Genealogy thread

Would they be a white British immigrant/enlisted red coat or a native of Barbados who enlisted in the colonial forces? I'm currently trying to narrow down sources for you. Without giving the person's name (for privacy reasons), could you give me any background information on the person you are researching? Family rumors in a war they might have fought in or a colonial regiment/fort they might have been stationed at?

Barbados became a Commonwealth country post WW2 correct? If that's the case, we would be looking for British Empire records, not Commonwealth records.

Barbados 🇧🇧 is now independent of the UK and has its own defense force as well.

Last edited:

Barbados became a Commonwealth country post WW2 correct? If that's the case, we would be looking for British Empire records, not Commonwealth records.

Barbados 🇧🇧 is now independent of the UK and has its own defense force as well.
Yes didn’t the whole Commonwealth up and leave about the same time?
Oh right, except Bermuda but then they’re not Caribbeanites anyway 🤣 (in house joke).

Yes, Empire records 🙂

Would they be a white British immigrant/enlisted red coat or a native of Barbados who enlisted in the colonial forces? I'm currently trying to narrow down sources for you. Without giving the person's name (for privacy reasons), could you give me any background information on the person you are researching? Family rumors in a war they might have fought in or a colonial regiment/fort they might have been stationed at?
Obviously, I’m tired since I missed this post completely.

Native Bajan who probably enlisted in the colonial forces. All I know is he was listed as MIA during the Boer War. He was my paternal great grandfather and since my grandfather was born in 1898 imagine he fought in the 2nd Boer War.

Native Bajan who probably enlisted in the colonial forces. All I know is he was listed as MIA during the Boer War. He was my paternal great grandfather and since my grandfather was born in 1898 imagine he fought in the 2nd Boer War.
This information is very helpful. I'll see what sources I can find for you. I'll post what I find later today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Pomerania

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomerania

If you have an Ancestry.com account, look at German and Polish records as a start. Then see what records exist for Prussia in general.
Buzz- That Wiki page has been very helpful with looking up what I had found for my 2nd and 3rd great grandparents. That might be as far as I can go on that side. I’m happy that at least I have town names now. Ancestry.com has been great.

The rest of my family is from England, Ireland and Scotland so that’s been easier. My family didn’t know much about my paternal grandfather’s family as he died when my dad was very young so that side has been very interesting.

Buzz- That Wiki page has been very helpful with looking up what I had found for my 2nd and 3rd great grandparents. That might be as far as I can go on that side. I’m happy that at least I have town names now. Ancestry.com has been great.

The rest of my family is from England, Ireland and Scotland so that’s been easier. My family didn’t know much about my paternal grandfather’s family as he died when my dad was very young so that side has been very interesting.
You may be able to go back further (1600's/1700's), given how big the Prussian Empire was back then. Check military, land, and tax records from those home towns. Ancestry has experts for each region that may offer you further assistance in your search.

Do you know what battle specifically? That could help identify his regiment. Can you give any specifics about him (excluding his name)? Have you searched military records yet or do you have any original documents?

When recently researching my family tree I discovered something strange with my paternal grandfathers father. His father, as listed on his birth certificate, died 3 years before he was born (verified both the death and birth dates) so obviously he wasn’t his father lol. So the last name I grew up with, my maiden name, was the dead guys name. But in reality whoever the real father of my great grandfather is, that’s the surname we should have. I always found it odd that in all of my thousands of dna matches on ancestry not one shared my maiden name, but all the other surnames in my family tree are represented among my matches. Now I know why. Id love to know what my “real” last name should be but have no way to know how to go about it. My great-great grandmother is dead so she’s not talking lol.

When recently researching my family tree I discovered something strange with my paternal grandfathers father. His father, as listed on his birth certificate, died 3 years before he was born (verified both the death and birth dates) so obviously he wasn’t his father lol. So the last name I grew up with, my maiden name, was the dead guys name. But in reality whoever the real father of my great grandfather is, that’s the surname we should have. I always found it odd that in all of my thousands of dna matches on ancestry not one shared my maiden name, but all the other surnames in my family tree are represented among my matches. Now I know why. Id love to know what my “real” last name should be but have no way to know how to go about it. My great-great grandmother is dead so she’s not talking lol.
Has your father's family ever heard rumors about the true surname/secret relationship your 2 times great grandmother had? I mean if the kid didn't look at all like the father, rumors would have been unfortunately spread back then, I'm sure. Have you tried other dna tests or looked at family photos that may give you a clue who 2x gg was having an affair with? I would think 2x gg would tell her kid who their father was when they were old enough, unless the love affair was instead a painful experience instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter