Genie+ won't allow re-rides?

AMartin767

Earning My Ears
According to a new report over at Disney Food Blog, Genie+ is only going to allow each Lightning Lane ride to be ridden 1 time as part of the service. In other words, if you want to ride BTM more than once, one can be LL but the other will have to be Standby.

if you want to ride BTM more than once, one can be LL but the other will have to be Standby.

Wait, what? I am not understanding. My understanding is that you get up to 2 lightning lane purchases per person per day (as an add on purchase). Are you saying that you just can't make them both the same ride? That would make some sense and would be fine with me. If you only get 2, it makes sense to use them at different rides (at least for me).

But if you are you saying that you cant select the same ride more than once in our Genie+ selections throughout the day, that wouldn't make sense at all. Can you please clarify the policy?

Wait, what? I am not understanding. My understanding is that you get up to 2 lightning lane purchases per person per day (as an add on purchase). Are you saying that you just can't make them both the same ride? That would make some sense and would be fine with me. If you only get 2, it makes sense to use them at different rides (at least for me).

But if you are you saying that you cant select the same ride more than once in our Genie+ selections throughout the day, that wouldn't make sense at all. Can you please clarify the policy?

Your second line is correct based on the information available now. This is subject to change, but this appears to be correct at this time.

ETA: I agree that it's a bummer.

There's nothing official yet but some sources that appear to have inside knowledge - Genie+ will only allow you to ride eligible rides 1 time each per day. This is not the Individual Attraction Selection (IA$) rides for which you pay per person per ride. Those were already defined as being limited to 2 per day and no repeats of the same ride. Genie + being the $15 per day add on would include numerous other attraction (not eligible for IA$) that would allow access to the Lightening Lanes. Most had presumed that as long as G+ had ride availability that you could reride rides that you wanted to, but this word seems to be that you can only use G+ per ride one time per day. So, I can't use it to ride Haunted Mansion more than once per day. I could use it once and then if I want to ride again, I'd have to use standby.

Which IMO makes it far less desirable. I'd already decided I'd likely only consider it for MK and DHS, but with this news, I'm not sure I'd bother with it at all.

Info below are all based on rumors mixed with official announcements. Hopefully this can clarify the concepts as the questions was mixxing the two subjects together.

There's two programs: G+ and IA$.

G+ is a fixed per person per day fee ($15/$20) and you can select one at a time and you cannot use G+ to re-ride BTMRR via LLs.

IA$ on the other hand is for purchasing a LL pass for one the 2 selected rides at each park that are not included under G+. Those rides are paid for on a per person per ride basis ($4-$24) and you can buy up to 2 IA$' per day per park ticket. Disney and associated bloggers have not said whether or not you can purchase the same ride twice or not yet.

It stinks, no two ways about it. All AP holders who are use to the old system(no park passes, FP+) have to rethink how the visit the parks entirely. However, only allowing one G+ LL per ride, per day, may keep the lines near walk-ons for must rides. Thats a benefit for sure. Time will tell.

My recollection is that is not how Maxpass worked (which this is purportedly modeled after). I wonder how the folks in CA feel about this. I think it's ridiculous. A lot of people try to get the rides they want as early as possible, because that opens the opportunity to potentially get the same ride later in the day. So basically, Disney is encouraging long afternoon lines. Everyone will have used their "one" ride early in the day. Seems like they are encouraging afternoon/evening massive lines.

It stinks, no two ways about it. All AP holders who are use to the old system(no park passes, FP+) have to rethink how the visit the parks entirely. However, only allowing one G+ LL per ride, per day, may keep the lines near walk-ons for must rides. Thats a benefit for sure. Time will tell.

Near walk-on during a busy park time seems unlikely. I know we visited in February when there were no FP+ at all, other than VIP tours, DAS etc., and the lines were most definitely not walk-on. We routinely waited 30-60 minutes+ for most rides once we were past the first couple hours of park opening.

Near walk-on during a busy park time seems unlikely. I know we visited in February when there were no FP+ at all, other than VIP tours, DAS etc., and the lines were most definitely not walk-on. We routinely waited 30-60 minutes+ for most rides once we were past the first couple hours of park opening.

Near walk ons of the G+ LL I mean. Thereby somewhat validating its cost. I think we have been in 30+ minute FP+ lines before. I think this will actually make standby lines much worse.

Near walk ons of the G+ LL I mean. Thereby somewhat validating its cost. I think we have been in 30+ minute FP+ lines before. I think this will actually make standby lines much worse.
Ah, got ya. Yes, I'd agree on that as well. I suppose that's a benefit, you are right. Still not sure it's worth $15 pp per day. Luckily I'm not traveling until January, so I'm hoping it goes live sometime before that and I get a chance to learn from other Dissers on whether or not it has value.

Of course it will, it will be sold in unlimited numbers. One of their major issues will be masses of complaints I bet, that people paid for ‘lightning’ as in lightning fast, and it’s anything but. Allowing people to re ride would only add to the problem.

My recollection is that is not how Maxpass worked (which this is purportedly modeled after). I wonder how the folks in CA feel about this. I think it's ridiculous. A lot of people try to get the rides they want as early as possible, because that opens the opportunity to potentially get the same ride later in the day. So basically, Disney is encouraging long afternoon lines. Everyone will have used their "one" ride early in the day. Seems like they are encouraging afternoon/evening massive lines.

It's not how Maxpass worked, no. We could keep pulling for the same ride every time we if we wanted. So now we go from having the option for Maxpass OR legacy FP (which had the same pool to pull from but was free!) and being allowed to use it on whatever rides we wanted, to ONLY having the paid option AND not being able to re-ride the same ride more than once without waiting in the SB line, no matter how many LL slots are still available? Yeah, we hate this.

(But not as much as we hate the limits on AP/key-holders reservations. Not only is there NOT an exemption from the reservation number limit for nights spent on-property, but they're capping the key-holder reservations on weekends so that almost no one can get in! So the anger out here over Genie+ is a secondary issue to the inability to get into the park in the first place.)

It's not how MaxPass worked. I think the layer that they have to address this issue is the free Genie portion. If they can traffic-shape those who have G or G+ they can move crowds around by telling them to wait and ride XYZ for shorter lines and I think the general public may follow along if they believe it will lower wait times overall for their trip.

The whole genie + concept is snake oil…these guys are so busy trying to figure out how to skin a cat.

you have X amount of rides with X amount of capacity…there are only a handful of options to truly fix the wait line problem.

1. Add more rides and attractions, while keeping reservation numbers low
2. Increase park ticket prices and lower attendance numbers

this whole “optimization” app and cramming high volumes of people through the same fixed value capacity rides is a band aid fix. There simply aren’t enough attractions and rides to keep people busy for a full 10-12 hour day without making them wait.

hope I’m wrong

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter