• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Genie Plus - Experiences and Reviews

I just bought California resident tix for this weekend and didn’t add Genie b/c I figured we could add day by day if we wanted it. Most likely we’ll want it all days but we haven’t been in years so I thought I should try it before committing to the other days. Anyway, looks like that was a mistake because it’s actually $30/day to do as an add on?? Can I add it to the tix for $75 now after the fact?

I just bought California resident tix for this weekend and didn’t add Genie b/c I figured we could add day by day if we wanted it. Most likely we’ll want it all days but we haven’t been in years so I thought I should try it before committing to the other days. Anyway, looks like that was a mistake because it’s actually $30/day to do as an add on?? Can I add it to the tix for $75 now after the fact?
Have you tried adding it via the DL app? (you will need an account and to link your tickets to the app once you are logged into your account) The app still shows a $25 per day price and it appears that you can add Genie + each day you want to use it.

Have you tried adding it via the DL app? (you will need an account and to link your tickets to the app once you are logged into your account) The app still shows a $25 per day price and it appears that you can add Genie + each day you want to use it.
Not sure if it was because I was in London yesterday or what, but it was showing the price as $30, then it dropped later to $25. Doesn’t look like I can add ahead of time, so I’ll just have to see what the price is each day.

Does anyone know what the price has been lately? Does it change throughout the day? Seems like a small amount but there are 6 of us each day, the fees are just annoying.

Question! From what I am reading you can modify a LL selection to a dif time AND a dif ride as long as it is within the same park. Is this correct?

Quick report. My daughter and I went to DL for the first time last week. I had a work trip in California and so that's why we went. I'll maybe post a trip report, but I very much like DL over WDW. I had given up on WDW years ago, but I would definitely go back to DL.

We used Genie+ and found it super easy to work with. The crowds were low though because school just started up again so I think that made the use of it easier.

Pros

1. enter the park of choice and immediately see what has the best LL. So easy to plan your ride day off of it.

2. If a ride breaks down not only do you get your next LL but you also get access to tons of rides as a secondary LL. We had daily ride breakdowns and this feature made it more than reasonable. Especially for something like Indiana Jones where you'd enter the park and LL would be 4 hours out, whereas if you got Big Thunder at 30 minutes out and then BT went down, you could then use the exchange LL for Indiana Jones right away while then rebooking maybe something like Space Mountain 30 minutes out. Super cool.

3. Crowds matter. The lower the crowd the more you get out of LL Genie +

4. Dining use was also fairly easy to use and it helped us get last minute reservations to Blue Bayou. Ordering from the phone for pick up was also awesome.

5. Park hopping after 11 was also flexible. We could use LL back adn forth California Adventure and DisneyLand

6. Beyond LL it shows wait times. The wait times were mostly accurate.

Cons
1. the app eats up tons of battery power especially if you have an older phone like I do. I had to buy one of those disposable./exchangeable chargers to keep my phone powered up most of the day. Disney does not have outlets at the parks because the outlets lack surge protection.

2. Running an android. The app crashed daily. Not a huge deal because it was easy to restart, but at least a couple times a day needed to restart it.

3. You really should have your tickets/bar code ready in LL before you enter the line, otherwise you just wait for people who don't know how to use the app.

4. When crowds got big (weekend) it was much harder to get more rides in through the day, but the app still was very valuable. It allowed you to decided to bounce to another park.

5. You can't use LL on paid for rides. I didn't like the idea of paying extra for Rise or the Resistance, but I did it anyway because it was clear the line would take forever and I wanted to really try it. Since it was just 2 of us, I paid the $50 because you could not otherwise get a LL use it was either pay extra or wait 2 hours in line. BTW - Rise of Resistance was not worth it. It was a fun ride, but not worth paying extra for in my opinion. you also often had to pay for Mickey's runaway train. We just did standby for that one since the cue is fun to walk through. I definitely would not pay extra for the Mickey ride even though it's a good ride.

Because DL is so tightly together, Genie + works really well. I don't know it'd work as well at WDW because you can't bounce around parks as easily. But overall super pleased with the use of Genie + and would definitely do it again

Question! From what I am reading you can modify a LL selection to a dif time AND a dif ride as long as it is within the same park. Is this correct?
we were able to bounce park to park after 11:00. Meaning we could cancel a DL LL ride for say Space Mountain because we saw that Incredicoaster was faster to get on. So we were able to do that a couple times. We didn't do it often because it's kind of a long walk, but by our third day we just wanted to redo our favorite rides and so we literally let the Genie+ guide us to our favorites back and forth DL and CA.

You can definitely modify to change times and rides (if available) while keeping your 2-hour time limit from restarting. We modified so many times to get an LL on the books early in the day that we would bump until later in the evening when we wanted to avoid riding standby.

I don't know if there is a park restriction for changing rides if you have a park hopper ticket and it's after 11am -- we didn't try that.

You can definitely modify to change times and rides (if available) while keeping your 2-hour time limit from restarting. We modified so many times to get an LL on the books early in the day that we would bump until later in the evening when we wanted to avoid riding standby.

I don't know if there is a park restriction for changing rides if you have a park hopper ticket and it's after 11am -- we didn't try that.
My trip already passed haha

I can confirm that you can only modify to rides in the same park.

My husband is going to be spending one day at Disneyland in October. We have been to Disneyworld and have two MagicBand+ from our last trip. The issue is, they were assigned to my daughters. Does anyone know if I can still add one of them to my husband's profile in the Disneyland app? Does it matter how they were originally assigned?

My husband is going to be spending one day at Disneyland in October. We have been to Disneyworld and have two MagicBand+ from our last trip. The issue is, they were assigned to my daughters. Does anyone know if I can still add one of them to my husband's profile in the Disneyland app? Does it matter how they were originally assigned?

You should be able to reassign one in the DL app or you may need to re-assign it since they are two different apps.

I’m going with two different people in September and the app is allowing me to reassign the linked bands to new tickets.

I have a question with Magic Key Genie+ with date-based tickets. If I have a MK and then other members of my party have regular day tickets. Am I still able to buy Genie+ with them? I know that I am the only one that gets the discount, but the wording on the website makes it sounds like it will not connect with the other's Genie+

I have a question with Magic Key Genie+ with date-based tickets. If I have a MK and then other members of my party have regular day tickets. Am I still able to buy Genie+ with them? I know that I am the only one that gets the discount, but the wording on the website makes it sounds like it will not connect with the other's Genie+
I’m not a MK holder but when you use Genie+ in the DL app, you can select members of your party to link together in the app, it appears that you can link a single/multi day ticket and MK in the app which would allow you to book Genie+ attractions as a group.

Here now and its my first time using Genie+ at DL. Yesterday I didn't get to the parks until about noon. It was helpful, but not as much as I had hoped. However, today was a different story. I rope dropped DCA today and ended up with 4 multi experience passes before noon. I got 2 more during/after my afternoon break. I was also able to book and use 2 or 3 regular ones.

My one complaint is that both the app and Magic Band+ have been very glitchy here. There have been several times where the app will just freeze and I have to get completely out and restart it. Sometimes more than once before it works normally again.

Questions (dumb, for sure, newbie here, be gentle :) )
1. What the heck is " fishing for MEPs "? I do have genie+ purchased for each single day park, no hop - just doing 2 days (wed, thu)
2. I really don't want to be flustered with panic reading to find out what I should do on the day I get there, we are going to be satisfied with doing main attractions, just once, we have Genie+, do I really need to strategize to the likes of a rocket scientist to just walk in the park and start walking and hitting the rides? I figure we just do normal line for Millennium Falcon or SW:RotR and while in those lines just queue up LL for something and work our way around the park. We are not doing any little kid rides (3 adults). Hitting the big attractions once and we have all day. Anymore more is OK meaning if we have time to do something twice, we will. We also have no dining plans, just quick bites here and there. So, is this strategy going to kill us or will we be fine.
Thanks for asking..... that is exactly us. Doing Disneyland as part of a 3 week California trip but will only be there 2 days (maybe 3) with no park hopper. Even then it's about $600 just for park passes with Genie+. We are just quick service types also, although we 'might' splurge on Blue Bayou since it's a pretty unique restaurant.

No kids and just want to make sure we get the headliners in first then whatever the day unfolds. Can't wait!

I'll maybe post a trip report, but I very much like DL over WDW. I had given up on WDW years ago, but I would definitely go back to DL.

To me, if they had something similar to Epcot at DL I wouldn't bother going to WDW at all.

the app eats up tons of battery power especially if you have an older phone like I do. I had to buy one of those disposable./exchangeable chargers to keep my phone powered up most of the day. Disney does not have outlets at the parks because the outlets lack surge protection.

I used the app the first few years it came out and I would bring an entirely separate phone (MotoG) just for the Disney app since it drained like crazy. Not kidding. It was a pleasant surprise that the newest Google pixels handle it so much better. I didn't even need to charge each day and I'm a couple versions behind the current one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter