Gay Week (5-26 thru 6-3) For Straight Parents

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is it any more difficult to explain 2 gay people are kissing than it is to explain why 2 straight people are kissing?
Well JennyMominRI, I guess that if children have been in a household with a mother and a father who they see kiss and have not been around "gay couples" then I would assume that the parents would have to explain that relationship to them. Like I said before, we all should be able to choose when we talk to our children about certain issues.

Wherever do we find the time?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good for you dear. By all means protect the children.

But you really have to admire the energy of the gays. Why just think of the things they've been up to of late:

**Parades all over the place with all those clever little cheers--"2, 4, 6, 8, how do you know your kids are straight?" Disturbing, but clever.

**Sneaking into the Republican Party and Christian Right when no one was looking -- someone forgot to watch the back door.

**Absolutely ruining marriage in Massachusetts -- I know several people who had happy, normal, heterosexual marriages and until the day that gays could tie the knot; as you can imagine those couples hardly know each other anymore.

And on top of all that they manage to organize a week in Disney World. I know that Disney doesn't officially recognize their efforts, but I distinctly recall reading that for every child exposed to a public display of affection a swell toaster-oven is awarded.

The whole country is going to heck in a hand basket.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: I was just reading...wasn't going to post but this has me (and dh) in tears laughing (I sincerely hope you meant to be sarcastic/funny). It takes a special "Bostonian" attitude to appreciate this.

I can totally understand what the OP was talking about but here's my story.

We planned a Disney vacation 2 years ago not realizing that we were planning during Gay Week. When we figured it out, I did some research online to see what days would be the assigned park days. ;) We were a little leary but figured if we just avoided them, no biggie. I too, envisoned what sights my children would be seeing.

Long story short, it was fine, for the 3 yo who had no exposure and as well for the 13 yo and 16 yo. Ironically, it was an 18-20 yo straight couple that offended me the most. While waiting in line to meet Mickey Mouse, the boy stroked the inside of the girls inner thigh and into the crotch area right in front of us.:eek: I was VERY offended at that. Now I will be honest, that my children coming from a very small town and being sheltered did snicker at the first outwardly gay people but after awhile, it was no biggie and there was no man on man, girl on girl action like I worried about. Quite honestly I get grossed out thinking about that, but I know many of my gay friends that get just as grossed out at the prospect of straight PDA's. :rotfl:

Actually I was way more envious of the haute couture designer clothing that the men had on. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Also, in a weird twist of fate my 16 yo DSS experimented in a gay relationship about 6 months after our trip. NO, I do NOT think she became gay as a result of seeing it at Disney. But it certainly flipped the tables on us and made us realize that EVERYONE deserves to be happy, the decision to be gay and out is not made easily or without consequences. I still adore her girlfriend and treat her as my daughter even though the two are not together. Are we glad that our daughter is straight, honestly yes because she will have an easier time of it if she continues to live in this area. But I will never pre-judge someone simply because of who they choose to be with.

I will get off my soap box now. Please know that whatever position you take, your children will not be emotionally harmed from this experience. Everyone that I met was on their best behavior and we had no problems other than the one mentioned. The only noticeable thing is the red shirts.

Well JennyMominRI, I guess that if children have been in a household with a mother and a father who they see kiss and have not been around "gay couples" then I would assume that the parents would have to explain that relationship to them. Like I said before, we all should be able to choose when we talk to our children about certain issues.

How about. Sometimes couples are like Mommy and daddy, A man and a woman..Sometimes a couple is two women and sometimes a couple is two men.. f you really want to you can always follow that up with,All couples that are not male -female are evil and the downfall of society as we know it..Short sweet and too the point.

I'm sure this thread will close soon but to the OP. I went and scheduled a vacation in 2006 during gay days, with my husband and 2 sons, gay days had nothing to do with my planning, it just happened that way. It was like any other day in Disney. There was nothing and I mean nothing that either my husband or myself found at all uncomfortable or alarming. I wouldn't worry about it. Just go down enjoy yourself and have a great vacation.

Tolerance goes both ways, it amazes me how some forget that in these threads, on both sides. :sad1:

I would like to know were you guys draw the line at "acceptance and diversity."

Fair enough, but then where do you draw the line, and what makes your line more valid?

Why stop at gays? Why not put women back in the home? Didn't we have fewer problems before women entered the workplace? Weren't children better off when mom stayed home instead of running off for all that career nonsense?
And blacks marrying whites--weren't things better back in the 50's before we allowed all of that? In fact, life was simpler and safer in the early 1800's before we ended slavery.

I think you're right. I think we lose as a society when we fail to teach family values. I just don't agree that bigotry is a family value.

can someone please let me know where i can find a schedule so i can avoid homophobic, pedantic, so- called- christian days. i don't want to have to explain to my 6 year-old concerning all of the hypocritical tsk-tsking in public.

seriously, i have a six-year-old, and i relish the opportunity to teach him what i think is right or wrong about this world. even if i don't have a condemnation or recommendation, talking with him ensures that i teach him about his world rather than allowing the misinformed to teach those lessons for me. talking to him lets me get to know him. rather than avoid something that i find "uncomfortable," i let him know what is important to me by discussing it with him.

p.s. a dancing banana is an odd smilie to choose for someone wanting to avoid "gay" issues. sorry about that last.

Fair enough, but then where do you draw the line, and what makes your line more valid?

Why stop at gays? Why not put women back in the home? Didn't we have fewer problems before women entered the workplace? Weren't children better off when mom stayed home instead of running off for all that career nonsense?
And blacks marrying whites--weren't things better back in the 50's before we allowed all of that? In fact, life was simpler and safer in the early 1800's before we ended slavery.

I think you're right. I think we lose as a society when we fail to teach family values. I just don't agree that bigotry is a family value.

I think I love you.

Before it gets closed - popcorn::

I do hope the OP was joking. What a shame in this day and time to be so offensive to a perfectly wonderful loving part of human kind. Last time I checked w/ my BIBLE GOD loved EVERYONE!!

What am I to do, we fly out tomorrow and my parter and myself are gay? We are meeting up with my Mom, brother and sister-in-law for our 2nd annual family vacation. This is my Mom's vacation and we are all her invited guests and we are already planning our 3rd annual trip for January 2008 with my gay cousin and his partner.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: I was just reading...wasn't going to post but this has me (and dh) in tears laughing (I sincerely hope you meant to be sarcastic/funny). It takes a special "Bostonian" attitude to appreciate this.

Sarcasm is just one more service we provide at no extra charge.

I would like you guys to look at the crime rates in the past thirty years. They have soared.

Actually, violent crime and murder rates have declined. You might find "Freakanomics" an interesting read. Or perhaps not, given what the authors say about why the crime rate has decreased...
As an aside--I'm reading "Team of Rivals" right now, about Lincoln's administration/slavery etc. Interesting (or rather, I should say "sad") that what's said about homosexuals today is the same as what was said about blacks during the mid 1800's, when Americans tried to justify slavery and inequality between the races.:sad2:

Thanks to all. Ive realized that the world has changed. for those that disagree with me thats life. for those that I have offended than I apologize, what amazes me is that I have received 32 private messages all from different people with old school family values that support me, what baffles me is that how most of my support this had to be secretive. Kinda like the way Americans are silent to the illegal aliens thinking that they can come into this country and demand higher paying jobs,healthcare etc.. not tring to change the subject.. In Closing Disney Still Rocks,,,,

What am I to do, we fly out tomorrow and my parter and myself are gay? We are meeting up with my Mom, brother and sister-in-law for our 2nd annual family vacation. This is my Mom's vacation and we are all her invited guests and we are already planning our 3rd annual trip for January 2008 with my gay cousin and his partner.

If you don't shave, wear a cowboy hat, and arm bands you should be safe!

I don't believe that this is a helpful trip planning thread so I'm going to close it now.

Katholyn

I would like to know were you guys draw the line at "acceptance and diversity." This attitude, while sometimes good can also be a dangerous thing. Who should we be accepting of next? Once you start saying "well their not hurting anyone" or "it's their choice," can lead you down a dangerous slope. I often study ancient history in my spare time and can tell you that many societies that let the traditional family values decline were either wiped out or faded into existance. I would like you guys to look at the crime rates in the past thirty years. They have soared. If you ask many experts they will tell you that a big part of it is due to the decline of the traditional American family. Am I blaming it all on gay's? No, however I strongly believe that a family should be made up of a mother, father and their children. Just because it's the twentyfirst century doesn't mean that we should throw all of our traditional values out the door. If you guys want to flame me thats fine. I really don't care, however it makes me sad to know that so many of you think that being gay is acceptable and should be tolerated. If you guys wish too debate this further I should be on the computer for the next hour.

Thank you for your two cents professor narrowmind. Are you saying it is my brother and his husband's fault some punk kid with absentee or worse parents (probably even straight) is out on the streets committing a crime? Sure family values are responsible for this...but who are you to tell me or anyone else that your ideal family is the one embodied with the only correct values. Perhaps we need to look at the heterosexual men that are abandoning their responsibilities as husbands and fathers. Perhaps we need to look at the heterosexual parents that are not taking the time to teach their children the dangers of using drugs and giving them the self confidence to say no in the face of peer pressure. Maybe we need to look at the parents that are too busy spouting hatred of anyone that is different than them to teach their a valuable lesson of love and respect.

Traditional family values.....where do I start on this....
Please define the traditional family? Are you referring to the biblical family of a man, his wife, his other wife, her maid and their various children? OR are you referring to the traditional american family of a husband, his wife, and 10 kids living in a shack out on the range with no other people within 100 miles?

second....there was a fairly popular Republican president that made a habit of sleeping with men. It is documented. Wasthis why he was shot? was his perceived homosexuality why this country was nearly destroyed in a civil war? NO it was devisive people with different traditions that had very incompatible value systems.

Get off your high horse, realize there are other people in this world who are different than you.

In closing...my brother is gay...so is his husband...they are my family. They are perfectly acceptable to me, and I have no problem telling my children about their uncles.

Just my 39.7 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter