• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gay friendly at gay days...a question

OKW Lover

Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle.
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
My wife and I are probably going to the MK this Saturday (5/7) and want to show our support. I know that red is the color of the day, but is that also appropriate for people who aren't gay, but just allies?

My wife and I are probably going to the MK this Saturday (5/7) and want to show our support. I know that red is the color of the day, but is that also appropriate for people who aren't gay, but just allies?

I think [taking your adopted gay Disney son and] being your natural happy loving supportive selves would be terrific.

I think it's a great gesture and my parents have gone in red before. I also know friends who go with a tink theme or character theme and just buy the rainbow ears pins to wear. Or there is always the free I'm Celebrating buttons and write something like equality on them.

I've traveled with straight friends on several trips, and they wore red to show support. It is perfectly OK.

I know some allies wear related colors - pink, or something white with red on it. IMHO, it would be fine for you to wear red, too.

My wife and I were wondering about this, too. We just got back last night from a week down at WDW. Just about every day, we saw one of those propeller planes flying over the parks warning everyone about Gay Days. Seeing those planes really p#ssed us off. Luckily, they didn't seem to have much impact on anyone's decisions to visit the parks as they were just as crowded as ever!

Throughout the week, we saw several people and groups who were obviously participating in Gay Days (custom t-shirts made up, etc.), and we wanted to show our support and solidarity. However, we didn't know if it was acceptable for heteros to wear the colors or pins in support. We were afraid of offending and being accused of "stealing" their thunder.

On our last day, I unintentionally was wearing a red t-shirt (last clean shirt I had for our trip). After finding this thread, my wife and I decided to buy the rainbow Mickey ear pins and wear them as a symbol of support. I hope no one minded. At least no one seemed to mind.

Just wanted to mention our experience in the MK on Saturday. It was a lot of fun! We met up with some friends that sometimes post on these boards so we chatted with them a bit and then headed off on our own. Lots and lots of red shirts that day. Many of them customized. :thumbsup2

Oh, and we saw no inappropriate PDA's.

I had a nice time, too. On Saturday, I met up with fellow DVC Mod, Jim C and his wife for lunch at Liberty Tree. Everyone was respectful that I saw, didn't see any problems. But man was the weather hot this year!...I know it is hot every year, but it just seemed worse this year.

But man was the weather hot this year!...I know it is hot every year, but it just seemed worse this year.

Agree on the hot!! That contributed to our cutting our visit short. Although we now live in central FL, we haven't yet acclimated.

We are allies who always wear red whe we're there for GD...we spend numerous day with our dear friends we're there to support. Be proud and wear red, the support from allies is more than welcome.

Just wanted to say my boyfriend and I were at WDW from 6/3-6/10 and we had NO IDEA it was Gay Days! I'm reading this thread now in utter shock.:eek: We would have LOVED to participate. Of course we were in different parks on different days but we saw NOTHING out of the ordinary. So really, straight people have nothing to fear. We did see 4 older women on our bus from Beach Club to MK about whom I whispered to my boyfriend, lesbians or nuns? (no offense to anyone), but in all honesty except for a few rainbow cupcakes in the bakery, which I thought were from last week when I thought Gay Days were, we saw nothing to indicate there was lots of family present. DAMN! I have wanted to attend Gay Days at WDW since I first came out in 1983 and I can't believe I was right there and I missed it. I doubt we will go again as we usually go in the fall or winter and the June heat and humidity really did a number on us, but I could kick myself for not checking the dates. But even without checking the dates, nothing we saw led us to believe we were in the midst of Gay Days!:sad2:

We (my fiancé and I) have been so busy lately that we have totally not kept up with any current events. when we got on property we realized it was "Gay Days" and we were having a terrific time till we saw the "religious protestors" and sky writing. I am so over the hatred....

Just wanted to mention our experience in the MK on Saturday. It was a lot of fun! We met up with some friends that sometimes post on these boards so we chatted with them a bit and then headed off on our own. Lots and lots of red shirts that day. Many of them customized. :thumbsup2

Oh, and we saw no inappropriate PDA's.

I am sorry I missed you that day.

I'm glad you had a great time and that you were able to see that the old rumors that still float around out in the internet are false. I do hope that Pete will some day update his blog post on the subject.

I am sorry I missed you that day.

I'm glad you had a great time and that you were able to see that the old rumors that still float around out in the internet are false. I do hope that Pete will some day update his blog post on the subject.

Sorry we missed you too! I really wish that one of the Podcasters would participate one year just to re-visit that old post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter