• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Genie Plus - Experiences and Reviews

I'm a little confused. I originally purchased 3 day PH tickets through UCT but after so many people recommended to get Genie+, this WDW vet panicked. Long story short - Undercover Tourist provided a full refund on my original PH tickets after I purchased new tickets with PH and Genie+. So, now we have tickets with Genie+ (They are linked to my disneyland account).

My confusion comes in here - on my main page on the DL app, it tells me to buy Genie+. I already did (See a screenshot of my ticket order in the app). Will I need to "purchase" it on my first park day? Or, will it automatically appear on my app? Does anyone else have this issue? lol.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused. I originally purchased 3 day PH tickets through UCT but after so many people recommended to get Genie+, this WDW vet panicked. Long story short - Undercover Tourist provided a full refund on my original PH tickets after I purchased new tickets with PH and Genie+. So, now we have tickets with Genie+ (They are linked to my disneyland account).

My confusion comes in here - on my main page on the DL app, it tells me to buy Genie+. I already did (See a screenshot of my ticket order in the app). Will I need to "purchase" it on my first park day? Or, will it automatically appear on my app? Does anyone else have this issue? lol.

There's another thread somewhere on here that says the app still "offers" you Genie+ even after you purchase it.

I believe it appears on your app when you enter the park.

Question about buying a one day ticket. I am looking to buy a one day ticket for Saturday, October 21st. When I choose single park, it lets me add G+ as an option at check out. If I select 1 day park hopper, it does not give me an option to add G+. Any ideas on this?

Question about buying a one day ticket. I am looking to buy a one day ticket for Saturday, October 21st. When I choose single park, it lets me add G+ as an option at check out. If I select 1 day park hopper, it does not give me an option to add G+. Any ideas on this?

I tested it and Genie+ is offered after you choose your date and starting park and press continue.

That is so strange. Are you located outside the US currently?

I tested it with 10+ and <9 and different starting parks and they all let me see it. Even with an incognito window. The only thing I can think of is your IP address might be causing some strangeness if you went through the below steps and it's still not there:

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/admission/tickets/
Choose 1 day
Ages 10+
Park Hopper
Continue
October 21st
Disneyland Park
Continue

You should see Genie+ on the current screen.

That is so strange. Are you located outside the US currently?

I tested it with 10+ and <9 and different starting parks and they all let me see it. Even with an incognito window. The only thing I can think of is your IP address might be causing some strangeness if you went through the below steps and it's still not there:

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/admission/tickets/
Choose 1 day
Ages 10+
Park Hopper
Continue
October 21st
Disneyland Park
Continue

You should see Genie+ on the current screen.
Not outside of the country. Trying to order tickets from Texas.

I may try clearing my cache and see if that works.

Hi all, going to DL and DCA in Dec. Using genie+ for the first time. Do I understand stacking LL's correctly? If I plan on using standby for the first 2 hours after rope-drop. Can I make a LL reservation for later in the evening, say 5pm then do 2 hours of standby and have the evening LL banked. Then use up the rest of my LL allotments throughout the day and at 5pm use that reservation? Am I wrong, or is there a better way?
Thx

Hi all, going to DL and DCA in Dec. Using genie+ for the first time. Do I understand stacking LL's correctly? If I plan on using standby for the first 2 hours after rope-drop. Can I make a LL reservation for later in the evening, say 5pm then do 2 hours of standby and have the evening LL banked. Then use up the rest of my LL allotments throughout the day and at 5pm use that reservation? Am I wrong, or is there a better way?
Thx
Not really. The LL's go in order. For you to try to set a first time LL in the evening means you'd likely miss out on a ton of LLs earlier in the day.

You make LLs throughout the day into the evening, but Disney gives you the time of arrival. So you want to assume you will get a LL as soon as you enter the park. That LL might be 15 minutes out to 2 hours later from the time you book it, but then once you are done with that LL you immediately book another one. You would likely book it while standing in line for the LL you just entered. As popular rides book up throughout the day the LL time of arrival gets pushed back later into the day until they run out.

Bottom line - you will want to do both LL and standby throughout the day and let Genie+ help you in terms of where you want to go for the rides and what time.

Not really. The LL's go in order. For you to try to set a first time LL in the evening means you'd likely miss out on a ton of LLs earlier in the day.

You make LLs throughout the day into the evening, but Disney gives you the time of arrival. So you want to assume you will get a LL as soon as you enter the park. That LL might be 15 minutes out to 2 hours later from the time you book it, but then once you are done with that LL you immediately book another one. You would likely book it while standing in line for the LL you just entered. As popular rides book up throughout the day the LL time of arrival gets pushed back later into the day until they run out.

Bottom line - you will want to do both LL and standby throughout the day and let Genie+ help you in terms of where you want to go for the rides and what time.
I was under the impression, based on the rules on the Disney website, that you can book another Lightening Lane two hours after you booked your original one (even if you haven't used your original one yet). From the Disneyland website: "You'll be eligible to make your next selection after your currently selected arrival window has either ended or been redeemed. You’re also eligible to make another selection if you’re currently holding on to a selection that has an arrival window that’s more than 2 hours from the time the selection was made." So, for example, if I book a LL at 8:15 AM to ride Haunted Mansion at 5:00 PM, at 10:15 AM I will be eligible to book another LL.

Does that seem right? Hoping to get clarification because we arrive in a few days and the wait times have been crazy, and it seems for some of the more popular rides, LL slots for the day are sometimes gone by noon o_O

I was under the impression, based on the rules on the Disney website, that you can book another Lightening Lane two hours after you booked your original one (even if you haven't used your original one yet). From the Disneyland website: "You'll be eligible to make your next selection after your currently selected arrival window has either ended or been redeemed. You’re also eligible to make another selection if you’re currently holding on to a selection that has an arrival window that’s more than 2 hours from the time the selection was made." So, for example, if I book a LL at 8:15 AM to ride Haunted Mansion at 5:00 PM, at 10:15 AM I will be eligible to book another LL.

Does that seem right? Hoping to get clarification because we arrive in a few days and the wait times have been crazy, and it seems for some of the more popular rides, LL slots for the day are sometimes gone by noon o_O
yes you are correct. If your current LL return time is more than 2 hours later, then after 2 hours you can book another one. The new one may have an earlier time depending on the demand on that ride. So, that way you have "stacked" one for later in the day. Do this as many times as you can using the 2 hour rule.
But personally I would get the next one available for a ride I want. As was stated, they get later in the day as the day progresses.

You are right that after 2 hours you can book another one, the issue is that you can't select your time. So if you try and book Haunted Mansion at 8am, you will likely be offered a time that is in the morning. If you wait until 5pm times are offered you will have missed out on booking other rides during that wait. If you hold off and book ones that you want to ride now, then when you have riden them and the HM return time is showing around 5pm you could book that.
Or you could book an earlier time for HM and then keep modifying it (before the return time expires, I think) to get to the time you want as the day goes on, you will still wait two hours after the first booking time to then be able to book another.
Hope that makes sense!

Do you still need to enter one of the parks in order to start booking Genie+ LL? Also, if purchasing multi-day tickets, are you required to purchase Genie+ for all days or can you add as you use days?

Do you still need to enter one of the parks in order to start booking Genie+ LL?
Yes

Also, if purchasing multi-day tickets, are you required to purchase Genie+ for all days or can you add as you use days?
You can buy Genie+ for all days at once ahead of time at a fixed price or you can buy without and add one day at a time on the day you visit the parks at a variable price.

Yes

You can buy Genie+ for all days at once ahead of time at a fixed price or you can buy without and add one day at a time on the day you visit the parks at a variable price.
Keep in mind that they do sell out of G+ some days, including today and yesterday, for example. It is pretty nuts here right now!

Keep in mind that they do sell out of G+ some days, including today and yesterday, for example. It is pretty nuts here right now!
I was at DCA on Saturday and DLP on Sunday and can concur! G+ sold out on both days before 11am. DS and I went in close to opening and bought G+ right away. By the time DH and DD came in they were already sold out. Guest Services at Pixar Pier manually added them for me for $24 pp and Main Street comped them (after some begging to please override and let us buy them). Hope it’s not this busy for HM weekend!

I went ahead and just added when purchasing tickets we plan to use Christmas and New Year weeks. I know it will be crazy so one less thing to worry about. I am just hoping that they don’t oversell G+ those weeks.

I went ahead and just added when purchasing tickets we plan to use Christmas and New Year weeks. I know it will be crazy so one less thing to worry about. I am just hoping that they don’t oversell G+ those weeks.

I feel bad for guests whose partners convince them to skip it because they don't want to pay the extra $25. It makes such a massive difference these days, that unless you're not a ride person or it's a slow day, it can really impact your trip.

DH is a "let's not pay for extras" person, but at the end of our visit he turned to me and was like, "That made such a difference, it's crazy."

I think of Genie+ like magic insurance, it makes sure we have a magical trip.

I'm trying to do the Disney math in my head and wanted to get input/corrections:

This is what we used G+ for in DCA (Saturday) and DLP (Sunday) for family of 4:

DCA:
Soarin' (2 ppl as not everyone wanted to go early) - standby was 50 min at time of entry
Incredicoaster (4 ppl) - standby was 55 min at time of entry
GotG After Dark (4 ppl) - standbby 90 min
Monsters Inc. (4 ppl) - standby 50 min

245 minutes * 2 + 195 min *2 = 880 min saved / $120 (really was $108 see above post, but I would have paid full price)

$8.18 per person per hour saved

DLP:
MEP from Roger Rabbit used for Star Tours * 2 - 50 min
Indiana Jones *4 - 90 min
BTMR *4 - 45 min
Buzz *4 - 45 min

230 minutes * 2 + 180 minutes *2 = 820 minutes saved /120

$8.78 per person per hour saved

TRIGGER WARNING ******RANT AHEAD****** Don't read if you have better things to do ******
(I warned you)

Yes, I will continue to go to Disney Parks because it's a nice break and splurge for me, but I don't get the warm & fuzzies nor am I as loyal as I used to be.

1) When I was growing up, going to a Disney Park was much more expensive for my family as a % of our income, but we went every 5 years or so and at the end of the trip, we always left wanting more. We marveled at the enthusiasm of the CMs and how smoothly the operations ran.

2) When I was in school they always held Disney and Nordstrom as customer service-centric companies: excellence in customer service = perceived value = improved profitability

3) When I was a CM when FastPasses were introduced the focus was on the customer experience - less waiting in lines = more time spent on food and shopping = more opportunity for DIS to capture spend per hour with improved customer satistfaction

This is the crux of my question - is the high customer experience business model dead? More and more I feel like my time at Disney is being monetized. It's not about how much value I get from buying a ticket to have a nice outing at the park with my family (that's just the entry fee) but about how much value Disney can extract from me once I'm through the gates for the opportunity cost of standing in line.

Thanks for reading. I know Disney doesn't care what I think. It's just that I'm sad/nostalgic that the value of the brand has been diluted and this tipping point will have greater consequences for the company in the long run.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter