George Zimmerman is in police custody

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a press conference at 6pm? The prosecutor was supposed to announces some new evidence.

It was just announced on CNN. He is going to be charged. They haven't announced what he'll be charged with yet.
I saw on another website that he is going to be charged with second degree murder. I guess we'll find out for sure in a little while.

This is all the family ever wanted - a trial where all the facts could be presented.

yup second degree. I had been thinking it'd be manslaughter.
Me too. I hope a jury would have the option to vote for manslaughter, because if the prosecutor swings for the fence on murder and comes up short there might be an acquittal. In the reading I've done, an "imperfect self-defense" is often deemed as involuntary manslaughter... but I don't know the particulars of Florida law.

This is all the family ever wanted - a trial where all the facts could be presented.
I think you're stopping a bit short there... I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the family will also want nothing less than a conviction too.

I saw on another website that he is going to be charged with second degree murder. I guess we'll find out for sure in a little while.

:worship: This is what all America should want. Whether he is found gulity or innocent is another thing. But, at least charge him, do a full investigation and present a case in court.

I thought it'd be manslaughter as well. Hope they tack manslaughter on as well in case another Florida jury decides there juuuuuuuuust isn't enough for Murder 2.

yup second degree. I had been thinking it'd be manslaughter.

It's probably not manslaughter because when he called 911 he was very deliberately asked if he was following Trayvon and told NOT to follow him. The moment he went against what dispatch told him, he went outside of the law - with gun in hand, so to speak, and there is now considered some premeditation to his actions.

Also, one can shoot a gun 10 - 20 feet away with some accuracy. He got close enough to get into a physical scuffle, so he said. He could have stopped approaching at any time IF his intent was simply to hold Trayvon in place until the police arrived. He deliberately escalated & got into an altercation with Trayvon.

It's probably not manslaughter because when he called 911 he was very deliberately asked if he was following Trayvon and told NOT to follow him. The moment he went against what dispatch told him, he went outside of the law - with gun in hand, and there was some premeditation to his actions.

Where did you hear or read that he followed him with gun in hand?

But having a gun on him is very different than following him "gun in hand".

Sorry, I sort of meant that figuratively, I should have added, "so to speak." I may go back & edit what I wrote. He loaded a gun that day, walked outside with it. He knew he had it when he decided NOT to listen to the orders of dispatch telling him not to follow Trayvon Martin. He knew he could use it. He followed him with it, whether it was actually 'in hand,' at his hip or at his back. The procesutors MAY say there was no difference whether he had it in hand or at his hip which is why thy are going for 2nd degree murder.

I am glad there will be a trial where evidence will be presented. I feel no matter what in this case people have already made up their minds. I feel if he is found guilty there is still people that would think he was not and the same for the other side.

For the record, Florida defines 2nd degree murder as:
The unlawful killing of a human being, when perpetrated by any act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design to effect the death of any particular individual,
It sounds like the central argument will be over whether Zimmerman's approaching (if that's what happened) of Martin, against the advice of the dispatcher, was an "imminently dangerous" act by a "depraved" mind. In another words, would it be reasonable to believe that it would be likely necessary to kill someone if you approached them in that situation.

I am glad there will be a trial where evidence will be presented. I feel no matter what in this case people have already made up their minds. I feel if he is found guilty there is still people that would think he was not and the same for the other side.

Isn't that generally the way it is with any high profile case? Everyone has their opinion and you just won't please everyone. All I want is a fair trial. I do believe Zimmerman is guilty of, at minimum, reckless endangerment. I hope the jury is given other charges besides 2nd degree murder and I hope they are smart enough to understand those other options. I don't want to see another Casey Anthony circus.

For the record, Florida defines 2nd degree murder as:It sounds like the central argument will be over whether Zimmerman's approaching (if that's what happened) of Martin, against the advice of the dispatcher, was an "imminently dangerous" act. In another words, would it be reasonable to believe that it would be likely necessary to kill someone if you approached them in that situation.

Great research. It clarifies a lot. :thumbsup2

Isn't that generally the way it is with any high profile case? Everyone has their opinion and you just won't please everyone. All I want is a fair trial. I do believe Zimmerman is guilty of, at minimum, reckless endangerment. I hope the jury is given other charges besides 2nd degree murder and I hope they are smart enough to understand those other options. I don't want to see another Casey Anthony circus.

Your right , I dont want to see another Casey Anthony issue. Just when most people thought there would be a conviction and it went the opposite way. Was the gun he had concealed? I cant remember, I thought they talked about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter