Genie plus is what exactly?

Minuet888

DIS Veteran
So even though my son uses a DAS some people said it might be helpful to purchase genie plus as well, but it is.........confusing? Is it a fastpass for all the rides? SOme of the rides? Not a fast pass at all?
How do I even purchase it?
I am going DIsney CA ADventure on the 22nd of March and DIsneyland on the 23rd and 24th.
Help? Please and thank you

I can‘t help how Genie+ and DAS work together, but thought perhaps if you change your thread title you will get more specific advice.

I am just following because I haven't been to Disney since Magic Bands and am confused as well.

Genie Plus is like Fastpasa, yes. DAS is not like Fastpass. DAS uses the same like as Genie+ when you return, but with DAS you first have to wait the time of the standby line. You don't have to do that with Genie+. Genie+ return times are available sometimes immediately.

Do you know NOTHING about Genie+? If that's the case, find the FAQ thread about it here.

We have used Genie+ with DAS. They work well together. Biggest benefit is being able to ride a favorite twice. With Genie, you can only ride each ride once using the Lightning Lane. But you can still get a DAS for a ride you have a Genie+ return time for if you want.

I'd recommend looking at the list of Genie+ attractions to see if your child will ride enough of those to make it worth it. IMO, it's worth it for a short trip. You'll get at least twice as many rides in as you will without it.

@Minuet888 Do you remember/did you ever use MaxPass? Genie+ is similiar to that. You pay extra, you can book the ride ahead of time, you get to wait in a shorter line when you return, but (and this part is new) you can only use it once for each ride. Also, it includes PhotoPass.

For more detailed information check one of the FAQ threads devoted to Genie+

I have the same question. I haven’t been to DLR or DCA in 15+ years. My last trip to WDW was when they had paper fast passes. The stickies are not helpful enough for a brand newbie. I’m referring to the one titled “Genie + experiences and reviews” and “Disney Genie is now live…”. Am I looking in the wrong place? I will have Genie + for two adults and two teens for two days. The teens will probably be doing their own thing. They will have the app. I have the app and have loaded our tickets and park reservations. My questions are:

1. What is a multi experience? I’ve seen the initials MEP. What does this mean? How do you get one? How do you use it?

2. I’ve seen “fishing” for lightning lanes mentioned. What does this mean?

3. It’s my understanding that scan your app to enter the LL (lightening lane). Then you can immediately get another LL pass. But you can only have two passes active (waiting to be used) at a time. Is that right?

4. Is it true that you can only get a LL for a specific ride once per day? Meaning: you can only get one LL per day for Space Mountain. You can’t ride using a LL, then immediately get another LL for the same ride? If you want to ride twice, you wait in standby for the second ride.

If someone can please break this down, with explanations for any initials, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have the same question. I haven’t been to DLR or DCA in 15+ years. My last trip to WDW was when they had paper fast passes. The stickies are not helpful enough for a brand newbie. I’m referring to the one titled “Genie + experiences and reviews” and “Disney Genie is now live…”. Am I looking in the wrong place? I will have Genie + for two adults and two teens for two days. The teens will probably be doing their own thing. They will have the app. I have the app and have loaded our tickets and park reservations. My questions are:

1. What is a multi experience? I’ve seen the initials MEP. What does this mean? How do you get one? How do you use it?

2. I’ve seen “fishing” for lightning lanes mentioned. What does this mean?

3. It’s my understanding that scan your app to enter the LL (lightening lane). Then you can immediately get another LL pass. But you can only have two passes active (waiting to be used) at a time. Is that right?

4. Is it true that you can only get a LL for a specific ride once per day? Meaning: you can only get one LL per day for Space Mountain. You can’t ride using a LL, then immediately get another LL for the same ride? If you want to ride twice, you wait in standby for the second ride.

If someone can please break this down, with explanations for any initials, it would be greatly appreciated.
The original poster was specifically asking about Genie+ (G+) and the disability access system (DAS). I can answer your G+ questions. Also google Disney tourist blog by Tom Bricker and search for his post on G+. He walks you through with screenshots so if you are a visual learner like me it’s helpful.

1. A multi experience pass, or MEP is what you receive if the ride you have booked a lightning lane (LL formerly known as fast pass) goes down during your return window. It is good for that ride and others, depending on the “tier” of the original LL.

2. I would not recommend fishing for MEP LL for a G+ newbie. It takes considerable phone time and just isn’t worth it. I see too many people thinking G+ is a fast pass to every ride. I see it as similar to WDW old Fastpass system where it is my top 3 guarantee, and anything else is a bonus!

3. That is incorrect. You can hold multiple LL at any given time. ( ie: I have held 4 at a time recently.) You are only subject to the booking window “rules” - you can book a new LL when either of the following is met: a) you tap into your LL or b) 2 hours has passed since you booked your LL. So, for example if at 8am you booked a space mountain LL for 11:00, you can book your next LL at 10:00 (2 hrs since booking.) in the former case, if at 8am you booked a space mountain LL for 8:30, as soon as you scan into space you could book your next one. The clock then resets to 2 hrs or when you use your LL.

4. That is correct, and is my one complaint. If you want to ride a ride twice my suggestion is to do standby when wait times are low such as in the morning, or do single rider (if available at that ride) and use your LL during a busier time of day.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much, chezcurrie! The last time we went to WDW (probably 2014ish), there were several adults in our group. We ran around gathering paper fast passes to the rides. I guess times have changed, but I think my husband will appreciate not having to make the run across the park!

The original poster was specifically asking about Genie+ (G+) and the disability access system (DAS). I can answer your G+ questions. Also google Disney tourist blog by Tom Bricker and search for his post on G+. He walks you through with screenshots so if you are a visual learner like me it’s helpful.

1. A multi experience pass, or MEP is what you receive if the ride you have booked a lightning lane (LL formerly known as fast pass) goes down during your return window. It is good for that ride and others, depending on the “tier” of the original LL.

2. I would not recommend fishing for MEP LL for a G+ newbie. It takes considerable phone time and just isn’t worth it. I see too many people thinking G+ is a fast pass to every ride. I see it as similar to WDW old Fastpass system where it is my top 3 guarantee, and anything else is a bonus!

3. That is incorrect. You can hold multiple LL at any given time. ( ie: I have held 4 at a time recently.) You are only subject to the booking window “rules” - you can book a new LL when either of the following is met: a) you tap into your LL or b) 2 hours has passed since you booked your LL. So, for example if at 8am you booked a space mountain LL for 11:00, you can book your next LL at 10:00 (2 hrs since booking.) in the former case, if at 8am you booked a space mountain LL for 8:30, as soon as you scan into space you could book your next one. The clock then resets to 2 hrs or when you use your LL.

4. That is correct, and is my one complaint. If you want to ride a ride twice my suggestion is to do standby when wait times are low such as in the morning, or do single rider (if available at that ride) and use your LL during a busier time of day.

Hope this helps!
Actually I was asking about Genie + my son just happens to have a DAS as well but someone recommended getting genie + as well.
Genie + seems really confusing. I understand it is only for certain rides and basically acts like the old fastpasses do and it runs through the app.

Are only so many genie + sold per day? If I bought my genie + on the day I got there would it be too late?
Can I arrange times ahead of time or only once I get into the park.
I went to the app and tried to purchase genie + for my day but it wouldn't let me? Kept telling me to link my tickets? How do I link my tickets? It kept telling me to scan something but I bought my tickets online what and how do I scan?

We used DAS and Genie+ at the same time. My daughter is the DAS holder and was only 3 so she couldn’t go on a lot of bigger rides, so we used the DAS for what she could ride and used Genie+ for the rides she couldn’t do. It was very helpful that way, but I was on my phone the entire time and it was difficult to keep up with both of them at the same time.

Actually I was asking about Genie + my son just happens to have a DAS as well but someone recommended getting genie + as well.
Genie + seems really confusing. I understand it is only for certain rides and basically acts like the old fastpasses do and it runs through the app.

Are only so many genie + sold per day? If I bought my genie + on the day I got there would it be too late?
I went to the app and tried to purchase genie + for my day but it wouldn't let me? Kept telling me to link my tickets? How do I link my tickets? It kept telling me to scan something but I bought my tickets online what and how do I scan?
You may find the FAQ on the DLR site/app helpful. It answers all of these questions and more. It really isn't confusing.
Genie+ can only be purchased when you buy your tickets or same day after you enter the park.

Yes, there is a limit to how many Genie+ they sell per day. However, I believe the only days it has ever sold out were during Christmas week. So, you should be able to buy it after getting to the park. Unless you bought tickets that included Genie+, and I surmise you didn't, you cannot buy it before you enter the park that day. Even if you had bought tickets that included Genie+, you cannot reserve your first Genie+ LL reservation before you enter the park that day.

Here's a link to a website that explains how to scan your tickets into the app: https://www.undercovertourist.com/blog/disneyland-app/

Provost Park Pass just did an overview video on Genie+ which I found helpful. He also discussed MEPs.

Provost Park Pass just did an overview video on Genie+ which I found helpful. He also discussed MEPs.

This video contains some mistakes. Ones I noticed are that it misstates the price range for the ILLs for RS Racers and Rise (while showing onscreen screenshots that show higher prices!) and says that MEPs are good for everything but Rise, Cars (? perhaps he means RSR?), WebSlingers and Peter Pan. Well, maybe there are some rides that, if down, will give you a MEP good for all those (although I doubt they include MMRR), but for many attractions your MEP will be more limited. In late January, when I got MEPs because IncrediCoaster was down, I made a note of what rides the MEP was not good for. Those were Indy, Matterhorn, MMRR, Peter Pan, Space Mt., Rise, Guardians, RSR, TSMM and WebSlingers.

what is MEP

Multi-Experience Pass. You can use it on different rides. If you have a Lightening Lane for Pirates and it breaks down, you will be an issued an MEP in the app, which you can use to scan into another ride bypassing the stand-by line.

what is MEP?
As others have said, it is a multiple experience pass that is given if your ride goes down during your LL return time. I can not stress this enough, but if you are *not* familiar with Genie+ I would not recommend trying to intentionally get MEPs. It adds another layer of complexity to what is already confusing to many. Focus on your priority rides with G+ and enjoy your day.

Apologies for misunderstanding. The real benefit to G+ In addition to DAS, from what I understand, would be the ability to re-ride without doing standby. So you could use your DAS for Space *and* a LL through G+, as an example.

You are correct that G+ is not good for all rides (example: Fantasyland rides, Pirates, Jungle Book), but it is valid on the majority of them. The rides I mentioned do not have a separate LL line as they don’t have the queue space due to when or where they were built.

As PP said, you can buy G+ day of, and only for certain days of your trip (ie you don’t have to buy it for everyday at once.) Once you scan into the park you purchase G+ on the app and then can immediately begin booking your LL with G+.

You should be able to link your tickets to the Disneyland app now. So from the “home page” you click on the hamburger in the bottom right, choose Tickets and Passes in the top left, then the Link Tickets & Passes barcode that is on the top right. You then either scan the barcode using your Camera or enter the ticket number via the Type ID option at the top of the screen. Hope this helps.

Apologies for misunderstanding. The real benefit to G+ In addition to DAS, from what I understand, would be the ability to re-ride without doing standby. So you could use your DAS for Space *and* a LL through G+, as an example.

You are correct that G+ is not good for all rides (example: Fantasyland rides, Pirates, Jungle Book), but it is valid on the majority of them. The rides I mentioned do not have a separate LL line as they don’t have the queue space due to when or where they were built.

As PP said, you can buy G+ day of, and only for certain days of your trip (ie you don’t have to buy it for everyday at once.) Once you scan into the park you purchase G+ on the app and then can immediately begin booking your LL with G+.

You should be able to link your tickets to the Disneyland app now. So from the “home page” you click on the hamburger in the bottom right, choose Tickets and Passes in the top left, then the Link Tickets & Passes barcode that is on the top right. You then either scan the barcode using your Camera or enter the ticket number via the Type ID option at the top of the screen. Hope this helps.
Where do I see the barcode or the ID number? My app says I hav tickets and reservations but I don't see a barcode or id number

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter