General Advice for 2 Days?

LysieLee

Earning My Ears
DH and I are considering a trip to SoCal next May (12th to the 18th). We'd be staying in or near Anaheim as our base, with a rental car, and are would be doing two full days at the park, most likely a Wednesday and Thursday.

**ETA: would Fantasmic! and WoC typically be shown on weekdays this time of year? Or would we better off switching to friday and saturday for this? **

He has never been, I've been several times but the last time was when Cars Land was still under construction, so it's been a while. We're WDW pass holders and have been to the parks here countless times, but would like to add a Land trip into our memories.

We're used to hopping to 2 or more parks a day here, but I'm not sure if we should get hoppers for DL or not? We'd be planning an open to close both days, and would definitely want to see/do as much as possible. Would Maxpass be a must or a maybe or a not really needed?

Does anyone know how DL is for vegetarians?

Anything else I may be overlooking?

Last edited:
Vegetarian options at Disneyland -- there are lots of other threads -- just do a search on this forum for more info.
Other info:
* DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here! -- this sticky from the top of the first page has TONS of great info for you!
From that sticky:
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets -- pre-SWGE, but still has great information!
HydroGuy Tips Compilation -- so many good threads here!
"Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" by @Skyegirl1999 - www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/ -- MP is new since you last visited -- read up on it here and get the parkhoppers to make the most of your two days! Ask any MP questions in that thread -- you'll get good help there.
ETA: WOC should run every night. To be absolutely safe about F!, it wouldn't hurt to include a Fri. or Sat. in your schedule.

Last edited:
Depending on the crowds its very doable in 2 days without hoppers if you priorities and use your MaxPass. But if one of the major rides, like Radiator Springs is down it can really impact the whole day at DCA that's where having Hoppers can help, but it's tough to spend the extra money too.

Should have no issues as non-meat eaters, like WDW you can see most the menus so you can find what appeals to you.

If you are hopping at WDW, you should definitely get park hoppers at DL. It’s so much easier here than at WDW. Especially if you are open to close types, the park hopper will let you jump back to DL when DCA closes (because it usually closes earlier).

Park Hoppers will be an absolute must, in my opinion. California Adventure (DCA) is not a full day park for me, I've usually done all I want to by afternoon and am ready to hop back over to Disneyland. On a two day trip, I would spend 1.5 of those days in Disneyland, and .5 in DCA.

I think that MaxPass will improve your trip as well. I was dubious about whether it would be worth the money, but I tried it out for a day on my last trip and now I don't think I'd go without it. Especially combined with park hoppers, it just makes things so much easier. For example, Radiator Springs Racers is a popular ride in DCA with very long standby lines. It's also really fun to ride at night. You can spend your day in Disneyland, making FastPasses for that park throughout the morning, then go back to your hotel for an afternoon break. Before you go on this break, or even while outside of the parks on your break, you can make a FP for Radiator Springs Racers for much later that evening. You can then come back to the parks (either one) after your refreshing 90 minute break and you can already be making another FP while walking back to the parks.

Situations like these are what make MaxPass, in combination with Park Hoppers, so useful. You can still get FPs the regular way by walking around to the in-park kiosks next to each FP eligible ride, but are you really going to want to stop whatever you're doing in one park to run over to the back of the other park because the FP window that you want for that ride has now opened up? It's definitely still possible to enjoy the parks without MaxPass, but for only two people I think it's definitely worth the extra cost.

Another vote for Park Hoppers for both days. It will give you so many more options and you will be able to work around wrenches like rides being down, FP returns being longer than you thought, etc. You could probably get away with MaxPass for just one and use that day to prioritize the rides that use it so that the next day, you can either pull FPs yourself or do standby for those rides or others.

DH and I are considering a trip to SoCal next May (12th to the 18th). We'd be staying in or near Anaheim as our base, with a rental car, and are would be doing two full days at the park, most likely a Wednesday and Thursday.

**ETA: would Fantasmic! and WoC typically be shown on weekdays this time of year? Or would we better off switching to friday and saturday for this? **

They ran both when we went in March, so I'm guessing May would be more likely

He has never been, I've been several times but the last time was when Cars Land was still under construction, so it's been a while. We're WDW pass holders and have been to the parks here countless times, but would like to add a Land trip into our memories.

We're used to hopping to 2 or more parks a day here, but I'm not sure if we should get hoppers for DL or not? We'd be planning an open to close both days, and would definitely want to see/do as much as possible. Would Maxpass be a must or a maybe or a not really needed?

Get Park Hoppers, especially if there are no young kids, I'd rope drop California Adventure to get Carsland, then hop over to DL and just go back and forth.

Download the APP and get the Max pass. Worth it for digital FP and Photo pass!

Get MaxPass for sure. It will maximize your time. We didn't do Park Hoppers for our 3 day trip, but if it were just H and I, I would definitely try to make it work in the budget. DCA was not a full day park for us, either, and we found ourselves with about a 3 hour window of nothing to do, no rides we wanted to go on, no FPs available, etc. Had we had hoppers, we could have just gone over to DL instead of sitting on a bench by the redwood jungle gym thing trying to figure out what to do 😂

Another thing to mention is that the morning hours are best at DLR, with much lower crowds and cooler weather. By 11 am the crowds start to pick up, and they gradually increase throughout the day. The crowds generally don't clear out until much later in the night, after the last fireworks or F! show. And even then I have stayed until closing at midnight sometimes where the crowds were pretty steady til the end.

All of this is to say that the ideal situation is to get started early, right when the park opens. You will get so much done in the first 2-3 hours. You mentioned that you were staying somewhere in Anaheim with a rental car. For the mornings you'll be going to Disney, consider staying at a hotel right across the street on Harbor Blvd. This will mean a 5-10 minute walk to the parks in the morning. This makes getting there for rope drop a whole lot easier than driving in from elsewhere and having to park. Plus, it would be cheaper as well, because DLR parking prices are insane. The neighboring hotels often charge for parking as well, but at a much lower rate.

I just came back from a two day trip to the park at the end of July. I will echo everyone else and say park hoppers are a must and MaxPass makes a huge difference. I've been a bunch of times before but never for so short a trip as this time. As many people will tell you, DCA is barely a full day park so having the hopper is nice in the event you cover it all in less than a day. We were in DCA for 8am rope drop, and by mid-afternoon (with MaxPass) we had hit all the major attractions and more so were ready to head over to DL. Nice to be able to pop across the esplanade and then wander back later in time for WOC. Have a great trip!

As with a bunch of other PP's, I agree 100%. Get Park Hoppers and Max Pass. :thumbsup2

As far as I know WOC is shown on weekdays, but I am not certain. If you can finagle WOC Dessert Party (yes, it is pricey) I say DO IT! Sitting down and enjoying the show with a fabulous view. Oh yeah ... worth every extravagant penny.

Agree that Hoppers & Maxpass (comes with photo pass) are a must. You can get discounted tickets before you go - I've found the best deal with Last Minute Travel( you can get a code for the free membership online) I recently got a 2 day park hopper for $255. the only down side is you have to purchase Maxpass once your in the park. Other people have found good deals with Undercover Tourist. Whatever you do DON'T buy your tickets at Disneyland the ticket sales lines are long. If you get there and haven't bought your tickets buy them using the App.

Other tips - be sure to be at Carsland close to sunset- the play the Sha-boom song as they light up the land. Very cool.
If you are going in May be sure to check when the Grad nights are happening. While it's doesn't really affect crowds I believe they may close DCA early for a party for them so that may impact your evening.
Also I don't recommend the park on a Monday - for some reason they are usually really busy.
If you wanted to break mid day and are driving - keep your receipt for parking -I believe it allows for re-entry
If you plan on seeing WOC and/or Fantasmic and you aren't doing a dinner/dessert package. Be sure to get your fastpass when you get in the park. They are usually all out by 1pm. The coolest themed restuarant at Disneyland is Blue Bayou (it's inside the Pirates rid)- I would recommend doing a Fantasmic dinning package. It's expensive but I feel like people should do it at least once. Do the wait for the water side table.

Definitely get hoppers and maxpass for maximum flexibility.

Unless it's down WoC typically runs every night. F!, OTOH, only runs nightly during the summer and some other peak seasons such as the couple of weeks around Christmas and New Years, some of spring break season (which is likely when a PP who was there in March experienced it every night). I would think F! (and fireworks) will only be Fri-Sat-Sun in Mid May.

As mentioned, you may also want to be aware of Grad Nights (search for other threads for more info). The Grad Nights that fall during your dates will be May 15th and 16th.

Definitely park hoppers!!!! I would also suggest more days... 3 at a minimum. more is better

A 3+ day ticket purchased in advance (through Disney or through a Disney authorized vendor, not at the ticket booth and not a military discount ticket) will come with a Magic Morning. MM is one hour early entry to DL, FL and TL only, on a Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday. With a good plan, you can get a lot done during a MM.

Rope drop Mission break out while grabbing a RSR racers MP the second you pass the turnstile. Wrap up any other must do rides at DCA and spend rest of time at DL.

I suggest rope dropping Soarin' (it's what we do, anyway!) since it is has one of the least consistent time-wise loading processes. While a lot of the line moves at once, it then doesn't move again for awhile and it's nice getting that out of the way early, or avoiding it pretty much all together by being among the first on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter