• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gaydays? Has anyone been to Dw...

Daze77619

Earning My Ears
during this time? Ive been planning my families vacation for years now and we only have 1 week out of the whole year to go to DW and I just learned it will be during gayday 2002. My problem is I have young children who do not know about homosexuals and I dont want to have to start explaining this on our vacation. Has anyone been during this time and if so how obvious was it? Did you have any problems? I dont mean to offend anyone I was just wondering what to expect.

What adults tend to forget is that young children think nothing of same-sex physical closeness. Little kids hug and kiss all the time; they don't put a sexual connotation on it at all, so the sex of the persons involved is irrelevant to them.

The only way I can see it causing questions is if YOU react weirdly, because your kids will notice that. Except for the fact that the Magic Kingdom is REALLY crowded that Saturday, and all of the participants will be wearing red t-shirts, you probably would not notice anything really out of the ordinary at all.

I've been there on several Gay Day weekends, I don't see what the big deal is. (Believe me, the cheerleaders and the Brazilian 16 yo's are much more annoying.) In fact, you may find that the rides in Fantasyland are less crowded that weekend, because so many people w/ young kids over-react and shy away.

We've been to WDW two different years during Gay Days and had no problems. My DD didn't notice a thing. We did avoid MK on the day of the big meet because we heard that it would be very crowded. Although I did spot some same sex couples in other parks, the only thing I saw was a couple of guys holding hands. I don't think you need to worry about your kids.

We started our vacation last year during the final weekend of Gay days. Our boys were 7 and 9 at the time, so I expected to see them giggle and snicker. To my surprise, what seemed "obvious" to us went right over their heads. We were in line with a male couple that were cuddling on the dock waiting for the boat back from DD, but the boys never even noticed! We also encountered a few other couples, both male and female, over the weekend and they were all very friendly and fun people to be around.

Other than the obvious crowds, I wouldn't avoid Gay Days. Have fun!

Go to gayday.com. They have a published schedule of their events. The crowds are HORRENDOUS on that Saturday at the MK. Other than that, we just visited parks that were not on their schedule.

My brother is gay, so my kids have seen this all their life. But, I definitely wanted to avoid crowds for our June 2000 trip. We went to gayday.com and they have the official park of the day. We just avoided the park of the day. My DH & DD did go to MK on Saturday & saw some wild people!

We saw a lot of gay couples with children. We talked to one couple(guys) with 2 kids. They said they are proud to be gay, but didn't want their kids to see the wild people any more than straight families, so they also avoided the park of the day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter