Gatlinburg, TN

Merilyn

DIS Veteran
Has anyone stayed at any of the resorts in Gatlinburg, TN that we can trade to? We are expecting our first grandson this next March and need a close place to go this next summer. WDW is out of the question, as we usually go in May. I do hope to make it next Oct and with the new baby! Thanks for the information.
Merilyn

Merilyn said:
Has anyone stayed at any of the resorts in Gatlinburg, TN that we can trade to? We are expecting our first grandson this next March and need a close place to go this next summer. WDW is out of the question, as we usually go in May. I do hope to make it next Oct and with the new baby! Thanks for the information.
Merilyn
I've been to Tree tops and GTS. I hadn't realized that Mountainloft had been removed. I wonder if it's because it's slipped or because of competition from Bluegreen. I believe that Doc owns at TT and can likely give you a lot more info. TUG would be a viable options to gather info as well. I don't know the other two very well other than Sunterra is not 5*. Other than weeks 41-43, Gatlinburg is an easy exchange as a rule. I'd have to question the returned value of any of the resorts in the area for 270 DVC points for a 2 BR.

We own at Tree Tops, but usually use it as an exchange. It is a nice resort but, IMO, not comparable to any of the DVC Resorts. It's located at the edge of the Smoky Mtn National Park- just outside of the downtown area of Gatlinburg.

We often stay at Sunrise Ridge, 5 miles away from Gatlinburg in Pigeon Forge . It is a new resort and the accommodations are similar in size and quality (again, IMP) to the DVC resorts. (Sunrise Ridge is a member of the Amber Vacation Club- along with Tree Tops and several other resorts).

I agree with Dean's thoughts about the value of DVC points for an exchange to this area, but if you can't go to WDW and Gatlinburg is within your driving range, it's a great area with lots to do and is a viable way to use your points. We were there 10 days ago and enjoyed our stay as always. We've been going every year since the early 80's and really love the area.

If you have any questions about the resort or the area, just let me know.

What about Westgate Smokey Mountain resort? My parents own there and love it.

http://www.wgsmokeymountains.com/

You could probably check the cash rates and see if you'd be better exchanging or renting your DVC points out and using the money to pay cash.

Good luck!

Merilyn said:
Merilyn

You can also trade into Sandestin now.

Merilyn said:
Merilyn
If you know someone who belongs to II or RCI, you can likely get something much easier and cheaper. There are currently studios and 1 BR for summer at a couple of resorts including Mountainloft and Westgate. I didn't see any 2 BR but it shouldn't be hard to get something for that time. Another place to consider from where you are is Branson.

Thanks for the information. My daughter, who is having the baby, lives in Maryville, TN. It would be very easy for them to come over for the day or several if we stay in Gatlinburg. It would just be a nice change for us. We always stay at her house. We usually go for the day and then leave before we have seen and done everything. This way we can go and come as we want. I will check on the other options but I know it isn't DVC. I just had some points I have to use and thought that would be nice for all of us.
Thanks again, Merilyn

OH!!! And the big news, IT'S A BOY!!! :cool1: Found out yesterday.

We have also been looking in this area, but for Easter 2006. We have been on the waiting list at Hilton Head since early October for a 2 bedroom there. Since we have about 220 points banked from last year that we have to use in 2006, plus our 2006 points, I thought this would be one way to use our points. I really don't want to go the rental route unless it was someone I knew.

But to repeat a previous question...what about the Westgate property there. It looks nice and has had some nice reviews on TUG. Anyone been there?

My plan is that if the DVC HH doesn't come through by January 1, I will put in an II trade request for:

1. Marriotts on HH
2. Marriott at Myrtle Beach
3. Westgage at Gatlinburg

I know it is Easter week and very very prime, but I'll give it a shot.

David

David in Manassas said:
We have also been looking in this area, but for Easter 2006. We have been on the waiting list at Hilton Head since early October for a 2 bedroom there. Since we have about 220 points banked from last year that we have to use in 2006, plus our 2006 points, I thought this would be one way to use our points. I really don't want to go the rental route unless it was someone I knew.

But to repeat a previous question...what about the Westgate property there. It looks nice and has had some nice reviews on TUG. Anyone been there?

My plan is that if the DVC HH doesn't come through by January 1, I will put in an II trade request for:

1. Marriotts on HH
2. Marriott at Myrtle Beach
3. Westgage at Gatlinburg

I know it is Easter week and very very prime, but I'll give it a shot.

David
If you want HH, why not put in the request now. You can have the request and wait list going at the same time. Since you want a 2 BR, your cost would be cheaper for 7 days than through DVC, I'd assume it's 252 points for that time, not 270. DVC would be 280 for the full 7 days. And IMO, 3 of the Marriott's at HH are superior overall to DVC due to their beach front location. Only 2 are currently on the DVC list but expect Surfwatch to be added in a year or two. And that is not a difficult time to get overall for HH. There are currently weeks for Early to Mid March at HH Marriott's plus others and there are March weeks for Myrtle Beach but the only Marriott week is the 31st of March to 7 April. Nothing otherwise for April right now. And there are DVC weeks on II for early and mid March as well.

I took Dean's advice and put in the II trade request for April at HH. You never know if you get lucky. Also, a very kind board member is going to personally check out the trade locations in TN and let me know.

Thanks to all!

David

Doc,

We leave for Sunrise Ridge next week. Thanks for the comments. We have stayed at Treetops and Gatlinburg Town Square but never at Sunrise Ridge and wondered if it is nice.

Becky

I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! There are 2 types of 1BR units, 2BR units in the main buildings as well as 2BR pedestal units and several 3BR pedestal units. Great views of the smokies!

Have a great trip! :)

We are going to hear the Von Trapp Grandchildren at Dollywood and really liked the location of Sunrise Ridge. I am glad to hear that it has good views of the mountains.

I sent you an email with a few questions about Amber Club.

Thanks,
Becky

Dean said:
Other than weeks 41-43, Gatlinburg is an easy exchange as a rule. I'd have to question the returned value of any of the resorts in the area for 270 DVC points for a 2 BR.

It's not surprising to me what Dean said; however, when we went to a timeshare sales presentation with Bluegreen in this area, we were told by the salesman that owning one week in Gatlinburg would get you two weeks, prime season on property at WDW. Good thing we didn't believe him! Going through two different timeshare presentations prior to the DVC one sure made us appreciate our DVC guide!

gracelrm said:
It's not surprising to me what Dean said; however, when we went to a timeshare sales presentation with Bluegreen in this area, we were told by the salesman that owning one week in Gatlinburg would get you two weeks, prime season on property at WDW. Good thing we didn't believe him! Going through two different timeshare presentations prior to the DVC one sure made us appreciate our DVC guide!
A common timeshare presentation lie with just a shred of truth. Some weeks in Gatlinburg would get you a bonus week. And it's certainly possible to trade both a week in Bluegreen and a bonus week, for DVC. But the times available and pickings are pretty slim.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter