Geeks On A Plane - 1/11 PTR * Postponed :( 7/2

DisneyFirefly

DIS Veteran
pixiedust: Hi there! pixiedust:

I'm mostly a lurker of the Dis, but I do sometimes post. I post a lot on the games board, but my main area for lurking is the DFTW board. If I ever get married, I want it to be at WDW :bride:

Table of Contents
Planned Restaurants
Possibly nixing the Universal day
Definitely nixing the Universal day
The One Armed Man appears
MK Must-Do's
Changing from Contemporary to POR
DHS Must-Do's
And we go from 3 geeks on a plane to 4!
Shopping and airport transportation details.
Wishes cruise instead of Cirque
Picture post 1
Picture post 2
Epcot Must-Do's
DAK Must-Do's
More changes
Mother's Day pics
Six Flags mini-TR
More shopping ideas
Random updates
DBF and I broke up :(
Possible postponement :(
Postponed until November 2011, but I'm going in October 2010!
New PTR for Halloween trip!

Starring Roles

Me
n184102196_31300913_7924.jpg

I'm Dana. I'm 25, born and bred in Chicago, but I feel like I belong in Orlando. I'm a former CM. I did the College Program twice and absolutely loved it. My first CP was in 2004, when I worked in housekeeping at the Boardwalk. My second was technically an alumni program, followed by seasonal employment, in MK custodial. I'm currently working in health care, and planning on applying to nursing school in the fall of 2011 for admission in fall of 2012 (stupid waiting period :headache:). Hopefully I'll be able to move back down to Orlando and get a job as an RN down there, possibly even in the parks. If all goes according to plan, I should be done with nursing school in 2014, right around the time I turn 30 :woohoo:

Jacquie and Ian
n1217320362_30090096_2469.jpg

Jacquie and Ian live out in Dekalb, IL, which is about an hour or so away from me. Jacquie and I were roommates freshman year of college. We hit it off the first time we spoke, actually. Our school sent contact information for roommates prior to semester start and we talked for probably about two hours on the phone the first time. Our third roommate hated us and moved out not long after Halloween that year. Ian's her husband. She's 25, he's 24. I've known Jacquie for almost eight years now, and Ian for just a few months less. They've been married for three years this May, after being together since Jacquie was a senior in high school. I actually remember when he proposed to her, because I was across the room! He did it on the phone (we were in school in Wisconsin) and she just started crying and I asked her if she was okay, and she just says, "Yes, he proposed!" Anyway, she's one class shy of a Bachelor's in chemistry, and he's half done with a degree in history. She works in customer service, and he works for campus security.

On Location

We're currently planning on staying at the Contemporary in a Tower room, but if we don't have the money, it'll be Caribbean Beach. I've only ever stayed at Pop, and they've never been at all. I worked at Boardwalk and have resort hopped to see almost all of them, and I particularly love the Yacht & Beach Club and Wilderness Lodge. We'd probably stay at Yacht Club, but we're leaning toward Contemporary because we want to be on the monorail. Plus, the view just really can't be beat :cloud9:

Shooting Dates

We're planning on January 5-12, 2011. We'll be flying on Southwest out of Midway in Chicago. Jacquie and Ian are spending the holidays in Texas with his family, and are coming back (I think) January 2, so we decided on Jan 5-12 so that they'd have a couple days to take care of things at home, do laundry, re-pack, and have a couple days to themselves. I'm hoping that Ian's spring term that year won't start until after the 13th, for obvious reasons, but he may be done by then anyway. My school usually starts around MLK Day, so mine's not a problem.

Build-Up

This is likely going to be the only time we ever get to do this, unless I ever do get married at Disney or they have a vow renewal down there. It's something we've been planning for about six months because they have financial issues (Ian's job sucks, and Jacquie was unemployed for half of last year due to the economy), just as I do (also unemployed for half of last year, partly due to the economy, partly because I lost my job at Disney :headache:).

Originally, we were planning on it being a celebratory trip for their respective graduations and my admission into nursing school, but that's changed. There's no way I'll be ready to apply for nursing school by the time the next cycle rolls around (the next round of applications start October 1, 2010), so that's out. I'm not sure if Jacquie will be able to graduate by then, but Ian will almost definitely not. We're hoping Jacquie will be done by then, since she's only got the one class left.

The reason for the title is that we're a bunch of geeks. We're all Browncoats, Jacquie and I are Gleeks and Hufflepuffs, and Ian's a gamer (both board and video). If you understand any of that first bit, you rock. We tend to talk in movie and TV quotes. We love to cook and eat. Whenever we get together, at least part of the day (because it's rarely less than a day) is spent either cooking something or talking about recipes we want to try. Part of what we're looking forward to most about this trip is the food :cloud9:

Script

Jacquie and I have decided that our ethos for this trip is "Go big or stay at home". So, we're going big popcorn::

I have an in-depth spreadsheet with each of our days planned out with what restaurants we're going to try and get ADR's at. :surfweb: The only one I'm really concerned about is Le Cellier. We're booking as early as we can so we can take advantage of the 180+10 for ADR's. We're doing the DDxP because, this way, we can afford to eat at places like Coral Reef and CRT. If we weren't doing the dining plan, we'd be eating QS and in our room all week. We think it'll work out for us because we're going in low season and, honestly, with a former CM, we'll have a pretty good idea of what to hit first and what can wait. Also, we're planning on going to four different Signature restaurants and a dinner show, so that's half of our credits right there (30 out of 63). On our park days, we only have two restaurants each, so we will have the time to properly wander the parks. The other days are resort/DD hopping days, along with a Universal day.

We're going to spend one day at Universal IOA because of the new Harry Potter park. As I said above, we're a bunch of geeks, so it's honestly the only reason we're going to Universal. When I was living in Orlando, I never once made it into either of the Universal parks, despite living right near them. I made it to City Walk a few times, but that was it.

If we have to cut something, it'll likely be the Universal day, because it'll be a minimum of $240 just to get into the parks (3 adult tickets plus taxes). We're not sure yet, though. We want to go, but it's not that important. If we really want to spend another day at a park, we'll probably just pay the extra couple bucks to get another day at Epcot or MK and pay OOP for QS or something.

They don't know it, but I'm going to be surprising them with tickets to Cirque Du Soleil :rolleyes1 I sort of never got them a wedding present, due to financial difficulties (Jacquie knew what was going on and insisted that I not), so I'm getting them tickets for that. I'm planning on going to the AMC theater or something while they see the show.

Jacquie and I are planning on getting a custom cake at the Grand Floridian. On my spreadsheet, I have us there for breakfast on our first full day, so I'm assuming we'll be able to get it then. We're leaning toward that awesome Haunted Mansion cake I've seen in the cake threads, but I'm not sure if we can get it there or if we'd have to get it at the Contemporary. If that's the case, I might look into having it delivered from private dining or something. If we can't get it at either place, then we'll figure something out, as long as it's awesome. Ian, of course, has no idea.

Actually, Ian has no idea about most of this. He's actually told Jacquie that he'll just let us plan it, and he'll show up and pay his share. :yay:

We're going to be renting a car, since we're going to be there for eight days and only four of those days will be in-park :drive: We don't want to spend several hours a day sitting on Disney buses and the monorail trying to get from resort to resort, and then the Universal day and everything... It's just easier. It'll be a little expensive, but it'll be worth it.

The One-Armed Man

There's a very slight possibility that there will be four of us instead of just three. It depends on if I happen to meet someone (i.e., a guy, so I'm not a third wheel all week :lovestruc) who happens to want to come with. Because it's not likely to happen, we're planning for three adults, but we have discussed a contingency plan. We've decided that if there are going to be four of us, we'll likely just get connecting rooms at CBR, because there we can get a two room package for the price of our package at CR.

Again, this isn't a very likely outcome, because it's less than a year away and even though I'm a romantic, I'm also a realist and I know that there's very little possibility that anyone I meet would want to come with on the trip after dating for less than a year. Still, because there is that slight possibility, we've got the contingency plan in place. At any rate, if I don't meet someone by the time we book in the summer, we're just going to go ahead with CR.

And Now For Something Completely Different...

Less than 11 months until we step foot on Disney property! Yay!

:dance3::dance3:

i'm here! sorry to hear about your jobs! my boyfriend has been unemployed for 2 years!! He's in the construction industry and it's been really slow. really can't help the economy!!

Well, can't wait to hear more!!

*keala*

my boyfriend has been unemployed for 2 years!! He's in the construction industry and it's been really slow. really can't help the economy!!

Oh god, tell me about it. My father's a union carpenter who works in residential and commercial construction and hasn't had a steady job in almost four years. He can find day work here and there, but that's only when he manages to get on a set-up or tear-down crew for a convention at McCormick Place or Navy Pier. I hope your boyfriend finds something steady soon :( It really sucks in the construction industry right now. I'm so grateful that I'm working and that, even if I lose my job, I should be able to find a new one pretty quickly. I'm a CNA, and there's a relatively high turnover rate for that position at most facilities.

Anyway, thanks for following along! :cutie: I'll probably be posting our list of restaurants later. I literally just got home from work (yay third shift), so am about to crash.

Oh god, tell me about it. My father's a union carpenter who works in residential and commercial construction and hasn't had a steady job in almost four years. He can find day work here and there, but that's only when he manages to get on a set-up or tear-down crew for a convention at McCormick Place or Navy Pier. I hope your boyfriend finds something steady soon :( It really sucks in the construction industry right now. I'm so grateful that I'm working and that, even if I lose my job, I should be able to find a new one pretty quickly. I'm a CNA, and there's a relatively high turnover rate for that position at most facilities.

Anyway, thanks for following along! :cutie: I'll probably be posting our list of restaurants later. I literally just got home from work (yay third shift), so am about to crash.

looks like we got a lot in common...i'm getting off third shift in about 2 hours! and i'm about to do the same thing!! go home and crash!! talk to you later!

So, I want to post the restaurants that we're going to try and get ADR's at. This is the main reason we're doing the DxDP. If we didn't, we'd never be able to afford to eat at all of these restaurants, and would likely only be able to do one or two and then QS for the rest of the trip.

We have two picky eaters (me and Ian, but Ian's worse than me), so it was kind of difficult picking restaurants. Thank god for AllEars and their menu pages.

Turf Club (Saratoga Springs)
We're going to have a 6:30am flight out of Chicago, and this restaurant seems like it'd be a good place to catch a decent lunch at. We may change it if we find someplace else that has good food, though.
Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue (Fort Wilderness)
We're hoping to do the 9:30 show for this one. It'll be an extremely long day, but that also gives us time to get settled at the hotel and take a nap and everything.
1900 Park Fare (Grand Floridian)
This is a breakfast. We're hoping to be able to get a custom cake here. I've heard that it's really good, so we're really looking forward to it.
Cap'n Jack's (Downtown Disney)
Jacquie really likes seafood, and this is also one of the few TS restaurants at Downtown Disney that takes the dining plan for dinner that we want to try. The other's Raglan Road, which is going to be the last one we go to before we leave for Chicago.
Artist Point (Wilderness Lodge)
It looked interesting when I wandered around WL, so we're checking it out :)
Coral Reef (Epcot)
Again, Jacquie loves seafood. This one should be fun, though, because she was originally a marine biology major, so we're hoping to be able to get a tank table.
Le Cellier (Epcot)
:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: I've wanted to go to Le Cellier since the very first time I walked past it. Never had the opportunity. I almost did when I left my first program, but then my dad looked at the prices and was like "Let's go to the fast food place."
Tusker House (DAK)
I've never been, but it looks like they have an interesting mix of food. Plus, it's character dining. Should be fun :)
Yachtsman Steakhouse (Yacht & Beach Club)
We're planning on spending the day at DAK, but you can do that park in a day, so we've got a dinner planned outside of it, at Yachtsman Steakhouse. It looks interesting to us :)
Cinderella's Royal Table (MK)
We're going to try and get a pre-open ADR here. I want Jacquie and Ian to see Main Street when it's mostly empty, and not just at the end of the night. My favorite picture I've ever taken of MK was when I had my orientation tour and was able to get a picture of the Castle from Town Square with maybe four people in the picture, all CM's. I'll post it at the bottom. I love it :cloud9: But we're also eating there because I've heard that breakfast is the best meal to have there, and I think they'd really like being able to eat in the Castle.
Crystal Palace (MK)
I loooove Crystal Palace. I love the Pooh characters. This is, so far, my favorite TS at MK.
Sci-Fi Dine-In (DHS)
Geeks + bad 50s sci-fi trailers + food = :cheer2: I've eaten here before, and I really liked it. I think Jacquie and Ian will get a kick out of it. They have FearNet as part of their cable package, and Jacquie and I have this habit of putting on awful horror movies and then making fun of them. We're planning on doing a lunch there.
Cape May Cafe (Yacht & Beach Club)
This is going to be dinner on our DHS day. None of the restaurants at DHS aside from Sci-Fi appealed to us (50s Prime Time sounded good as far as food goes, but Ian would NOT want to play along and it would actually ruin his day, so we're not going there), so we're leaving the park for dinner and then going back for Fantasmic, provided it's showing that night. If it's not, we'll head over to Cape May for dinner and then go back to hit a few rides one or two more times, then go back to the resort.
Narcoossee's (Grand Floridian)
This is going to be the dinner on our Universal/open day. The night before I left Orlando last January, my old manager (whom I adore and really hope I get to see when I go down) maingated me and my dad into MK. The day before that, though, my dad and I spent the afternoon and evening resort hopping. He absolutely loved the Wilderness Lodge. As I mentioned above, he's a carpenter, so he was just enthralled by all the details in the architecture. But at the end of the night, we'd found ourselves on the boat from the WL to the Grand, and the moment we stepped off the boat onto the dock, he just stopped and stood there for a second, sniffing. And then he goes, "I smell steak". :laughing: I'd never even seen Narcoossee's before, so I didn't know that it was the tiny little building just off the dock. He wanted to stop and get dinner, but then he saw the prices :rotfl: We wound up stopping at McDonald's on the way back to my apartment. I told Jacquie about it, how it's this little building right out on the water and you can see Wishes from it, and she was intrigued, so we're going there.
Captain's Grille (Yacht & Beach Club)
Breakfast on our last day. The main reason we decided to go with this one is because they have the option of doing buffet or a la carte.
Raglan Road (Downtown Disney)
I've wanted to go to Raglan Road since I found out they existed, but I never had anyone to go with. Now I do. We're going to check out of the hotel, head over to Downtown Disney for some last minute shopping, get lunch there, and then leave for the airport. :sad1:

Anyway, this is the picture I was talking about above. It's my favorite picture of Main Street :love:

n1217320362_30090070_2427.jpg

wow!! we ALL have something in common! so cool! by the way, i love your restaurant choices. i haven't eaten at any but reading the DIS and seeing the food pictures...sounds like some good choices. I want to eat at Le Cellier also but I just can't get an ADR that works with our schedule...looks like we just have to go back again!! :rotfl:

Yeah, Le Cellier is probably the hardest restaurant on property to get a reservation at. That's why I'm so concerned about not being able to get the reservation, although I'm sure we'll get it :) I mean, we're going in January, so I'm sure we'll get something.

I hope you guys can get one next time you go!

your trip sounds really exciting! i went to disney with my college bff for spring break our senior year, and it was TONS of fun! your dining choices look great, and believe it or not, i work third shift too (night audit/front desk at a hotel too!) who knew there were so many of us! lol

Turf Club--best discovery of our trip last year, the food and prices were cheap enough where it was always a nice, quiet place to grab lunch or dinner

Yachtsman Steakhouse--great steak (not as good as Shula's) but the second best steak house on disney property in my opinion

Cinderella's Royal Table---i haven't eaten here since 2002, all I remember was the dessert menu being very limited, maybe they've changed it by now

Crystal Palace--i love this one too:lovestruc the atmosphere and food are fantastic

Cape May Cafe--great place, the food is all of the normal things, but my family always agrees that this just does better at making these foods (that probably sounds crazy:lmao:_

I'm in!! Former CM and DIsney bride here :) I did my first CP in 99 and my second in 01...I'm a bit older than you are ;)

Your trip sounds like a lot of fun...and my DF is a gamer so I understand, lol.

your trip sounds really exciting! i went to disney with my college bff for spring break our senior year, and it was TONS of fun! your dining choices look great, and believe it or not, i work third shift too (night audit/front desk at a hotel too!) who knew there were so many of us! lol

We were only roommates for one year, and she spent spring break at home with Ian and I spent it in New Jersey with a friend from school. We're really looking forward to it :goodvibes We're really looking forward to our dining choices, too :woohoo: And yay for more third shift people! That's too funny!

Turf Club--best discovery of our trip last year, the food and prices were cheap enough where it was always a nice, quiet place to grab lunch or dinner

Yachtsman Steakhouse--great steak (not as good as Shula's) but the second best steak house on disney property in my opinion

Cinderella's Royal Table---i haven't eaten here since 2002, all I remember was the dessert menu being very limited, maybe they've changed it by now

Crystal Palace--i love this one too:lovestruc the atmosphere and food are fantastic

Cape May Cafe--great place, the food is all of the normal things, but my family always agrees that this just does better at making these foods (that probably sounds crazy:lmao:_

Glad to hear that Turf Club is good! It's the only restaurant we picked that I hadn't heard anything about, so yeah, glad to hear that it's a good place to eat at :) We're going to CRT for breakfast, so we don't really have to worry about dessert.

I'm in!! Former CM and DIsney bride here :) I did my first CP in 99 and my second in 01...I'm a bit older than you are ;)

Your trip sounds like a lot of fun...and my DF is a gamer so I understand, lol.

Hi Mandy! I actually read your wedding PJ a long while ago :rotfl: It should be fun, at the very least :) We started talking about it about eight months or so ago, but then really started looking into planning and such about six months ago. I'm an obsessive planner and I love Disney, so... Yeah :cheer2:

Thanks for reading! :cutie:

So, uh, we had an earthquake this morning!

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=7268309

Yeah, I was sitting at the reception desk at work and my mom texted me and said that there was an earthquake out in Dekalb, where Jacquie and Ian live and was Jacquie okay. Like I said, she's another daughter to her :rotfl: Anyway, I called her (feeling bad about doing so, since it was about 5:50am at the time) and got her voice mail. She called me back a minute later, said she was fine.

Then I said, "Well, since I have you on the phone, I have a question about the Disney trip..."

We were talking about possibly cutting the Universal day the last time I talked to her because it'll be somewhere in the area of $300 when you add in park tickets, food, and parking. I mentioned it to her again this morning, since I'd actually laid out our projected expenses on my spreadsheet, and we agreed that it would probably be best to just skip Universal. We really want to go, but not for that kind of money.

So, instead, we're going to get five-day WDW tickets and just grab counter service at whatever park we wind up at and pay OOP. It's likely to be either Epcot or MK, since we can easily do both DAK and DHS in a day each. If we do MK, we'll probably going to get lunch at Columbia Harbour House, as it is my favorite QS at MK. If we do Epcot... I have no clue, LMAO. Normally when I'd get QS at Epcot, it'd be at the Electric Umbrella, but I think we could probably try and do QS at one of the World Showcase locations.

Also, even though I got home about an hour ago, I'm slightly wired. Probably from trudging through the snow we got last night. So I made myself a bank out of a shoe box that I've been meaning to throw out. I'm going to run to the store later today (after I get some sleep) and pick up some cheap Disney wrapping paper and wrap it up and then, whenever I have cash or loose change, it's going in there. It's all sealed up, so I can't open it without ruining the box. I'll take a picture of it and post it later, once I get it wrapped up. It's a nice, thick cardboard, so it should hold up pretty well.

So I forgot to post the picture of my shoebox-turned-bank. Here it is :)

p1050430i.jpg

I picked up the wrapping paper at Walgreen's. And no, that's not an iPhone in the background, unfortunately. It's just an iTouch, but I love it anyway :teeth: My whole family's on a T-Mobile family plan (all five of us), and I'm not about to get a jailbroken iPhone when Apple's allegedly able to install things that will shut down your phone if it's jailbroken. I got it last week, directly from Apple, so it's engraved on the back with a quote from Walt Disney.

So anyway :)

I also bought a Wii when I got my tax return last week, and a copy of the EA Active game. It's basically a cardio version of Wii Fit, and you don't need a balance board to do it. It was recommended by a friend of mine who tried both and preferred that one. It's currently kicking my butt with the 30 day challenge, so I'm actually doing a custom workout. I have problems with rolling my ankles and, because of that, can't do a big portion of the workouts in the 30 day challenge. I got a couple other games, too, including the Toy Story Mania one :teeth:

I do need to lose weight. I've known that for a long time, but I've never really wanted to. I don't want to be a size 2, not that I think I ever could be. I just want to get down to a size 16/18. I'm currently a 26/28, but I fluctuate between that and a 22/24. I can fit into 22 jeans, but with the fact that most of my weight is centered in my midsection, I have a major muffintop when I wear those.

As far as plans for the trip go, Jacquie and I are still thinking about whether the Universal day is a good idea or not. Right now, the plan is to wait and see what the reviews of the HP park are like and go from there. It'll be more economical to just do another day at Disney, but we really want to do the HP park. So we're going to wait until it opens, see what people say about it, and then decide based on the reviews. We're mainly going for the theming, honestly.

If we don't go there, the day will either be at MK or Epcot. We've also decided that if that's what we do, we're going to cut our breakfast on our last day and use that batch of credits for lunch on the extra park day. If we do MK, we'll likely hit up Liberty Tree. The Plaza is a lot like restaurants here at home, and I've read too many mixed reviews about Tony's to want to use a credit there. At Epcot, we're leaning toward Rose and Crown. We're doing Narcoossee's that night.

Um... I think that's about everything for the moment. The only other stuff going on is that I'm heading out to Dekalb on Wednesday to see Jacquie and Ian, so it'll be fun to see them :3dglasses Also, I may have possibly met someone on eHarmony. Well, I did technically meet him, I just don't know if it's going to go anywhere. He's nice, though. I'll just see where it goes :)

Yay for Wii and Wii Active...we love it!! We bought the additional games for it too which are great...I actually like them better!

I'm gonna get the add-on next month :) I really like the Wii Active, though; a lot more than I thought I would. It's more fun to do than the tape videos my mom still uses from time to time. She does the Active, too, which is utterly HILARIOUS to watch :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter