Genie+ park based priced!

I think we must be doing Genie+ with park hopping wrong. We are AP and the times we’ve gotten Genie+ and hopped it’s usually from Hollywood Studios to Epcot. By the time the Studios rides are sold out for the day, the only thing available at Epcot is usually Soarin. I know the difference between the Studios and the multi park is only a few dollars but I just don’t see the point for one ride that has a shorter line at the end of the day anyway. Is everyone else getting a lot of Genie+ rides in their second park? Even if we hop to MK the bigger rides are all filled by then. It seems to make more sense to get the single park when we want it and then utilize the low waits during the end of the day and in extended hours.
I think his some are doing it differently is, throughout the day they are booking attractions in both parks, not waiting until they’re ready to hop to book something at the second park. In your example above, if a guest really wants a Test Track LL they might use the second drop to grab a TT if its return time is after 2 PM.

It’s still not easy though, that’s for sure. It’s analyzing wait times and availability to determine what is best for your family.

So is the $27/day for the Multi-Parks a valid price--or is that a guess at this time? Will that fluctuate too based from Park Attendance, or is that a hard number that won't change?

So is the $27/day for the Multi-Parks a valid price--or is that a guess at this time? Will that fluctuate too based from Park Attendance, or is that a hard number that won't change?
I would assume that like the initial $15 Genie + cost, it'll stay that low for a little while and rarely ever touch $27 again.

They did say that back in Chapek's time.

Maybe getting rid of the parking fees, restarting AP sales, and having some room discounts is as far as Iger's going to go. I mean, I have no idea.

Besides the dollar aspect, I'm unamused by how every time something's changed, a new complication arises.
Iger talked about this his first time as CEO. I used to listen to the earnings calls / shareholder meeting conference calls from about 2012 to 2015 when they were rolling out the MM+ and FP+ systems. The best ROI comes from guests who take around 1.5 trips in their lifetime and stay roughly 5 nights. Anything past that is diminishing ROI which is why they only market to those people when they are having attendance problems.

I got a chuckle when people blamed all of this stuff on Chapek and especially on those that were excited about Iger coming back. All of this is just the result of the corporate earnings driven world of late-stage capitalism that we live in. The purpose of the CEO, board members and really any executives of a publicly traded company is to maximize shareholder value. Making the highest profit possible is literally their fiduciary duty to the company and the shareholders. You could take any executive in any Fortune 500 company, plop them down in the C-suite at Disney and they would do the same thing. It's not the person (Iger, Chapek, whoever...), its the corporate greed that's responsible.

None of these executives care about you or me our "the kids" or really anyone. It's all about the money. Once you understand and accept it, than you can make a value-proposition decision that is best for you and your family. Is it woth it at this price point to go to WDW?

I seen this coming, but not having to pay more to hop, but we never park hop so I guess that's why. I don't think they will rest until it's in the ball park of what Universal charges.

I've agreed to everything you posted but when it comes to this one ^, nope! The deal that @TJA got below is not unheard of.
We've been booking Club Level 2Q for 3 people at Universal without an AP since genie+ broke out of his bottle. Our prices have range from $331per night to current $431 with tax & fees and without an AP. We stay for a solid week during late October.
We've never had to pay OOP for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, desserts or non acholic beverages. Even our 2 park tickets are cheaper.

We are long-time disney fans, but last month went exclusively to Universal. Bought AP's, stayed at Portofino Club Level for $372/night, walked to the parks each day, AND enjoyed express lanes at every single ride except Hagrid's. NO planning at all! It was Amazing! Very relaxing. I used to feel that way about Disney, somewhat, but nowadays it's too much planning, too much confusion, and too much stress trying to get on rides without waiting hours. Hoping when they implement changes in Jan 2024 it will make Disney easier so we can relax and enjoy again.

Honestly, @SL6827 planning a Universal vacation is just that, a vacation.

I've agreed to everything you posted but when it comes to this one ^, nope! The deal that @TJA got below is not unheard of.
We've been booking Club Level 2Q for 3 people at Universal without an AP since genie+ broke out of his bottle. Our prices have range from $331per night to current $431 with tax & fees and without an AP. We stay for a solid week during late October.
We've never had to pay OOP for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, desserts or non acholic beverages. Even our 2 park tickets are cheaper.

Honestly, @SL6827 planning a Universal vacation is just that, a vacation.
So what do you think the ceiling price on Genie+ could go to with Disney?

So what do you think the ceiling price on Genie+ could go to with Disney?
I don't think even Disney knows. Though I do agree it's a fowl money grab on their part. And I don't believe they're trying to line up with any park, Disney has always danced to their own tune.

You use to be able to book Room Only a year in advance - that's gone too but not at Universal.

I don't think even Disney knows. Though I do agree it's a fowl money grab on their part. And I don't believe they're trying to line up with any park, Disney has always danced to their own tune.

You use to be able to book Room Only a year in advance - that's gone too but not at Universal.
What is the average cost of Express Pass during the busy season, if one just buys it and not at a Deluxe resort?

Sample pricing has also been published. It will be cheaper for me across 4 park days in each of the parks with no hoppers.
  • Multiple Parks option will be $27.
  • Magic Kingdom will be $27.
  • Epcot will be $18
  • Disney’s Hollywood Studios will be $24
  • Disney’s Animal Kingdom will be $16.
Disney marketing in action here:

Me reading this list:

"Meh, you don't really need G+ for DAK or EP anyway."
"Oh, but they're only $16/$18 respectively."
"For that price, might as well go for it."

DISNEY!!!! You got me again :P

What is the average cost of Express Pass during the busy season, if one just buys it and not at a Deluxe resort?
As of typing this, unlimited Express pass for both parks is $282 per person per day for Christmas week on Undercovertourist. I've seen it go to $300 for that week. For comparison, I picked a random saturday in September and it's $200.

We've recently discussed this topic on the Disney Gift Card thread
because let's face it, the BS money grab Disney keeps doing takes a toll on our OOP expenses and savings.

Post #17139
I finally got a fall room only AP discount for Wilderness Lodge, standard 2 qn. Surprised it was still available when I called earlier this morning.
I don't know when Disney released Fall discounts but even with that, the price was still $120 per night higher compared to Universal Club Level 2 qn. and that's without an AP.

I'm kicking myself for cancelling that portion of our trip and switching to WDW. If we took Uber/Lyft to WDW for three days it still would have been cheaper than staying there. :mad:

We switched because DH wanted to stay at WL. He's regretting that decision.

Believe you me, I'll be whining for a long time! $120 x 4 nights = $480. I could have put that money to better use!

Last edited:
Please keep this thread on track re: Genie+ changes. Discussions about universal passes are welcome e in the Universal board.

Thanks.

Me reading this list:

Genie+ wasn’t worth it for Epcot back when it was a flat $15 everywhere.

What’s going to happen in Genie when you are managing guests in family sharing and half your guests have PH genie + and the other half as a single park option?

Me reading this list:

That's exactly what this is - a fairly sizable price increase especially considering how fast the cost of this has risen in the past year already. We're already looking at a 100% increase since this was unveiled. They'll spin this as good for consumers but in reality it lowers the price for a product that not many people bought thus affecting a small group and raising the price yet again for a much much larger group.

The prices are getting insane and outpace inflation by orders of magnitude. Family of 4 for 5 days in the park easily has a $1000 price increase just to use Genie+ and a few rides on top of general ticket price increases already.

That's exactly what this is - a fairly sizable price increase especially considering how fast the cost of this has risen in the past year already. We're already looking at a 100% increase since this was unveiled. They'll spin this as good for consumers but in reality it lowers the price for a product that not many people bought thus affecting a small group and raising the price yet again for a much much larger group.

The prices are getting insane and outpace inflation by orders of magnitude. Family of 4 for 5 days in the park easily has a $1000 price increase just to use Genie+ and a few rides on top of general ticket price increases already.
While that's true I will play Devils advocate in that you also don't need to buy it either. When I go to other parks I don't always buy their skip the line pass. I accept that waiting in line is part of going to a theme park

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter