 am shuttle but it was running a bit behind schedule. We used Galveston Limo from IAH to our hotel in Galveston and then back again. They were fantastic. They kept monitoring the fog situation and were there when we finally got off the ship at 4:00 pm.

Azur was nice....seemed more upscale than the old Wavebands. They put in one more row of seating so they decreased the dance floor a bit (at least it looked that way to me).

Crown and Fin was very nice. A nice English Pub.

Cadillac Lounge was also beautiful. Honestly don't know if they spruced it up at all or not but it looked good.

Deck 4 outside still needs some work.

We had the serving team of Nino from the Philippins and Andre from Portugal. They were wonderful. We had Table 52 in the center of the dining room. They moved all the serving stations to the sides of the MDR so it looked very nice and open.

We were in Cabins 2556, 2558 and 2560. 2558 and 2560 connected with the interior door and I know 2558 did not have the pull down bunk. There are located right off the elevator lobby but the location was great. So easy to get back to your cabin for things. No noise that bothered us.

The seas were very rough and it was very windy the first 2 days. They had all the outdoor areas roped off.

That's it for now.

MJ

Last edited:
Thank you. We got to the gate right after they started the boarding process (here we thought we would have hours to kill in the airport!)

I liked it well enough. I know I am a hold out but I still miss Parrot Cay. But, that said, I think they really did a great job on Tiana's Place. We had rotation TP TR AP TP TR AP TP. They are using two letters for MDR designation because both Tritan's and Tiana's start with T. The live music was great but the restaurant does get very loud. We enjoyed the Tiana's menu and the Beignets were yummy.

We stayed at the Hilton Galveston Island Resort for 2 nights before the cruise. They have a shuttle to the port that is complimentary. We took the 11:00 am shuttle but it was running a bit behind schedule. We used Galveston Limo from IAH to our hotel in Galveston and then back again. They were fantastic. They kept monitoring the fog situation and were there when we finally got off the ship at 4:00 pm.

Azur was nice....seemed more upscale than the old Wavebands. They put in one more row of seating so they decreased the dance floor a bit (at least it looked that way to me).

Cadillac Lounge was also beautiful. Honestly don't know if they spruced it up at all or not but it looked good.

We had the serving team of Nino from the Philippins and Andre from Portugal. They were wonderful. We had Table 52 in the center of the dining room. They moved all the serving stations to the sides of the MDR so it looked very nice and open.

We were in Cabins 2556, 2558 and 2560. 2558 and 2560 connected with the interior door and I know 2558 did not have the pull down bunk. There are located right off the elevator lobby but the location was great. So easy to get back to your cabin for things. No noise that bothered us.

The seas were very rough and it was very windy the first 2 days. They had all the outdoor areas roped off.

That's it for now.

MJ
Hi MJ, we had Nino for our server too on the Dec 30 cruise. DS14 loved his magic tricks every night.

I liked it well enough. I know I am a hold out but I still miss Parrot Cay. But, that said, I think they really did a great job on Tiana's Place. We had rotation TP TR AP TP TR AP TP. They are using two letters for MDR designation because both Tritan's and Tiana's start with T. The live music was great but the restaurant does get very loud. We enjoyed the Tiana's menu and the Beignets were yummy.

That's it for now.

MJ

Thanks for the report. I've not been on the Wonder since my first cruise in 2000. We've been on the Magic after the re-imagining. They do a great job keeping the ships fresh and intertesting.

Thanks MJ

We board the Wonder in 3 weeks and know we are going to miss Parrot Cay, it is our favorite and the traditional start to every cruise. We have been on the Magic since replaced by Carioca's, did not like it as much as we like Parrot Cay.

What was your feelings about sailing in and out of Galveston ? We ended there in our Panama Canal cruise, it was fine but not as convenient as either PC or MIA.

Oh, completely forgot to comment about the new Frozen show. It was very good!!! They added a matinee showing of it at 2:30 pm and it was packed!!! We went to both the matinee and our 6:00 show.

MJ

Last edited:
Thanks MJ

We board the Wonder in 3 weeks and know we are going to miss Parrot Cay, it is our favorite and the traditional start to every cruise. We have been on the Magic since replaced by Carioca's, did not like it as much as we like Parrot Cay.

What was your feelings about sailing in and out of Galveston ? We ended there in our Panama Canal cruise, it was fine but not as convenient as either PC or MIA.

Sailing out of Galveston was OK. Transportation options are limited. There is only one car rental office on the island which is Enterprise/National. They wanted $100 one way drop off fee so we took a car service from IAH to our hotel but rented a car in Galveston for the day before the cruise. They came to my hotel to pick me up and bring me to the office to get my day rental. They also drove me back to my hotel after I dropped off the car. I was chatting with the rep and she said no other car rental agencies wanted to chance opening up again since they all lost so many cars after the last hurricane. Also the ride from IAH to Galveston is pretty long.

Triton's was open for embarkation lunch. You order off a menu, not a buffet. They no longer do embarkation lunch in what is now Tiana's. Cabanas was open for embarkation lunch. We opted for Triton's as we figured Cabanas would be packed since it was so cold out the day we boarded and the outside seating was closed.

We had Captain Gus. He was as great as ever!!

MJ

Rice Bowl 1.JPG Rice Bowl 2.JPG
Is this in all the dining rooms? Or just Tiana's?

Just Tiana's. Oh, and we had our sail away party in the atrium since it was raining out when we were about to sail away.

On Pirate night we had the fireworks at 8:00 pm. The pirate show was right before that. No buffet after as second dining was beginning.

And for the poster last week who was asking about the rice bowls. Yes, they do have them for lunch at Daisy D Lites. They had plain white rice and rice with black beans and then all sorts of toppings. There did not seem to be any sauces to tie it all together so I had them add some lentil soup to my rice and then I added some cashews, green onion, fried onions, etc.

MJ

Last edited:
View attachment 215134 View attachment 215135

Just Tiana's. Oh, and we had our sail away party in the atrium since it was raining out when we were about to sail away.

On Pirate night we had the fireworks at 8:00 pm. The pirate show was right before that. No buffet after as second dining was beginning.

And for the poster last week who was asking about the rice bowls. Yes, they do have them for lunch at Daisy D Lites. They had plain white rice and rice with black beans and then all sorts of toppings. There did not seem to be any sauces to tie it all together so I had them add some lentil soup to my rice and then I added some cashews, green onion, fried onions, etc.

MJ

Those rice bowls make me so happy!! Yay!!!

Does the Wonder now have a Concierge lounge? My older son has some minor sensory issues and I am mildly claustrophobic. We loved the concierge lounge on the Dream because it was place where we could spend time away from the room where it wasn't too loud or too crowded.

Those rice bowls make me so happy!! Yay!!!
I had super yummy chicken biryani there one day. So good! The CM manning it was Indian and so thrilled to see me so happy to find it that he gave me an enormous pile for my late afternoon "snack". I guess that turned out ok b/c it never did come back to their menu the rest of the week!

Does the Wonder now have a Concierge lounge? My older son has some minor sensory issues and I am mildly claustrophobic. We loved the concierge lounge on the Dream because it was place where we could spend time away from the room where it wasn't too loud or too crowded.
I did not sail concierge (need to win the lottery first, ha!) but the small outdoor deck above Cove Cafe that used to be public is now concierge access only. From the windows outside, it appeared there was an indoor area too, but you'd probably want someone else to confirm.

I did not sail concierge (need to win the lottery first, ha!) but the small outdoor deck above Cove Cafe that used to be public is now concierge access only. From the windows outside, it appeared there was an indoor area too, but you'd probably want someone else to confirm.

I believe that the inside part, that used to be entirely the Outlook Cafe, has been divided so that only part is now the Cafe and the rest is for Concierge guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter