• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

GC DVC artist rendering

Longhairbear

DIS Veteran
The artist rendering of the Grand Californian DVC looks exactly like the Grizzly Peak side of the hotel, complete with monorail beam running alongside.

It may very well be from the original Grizzly Peak drawing from 1999 (although I cannt see any monorail beam in the new rendering). The hotel has always had a planned expansion, It was to start in 2002. September 11th derailed that. It is however the real article. It is published on the DVC member site.

I looked at a blown up picture of the rendering. I think I can see what you are mistaking for a monorail beam. When you look at an enhanced image this area is clearly a roof that estends over a covered walkway. It dose look a little like a monorail beam.

I think the 'monorail beam' is a covered, exterior walkway. The supports don't look like the monorail supports to me, and it appears to be casting a shadow on the building, like an attached walkway would. I think there is an 'eyebrow' roof over the larger opening at the far right of the picture, which wouldn't be consistent with the monorail beam. Also, the picture shows exterior windows that have no balcony- I'm not sure they have this on the current hotel.

I looked at a blown up picture of the rendering. I think I can see what you are mistaking for a monorail beam. When you look at an enhanced image this area is clearly a roof that estends over a covered walkway. It dose look a little like a monorail beam.

Yep, it does look more like a roof overhang, when blown up. Also I compared pics, and the monorail beam is more than halfway up the GC in height.
I am still having trouble figuring exactly where this rendering depicts.

Here's dwelty's and my take on where the artist's rendering is:

I have been looking at this rendering, and I think I have figured it out. It looks like it will be T shaped as we all assumed. It looks like this was drawn from the vantage point of looking from the existing pool area into one corner of the T. The walk way on the right (thru the building) makes sense since there was an existing access point from the front of the hotel that would be blocked if they did not allow for the walkway. The part of the building on the left of the photo is clearly DVC (Notice the lack of a balcony in on the master bedroom part of the villa). It is one floor shorter than the other section because this part of the building is most visable from DCA. (I assume to reduce visual intrusion into the park) This part of the building that we see faces the pool area. The other side will face DCA. This means that they are giving DVC the better views. THe part of the building on the right are standard rooms, as they will blend in better with the existing structure. This is speculation, but I am fairly sure that this is correct.

I agree- I spent a while looking at it and this was the only orientation that seemed possible. For me the key is the glass walkways between the upper floors of the building (the ones over the ground-level walkway you mention). The only place this would make sense would be at the junction of the existing hotel and the new addition. But I hadn't been able to identify what would be DVC and what would be hotel rooms- good catch on noticing the differences with the balconies on the left-hand section. It also ties in with the earlier rumors that the DVC units would be built in the "grassy area", because that's where that block stands. This would be GREAT if it is true, because this would give DVC only theme park or pool views- no parking lot views at all!

Here's dwelty's and my take on where the artist's rendering is:
It makes sense, and my partner also thinks it will be T shaped. I was wondering if it was an L shape. But if you count the rooms on the hotel side, I think a T makes more sense, and that the other part of the T will be hotel rooms facing PP. I counted the 50 equivilant units in the DVC, with only 10, five on each side, missing from this rendering.
Do you think the center tower connecting the 2 wings is an elevator? I would imagine the ground floor of the hotel portion holds the grocery/gift shop. Perhaps even a food court. The extra height of this wing gives it the same number of room floors as the DVC wing, if the ground floor holds retail space. It would be great if this ground floor also contained a VWL like lobby/ Iron Spike Room type of space.

It makes sense, and my partner also thinks it will be T shaped. I was wondering if it was an L shape. But if you count the rooms on the hotel side, I think a T makes more sense, and that the other part of the T will be hotel rooms facing PP. I counted the 50 equivilant units in the DVC, with only 10, five on each side, missing from this rendering.
Do you think the center tower connecting the 2 wings is an elevator? I would imagine the ground floor of the hotel portion holds the grocery/gift shop. Perhaps even a food court. The extra height of this wing gives it the same number of room floors as the DVC wing, if the ground floor holds retail space. It would be great if this ground floor also contained a VWL like lobby/ Iron Spike Room type of space.

I was just at the site this weekend. I still think it will be T shaped, however, I think one side of the "T" (the side facing Disneyland Drive) will be shorter than the other side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter