Gay History 101

OrlandoMike

<font color=red>all I can say is beer hurts when i
Seems like some our younger friends dont have some of the knowledge that some of us....ummmmm....more experienced people do. Thought it would be fun to start this thread to share information.

I'll start.

Did you know Agnes Morehead was gay? Yes folks, Endora on Bewitched was a big ole Les! Think of that next time your watching TV Land.

Who's Next?

Are you forgetting Darrin#2 (Dick Sargent) and Uncle Arthur (Paul Lynde)? We can call Bewitched the Queer Eye of its time. ;)

Here are two more:

Claudette Colbert
Judy Holiday[font=times new roman, times, serif][/font]

OK now history for $500.

Anyone remember the hankies gay men wore in their back pockets?

Wow, that even amazed me that someone thought of all of that!

OrlandoMike said:
OK now history for $500.

Anyone remember the hankies gay men wore in their back pockets?

Wow, that even amazed me that someone thought of all of that!
What-da-ya-mean remember it?!! I've still got the pocket size laminated chart!!

All gay men our age do! Kids these days must think we were crazy!

Ok we were!

LOL

Here's another one, to go along with the hankies, do you remember wearing keys clipped on to a loop of the jeans?

Do you remember that the right side and left side meant something different, and that on the east coast what it meant was the reverse of what it meant on the west coast?

iankh said:
Do you remember that the right side and left side meant something different, and that on the east coast what it meant was the reverse of what it meant on the west coast?
Now, I didn't know that (having spent my formative years only on the west coast).

Okay, now I have a question for our lesbian sisters who are of a certain age. Did you all have some equivalent of hankies or keys to indicate certain, um, proclivities, interests or tendencies?

When I was a college student in 1991-95, gay people and their supporters wore buttons with a triangle insignia. A pink triangle against a black background was for a gay man and a black triangle against a white background was for a lesbian. The triangle insignias were the same symbols that the Nazis used to label gay men and lesbians in the concentration camps.

I remember the first time that I wore a pink triangle button. It was a big step in my coming out and embracing my identity as a gay man. Now I rarely see the triangles used as a symbol of identification.

Me Too!

I wore a pink triangle on my belt in college, and it was also a big step for me in comming out!

WOW See it us a Small World after all.

I would love to hear from the girls how it was back in the day!

Okay...I hope that I'm not out of line to ask this here, and if I am, I do apologize! I just have never thought to ask anyone I know around home...but I was told once that the rainbow colors used by the GLBT community were taken from the Rocky Horror Picture Show...one of my favorite movies. The guy who told me said it was from the scene when Rocky is brought to life. So, since this is Gay History 101, is this correct?

Thanks! And again I apologize if this question was out of line...I just want to make sure I have correct info so I don't perpetuate a myth.

momsgoofy said:
Okay...I hope that I'm not out of line to ask this here, and if I am, I do apologize! I just have never thought to ask anyone I know around home...but I was told once that the rainbow colors used by the GLBT community were taken from the Rocky Horror Picture Show...one of my favorite movies. The guy who told me said it was from the scene when Rocky is brought to life. So, since this is Gay History 101, is this correct?

Thanks! And again I apologize if this question was out of line...I just want to make sure I have correct info so I don't perpetuate a myth.
This is the first time I've heard this. Wikipedia and a couple other sources cite 1978 as the first use of the rainbow flag as a gay pride flag (rainbow flags have represented several social movements over time). More info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_flag

There also a short article at http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/scotts/bulgarians/rainbow-flag.html that discusses the origin of the rainbow flag as a gay pride flag.

Seattle in the '80s is where I learned about bandanas . . . for the most part, I only saw them on leather dykes. I had a bunch from when I was a camp counselor (yes, a Girl Scout) and was amazed that someone had come up with a whole 'code' using them!

LukenDC said:
When I was a college student in 1991-95, gay people and their supporters wore buttons with a triangle insignia. A pink triangle against a black background was for a gay man and a black triangle against a white background was for a lesbian. The triangle insignias were the same symbols that the Nazis used to label gay men and lesbians in the concentration camps.

I remember the first time that I wore a pink triangle button. It was a big step in my coming out and embracing my identity as a gay man. Now I rarely see the triangles used as a symbol of identification.

Just a slight correction, the Nazis used pink triangles for homosexuals and black triangles for prostitutes, not lesbians. In the 1980's the black triangle was adopted as a symbol for lesbians.

There is a book called "The Men of The Pink Triangle" it is only about 50 pages long. This book tells the story of the pink triangle - personally I don't like embracing a symbol born in so much fear and hatred.

On another note - what is with the bathlis? I have been out for over 15 yrs and still don't get that one :(

I wrote a paper for school one time about the symbols of lesbians - pretty interesting stuff - the rainbow does have an orgin story in San Franscisco (I don't recall it off hand) and each color represents something. The bathlis or battle axe is usually used by the hard core lesbian, another symbol adopted is the Lambda or greek L - for the obvious reasons. I recently saw a silver lipstick of all things :rotfl2:

Does anyone remember the flap about earrings? Which ear and where on the ear?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter