Gay History 101

Damn, and I thought that gaydar was how y'all knew about each other. LOL, one thing I was told was gay men wore one earring on the right ear, straight men on the left.

In my old days of being an office manager, I displayed a pink triangle magnet on the entrance to my cube. It was to symbolize a "safe place", corporate speak for anyone entering would be treated with respect and dignity, no matter sexual preference or orientation, etc. There were no gays in my office, but there were a few straights that took exception to it. Too bad for them being the narrow minded jerks that they were.

Love all this history, tho. Now I suppose I will be on the lookout for hankies, bandanas, keys, etc.

SeattleRedBear said:
This is the first time I've heard this. Wikipedia and a couple other sources cite 1978 as the first use of the rainbow flag as a gay pride flag (rainbow flags have represented several social movements over time). More info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_flag

There also a short article at http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/scotts/bulgarians/rainbow-flag.html that discusses the origin of the rainbow flag as a gay pride flag.

SeattleRedBear...thanks for clarifying this for me...since I had only heard this once I really did want to know if it was true. I found the articles interesting...especially the one from wikipedia.

Thanks again!

momsgoofy said:
SeattleRedBear...thanks for clarifying this for me...since I had only heard this once I really did want to know if it was true. I found the articles interesting...especially the one from wikipedia.

Thanks again!
You're welcome. I see you're a T.A. Can you put in a good word with the Tag Fairy for me? :teeth:

Here's a tid-bit. The Stonewall riots took place the same time that people and a lot of gays were in New York mourning the death of Judy Garland in 1969.

SeattleRedBear said:
You're welcome. I see you're a T.A. Can you put in a good word with the Tag Fairy for me? :teeth:

I can try...I only got mine when the Tag Fairy was handing them out freely and I shamelessly begged using the lines I got tagged with...I'll put in a shameless plug for my new DIS friend... pixiedust: pixiedust:

momsgoofy said:
I can try...I only got mine when the Tag Fairy was handing them out freely and I shamelessly begged using the lines I got tagged with...I'll put in a shameless plug for my new DIS friend... pixiedust: pixiedust:
Thanks much!! It's all i can ask.

OrlandoMike said:
Seems like some our younger friends dont have some of the knowledge that some of us....ummmmm....more experienced people do. Thought it would be fun to start this thread to share information.

I'll start.

Did you know Agnes Morehead was gay? Yes folks, Endora on Bewitched was a big ole Les! Think of that next time your watching TV Land.

Who's Next?

Pretty much weren't alot of the people on Bewitched gay - i.e Dr. Bombay and Uncle Arther, Darren #2...

Endora.... ?? :scared1: wow... never heard that one.

SeattleRedBear said:
This is the first time I've heard this. Wikipedia and a couple other sources cite 1978 as the first use of the rainbow flag as a gay pride flag (rainbow flags have represented several social movements over time). More info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_flag

There also a short article at http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/scotts/bulgarians/rainbow-flag.html that discusses the origin of the rainbow flag as a gay pride flag.

Thanks for the link. :wave2: I had always heard the myth that the flag derived from "friends of Dorothy" . To which, it incorporates the stereotype thing that gay men love Judy Garland (I don't know if this is true or not, so please excuse my ignorance) , hense the rainbow (from Wizard of Oz,,, "somewhere over the rainbow."

momsgoofy said:

Thanks again!

Randy Shilt's book Conduct Unbecoming tells about Gilbert Baker's creation of the Freedom Flag (Baker was an Army Draftee). Interesting reading.

/carmi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter