Genie+ And Ticket price increase 10/11/2022

Agree. The current DL product is NOT a premium product. Far from it IMHO. Last week our experience was a disappointment as the parks were packed to the point that it wasn’t enjoyable but as I stated in another thread, the suits could care less. They know that if a person leaves, there is another person to take their place.
Yes, the only way for something to change for the better is if the out of town guests have such a miserable experience, they stop coming.

So...for a family of 5, if we wanted to have a 1 day park hopper on a peak day, we're looking at $1200? And with Genie+, that's $1325? I could go to Disneyland for 1 day or rent a cabin in the mountains for an entire week...which pretty much means my family will be spending a lot of time in the mountains. I'm assuming they're trying to encourage families to take multi-day trips instead because a 5-day ticket with park hoppers is $2325 (or $2950 with Genie+), which looks a lot more appealing than the day trip cost.

I don't know...I love Disneyland and always will. But I'm just not loving spending my entire paycheck on a trip.

I am thinking MK renewals open up with a price hike as well. We had been planning on trying to get some but with all the current chatter of the park experience, I am now not sure.

I sure do hope to hear better reports after Halloween.

Renewals already did reopen with a big price hike and decreased experience (Dream is gone, for example, and a new tier Inspire was added that Dream can downgrade to that costs $200 more, but now blocks out the end of the year). Happened back in August. Some even speculated that the fact MKs had a discount for G+ added meant an increase was imminent that would negate the discount.

As for new MKs, honestly, who knows what that will look like or when it will even happen. And depending when that happens it would be a second increase in a potentially short time span. Wouldn't be the first time they've done a price hike twice within a year, though. I don't put it past Disney to do another large increase on those.

Renewals already did reopen with a big price hike and decreased experience (Dream is gone, for example, and a new tier Inspire was added that Dream can downgrade to that costs $200 more, but now blocks out the end of the year). Happened back in August. Some even speculated that the fact MKs had a discount for G+ added meant an increase was imminent that would negate the discount.

As for new MKs, honestly, who knows what that will look like or when it will even happen. And depending when that happens it would be a second increase in a potentially short time span. Wouldn't be the first time they've done a price hike twice within a year, though. I don't put it past Disney to do another large increase on those.
Sorry. I was distracted. I meant I was hoping new purchase would reopen. I don't really feel like I care right now though. We'll see.

So...for a family of 5, if we wanted to have a 1 day park hopper on a peak day, we're looking at $1200? And with Genie+, that's $1325? I could go to Disneyland for 1 day or rent a cabin in the mountains for an entire week...which pretty much means my family will be spending a lot of time in the mountains. I'm assuming they're trying to encourage families to take multi-day trips instead because a 5-day ticket with park hoppers is $2325 (or $2950 with Genie+), which looks a lot more appealing than the day trip cost.

I don't know...I love Disneyland and always will. But I'm just not loving spending my entire paycheck on a trip.
Yeah. Our trip in April checked all the boxes, but the intangible feeling (aka magic) was lacking - that feeling that makes me want to go back. And I've been waiting these last six months to see if that feeling would be rekindled, and honestly for the first time in a long time I just don't feel that it is worth the capital outlay. Everything feels like an ordeal - from reservations, to dining, to experiences, to Genie+, to individual LL. I used to get a thrill from min/maxing the system, but last trip it felt like...work. The extra cost just further takes the wind out of my sails. I think I'm just going to take a break for five years or so and then check back in and see how things are going.

I get that there are lots of people who don't feel that way, and that's fine and good. Enjoy, ride Rise, and have a churro for me! But I think I'm out in the near term.

I used to get a thrill from min/maxing the system, but last trip it felt like...work.
Yep, the old system Fastpass/MaxPass was like a game. I LOVED MaxPass! I felt like it was a challenge problem/puzzle that I solved all day long, moving pieces around and working out the perfect timing. I’ve only been once with Genie +, but you described it well. It felt like work. Lots of work.

Ok, this Halloween trip will be our official last Disney USA vacation. We are coming from Europe once or twice a the year, but the price increases with lower service and downfall of the parks combined with the poor exchange rate from Euro to dollar we have to pay around twice as much as pre Covid. With the higher energy costs and inflation, we can not afford any more trips to Disney US in the future.
Wishing you a great Halloween trip.

We were not planning on buying our park tickets until closer to our trip in May but the difference between the new price on Disneyland’s website and the old price on UT website is $60 per ticket. Safe to say our every other year trips are turning into every 5+ years with these prices.

That's fine to hold that opinion, but that isn't everyone's opinion. I am able to look at what is being offered, which is still a lot for what they are charging.

The value has been and continues to be there for my family.
I love the NFL and I have season tickets for my family of 4. When I sell my tickets, I get $150 per ticket, easily. When I offer my tickets at that price, they will sell in less than 24 hours. I've sold some games for $375 per ticket. I'll sell my parking pass for $100 and people will buy it immediately. People pay top dollar to go to an NFL game that lasts 3 1/2 hours. At least with Disneyland, you can be there all day. That's where I see the value in Disneyland and so does my family. My wife loves it and the kids do too.

I love the NFL and I have season tickets for my family of 4. When I sell my tickets, I get $150 per ticket, easily. When I offer my tickets at that price, they will sell in less than 24 hours. I've sold some games for $375 per ticket. I'll sell my parking pass for $100 and people will buy it immediately. People pay top dollar to go to an NFL game that lasts 3 1/2 hours. At least with Disneyland, you can be there all day. That's where I see the value in Disneyland and so does my family. My wife loves it and the kids do too.

Someone on Reddit priced out cost per hour of Disney vs. movies/concerts/games etc. and it all comes out pretty equal or even better for Disneyland.

DL does not really need defenders - we’re all here because we love the place! But we are allowed to criticize, and we are allowed to feel - and to express - that what we love about it is, at present, offering diminished returns for ever more investment.

The hotels have literally doubled their prices, and only recently gave us back daily housekeeping, plus literally half the on-site early entry perk they used to offer. Ticket prices are up sharply, and yet more people are packed in than ever. A once-free fastpass system that rewarded planning is now a $25 per-person, per-day “add-on” that is - given the aforementioned wall-to-wall hip-to-hip park-packing - now the only way to ride more than 4 rides in a day, and thus an essential. The big entertainment spectacles are diminished, damaged, or canceled altogether. The attractions are poorly maintained and break all the time. Every change in policy seems to make things worse - more money for less magic.

People are going to feel disappointed, or even like suckers for continuing to hope - like Charlie Brown trying one more time to kick that football - that their beloved place will change for the better, and this is a space where we can talk about that.

DL does not really need defenders - we’re all here because we love the place! But we are allowed to criticize, and we are allowed to feel - and to express - that what we love about it is, at present, offering diminished returns for ever more investment.

The hotels have literally doubled their prices, and only recently gave us back daily housekeeping, plus literally half the on-site early entry perk they used to offer. Ticket prices are up sharply, and yet more people are packed in than ever. A once-free fastpass system that rewarded planning is now a $25 per-person, per-day “add-on” that is - given the aforementioned wall-to-wall hip-to-hip park-packing - now the only way to ride more than 4 rides in a day, and thus an essential. The big entertainment spectacles are diminished, damaged, or canceled altogether. The attractions are poorly maintained and break all the time. Every change in policy seems to make things worse - more money for less magic.

People are going to feel disappointed, or even like suckers for continuing to hope - like Charlie Brown trying one more time to kick that football - that their beloved place will change for the better, and this is a space where we can talk about that.

People are also allowed to talk about the things they still find value in and enjoy. Saying any kind of post on topic “is not needed” so not wanted here is really hurtful. I haven’t seen anyone say being disappointed isn’t allowed. Everyone’s on topic posts have value.

Last edited:
People are also allowed to talk about the things they still find value in and enjoy. Saying any kind of post on topic “is not needed” so not wanted here is really hurtful. I haven’t seen anyone say being disappointed isn’t allowed. Everyone’s on topic posts have value.
This.

It's a discussion board, so there is going to be all types of opinions. The opinion that finds these price increases not a big deal are just as valid and okay as those saying that it's highway robbery or that the parks are not premium anymore or have gone downhill. People are at different places in what prices are elastic and which are not, and that is fine but everyone should be able to state their opinion. I am not defending the park in so much that I am stating what is true - the price increases don't really bother me that much, especially not as much as many posts here. We're talking about about a $12 a day increase.

I still find great value in Disneyland for my family of 4. My 6 year old kid is finally tall enough to ride roller coasters and go on Indiana Jones, so our experiences now are different than before. My 2 year old likes Small World and the Circus Train and any other family friendly ride he can get on. We are locals, we we ride only 2-3 rides when we go and then just walk around and enjoy the vibe. I have the Inspire Key that has parking and the rest of my family has the Key right below mine. We go on a weekly basis, sometimes twice a week if I'm off work or it's a holiday that's not blacked out. I compare Disneyland to other forms of entertainment my family and I enjoy. We have Chargers season tickets and I pay $450 PER game to attend (4 seats + parking). That is not including gas to get to LA and any food or merch that I buy. There are 10 games so I pay $4500 per season. I sell some of my tickets and people are willing to pay between $150-$400 per ticket to attend games, depending on the opponent. I can sell my parking for $100 in an instant. Going to an NFL game is far more expensive than Disneyland and people I sell my tickets to don't seem to mind spending the money on football. I also see people buying many $16 dollar beers at the games and not care at all. To me and my family, there is still great value in Disneyland season passes. The cancellation policy is what I am upset about and do not like. I got a "strike" on my Magic Key because we didn't go a couple of weeks ago. My kids were sick when they woke up so we did not go.

I still find great value in Disneyland for my family of 4. My 6 year old kid is finally tall enough to ride roller coasters and go on Indiana Jones, so our experiences now are different than before. My 2 year old likes Small World and the Circus Train and any other family friendly ride he can get on. We are locals, we we ride only 2-3 rides when we go and then just walk around and enjoy the vibe. I have the Inspire Key that has parking and the rest of my family has the Key right below mine. We go on a weekly basis, sometimes twice a week if I'm off work or it's a holiday that's not blacked out. I compare Disneyland to other forms of entertainment my family and I enjoy. We have Chargers season tickets and I pay $450 PER game to attend (4 seats + parking). That is not including gas to get to LA and any food or merch that I buy. There are 10 games so I pay $4500 per season. I sell some of my tickets and people are willing to pay between $150-$400 per ticket to attend games, depending on the opponent. I can sell my parking for $100 in an instant. Going to an NFL game is far more expensive than Disneyland and people I sell my tickets to don't seem to mind spending the money on football. I also see people buying many $16 dollar beers at the games and not care at all. To me and my family, there is still great value in Disneyland season passes. The cancellation policy is what I am upset about and do not like. I got a "strike" on my Magic Key because we didn't go a couple of weeks ago. My kids were sick when they woke up so we did not go.
Very true. The value proposition that Disney offers in comparison with the rest of the entertainment industry is excellent. I fall in the same ideology as you - I get a lot of value out of my visits and am fine with the ride breakdowns and such - it's something to work around but it's not as bad as many people say - it's a normal part of theme park operation in basically every park around the world everywhere. As annoying as it is that the value is lessening compared to what it used to be, it's still very good.

And also for some reason after covid the entire customer service industry kind of got destroyed. And young incoming employees (my generation, like 98% of us) are feeling pretty fed up with low-paying jobs where the employer doesn't really care about how we are treated. It's a weird time to be looking for entry-level jobs, a hard time to be looking for excellent entry-level workers, and an almost impossible time to keep high-quality customer service up and running. Hotels, restaurants, retail stores, your local Starbucks, they are all suffering from the degrading of customer service and increased prices post covid. Disney isn't the only black sheep doing it.

I don't like what Disney is doing (look at my other posts lol) but it's reasonable to look at both sides and not just bait extra likes by being all complainey and stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter