• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Generator running while running

A question for those of you with class C MH (or As)

The Roof top AC unit will only run when the camper is plugged in or on the generator, that being said, do any of you run your generator while driving down the road?

Yes, I have used a Class A before and thats the way you do it,
the one we used the generator ran off the main tank which was gas..

Yes,you can run the gen.with AC or Microwave,TV and any other app.You can also try using dash AC with the rear roof vent cracked open to allow air to flow thru entire MH.

Yes, we do this since our dash air gave up the ghost. We used to use a couple of fans, too, that helped push the cool air to the front. That was no longer necessary once we had to replace the old roof air, as the new Carrier puts out a torrent of air. Any how, runnig the generator while on the road is actually less problematic than when parked since there is extra air flow to keep the engine cool. Just make sure to keep the tank more than a quarter full.

We run ours all the time and we have an 18 hour drive. Our dash air gave out as well. My husband just removed the belts and everything associated with it. It helped with the gas mileage a little.

We just bought our 1st MH (a class C) last summer, so we haven't been able to use it much yet. When we bought it, though, the guy who did the walk-through with us told us to do just that - run the roof A/C to cool the body of the MH. He said it's more efficient than trying to cool the whole thing with the dash A/C. He mentioned the 1/4 tank thing, too, and said that our MH is equipped with a shut-off so that the generator will turn itself off if we go under 1/4 tank of gas.

Guess I'm the "odd man out"..

Have never run the gen on the road in the 10 yrs we've owned a MH. The dash air keeps the coach cool enough for travel. We will start the gen when we hit a rest stop for lunch or if we are in a long check in line but that's it.

I have a generator in the front basement of my 5th wheel. When we are an hour or so out from our destination, I'll fire up the generator and run the AC for the rest of the drive to cool down the trailer before we get there.
I think all my friends with motorhomes run the gen while on the road. Most said it's the only way to keep the whole coach cooled down.

j

In my C I ran the generator when we were driving to provide power to the AC for the coach, and for the fridge and for the electronics the kids use as we travel. If I didn't do that, the back of the coach would heat up and make it unbearable for them to travel.

I will do the same in our A.

We do it all the time in our class A and did it when we had the class C. As others have said, it will eventually shut off when the gas gets so low to keep you from running out.

We have used the generator to power the AC and fridge while driving in all of our MHs. This is also a good way to make sure the generator is exercised. Many RV owners do not realize that a generator should be run with a load on it at least 1/2 hour to 2 hours per month.

We run our generator running down the road all the time, half of the time, air might not even be on. I hate running the refrig off of gas, have a fear about this. We have a Class A

We run our generator as well while going down the road, powering both roof AC's as well as a TV or two, a PS3 and too many other things (iPod chargers, laptop, etc.). I find that I use less gas running the generator and leaving the dash AC off then when I don't run the generator and use the dash AC. Especially when pulling the "toad" or boat.

Yes, we do it all the time. Takes less diesel than the dash AC and cools better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter