Germany Trip 2009

Amy H

Earning My Ears
Is anyone going on the Germany trip in early August? I have a 6 and 9 year old going with me.

We are going August 10th- bummer my son is 9! :mad: I wish we were on the same dates! Have fun!:yay:

That is a bummer! We have done 2 other ABD trips and our boys have really enjoyed travelling with other kids. The kids have always managed to set up kids tables for dinners by the 2nd night! Hope you guys have a great time. :)

Given all the cancelations, I am surprised there are depatures 3 days apart for this trip.

What other trips did you do with your boys? This is our 1st time with ABD but I am already looking for another adventure.

We did Spain in 2007 and Flavors of France last summer and really enjoyed both trips. We were a little frustrated with the France trip because there was very little time on your own in Provence, but the days were filled with great things. it is just so beautiful there the frustration was mostly that we wished we had an extra week there to explore. We had a much bigger group for our France trip and it was more fun. I assume we will both have large groups for the Germany trips otherwise they would have consolidated the two departures. I wish there were more reviews of the Germany trip posted!

Have you seen the report from lkueffer. I haven't seen too many reports on Germany either. I really hope we have a good group. My travel agent tells me that there are 10 children total in our group. Like I said this is our 1st trip with ABD and I booked because I was hoping for other children for my kids to hang out with! I am surprised too that there are 2 trips so close together! Are you leaving a day or two before your trip starts? What are you planning to do if you are going early?

Thanks! I hadn't seen that. It looks like a great trip. We are flying in one day early and leaving a day later. I haven't figured out what we will do yet but I know when we did the France tripwe were really happy to have the extra time.

Thought I'd bring this one back up to the top to see if anyone has joined this board that is planning on the Christmas Market Germany trip (a new addition to the Germany trips). We heard from ABD that they are still working on the itinerary for this trip (a Disney rep will call each of the families signed up to provide the details--not sure when, but I would guess 60 days out). It'll be interesting to see what they plan for Christmas Day, what "Christmas Markets" will be visited (which all end before Christmas, apparently), and how the outdoor activities will be changed due to the colder weather. Any insight from those who have gone--or who are going to Germany this summer or fall and hear things from the guides--would be appreciated!

FYI - My 8 yr old daughter and I spent a pre-trip day in Heidelberg last year. We ended up going to the little zoo in town, which according to our ABD guides, not many folks do. It was a cute little zoo - definitely NOT touristy (therefore, not all signs were in English), but the cab ride there was so expensive, that I'm not sure I could recommend it (although I believe the dollar is a little stronger this summer). Might be nice for a family with younger kids, but think it would only keep you occupied for a couple of hours maximum, and be sure to check the cab fare to judge whether it's worth it! There are quite a few boat trips, and the walking along Philosopher's Way. We only had time for shopping/touring old town and a boat trip on our free afternoon the following day after the ABD tour of the castle. So you might want to go ahead and do one of the above. I think there are also walking tours of old town, which we didn't have as part of ABD, and you can rent bikes for the more adventurous! All of this is walkable from the hotel. Enjoy - I really liked Heidelberg!

FYI - My 8 yr old daughter and I spent a pre-trip day in Heidelberg last year. We ended up going to the little zoo in town, which according to our ABD guides, not many folks do. It was a cute little zoo - definitely NOT touristy (therefore, not all signs were in English), but the cab ride there was so expensive, that I'm not sure I could recommend it (although I believe the dollar is a little stronger this summer). Might be nice for a family with younger kids, but think it would only keep you occupied for a couple of hours maximum, and be sure to check the cab fare to judge whether it's worth it! There are quite a few boat trips, and the walking along Philosopher's Way. We only had time for shopping/touring old town and a boat trip on our free afternoon the following day after the ABD tour of the castle. So you might want to go ahead and do one of the above. I think there are also walking tours of old town, which we didn't have as part of ABD, and you can rent bikes for the more adventurous! All of this is walkable from the hotel. Enjoy - I really liked Heidelberg!

Thanks for the info. I'm planning on doing this trip next (2010) August or September. I was planning on coming in a day early and was wondering what to do.

We JUST got back from New York City- did the Ellis Island thing so my kids know how their great-grandmother came into this country. We are going to Germany to visit family first- where their ggrandmother was born and grew up- so therefore, I haven't done a thing! Not really sure what to pack. I read that people mostly brought shorts and khakis but, I am not really the shorts type- but getting very excited! Good luck with your packing and trip!:banana:

We leave the 6th out of Newark. Starting the 10th you follow us, right!? :cool2: Do we overlap anywhere?

Yes, we start the 10th. I don't know if they put 2 groups together- my 1st ABD. My mother in law is currently stuck in DC missed the connecting flight because of yesterday's weather-:eek:: really hoping that doesn't happen on Wed. Yes, we will have to compare notes! Good luck with your flight and have a great time!:goodvibes

Have a great trip! And if you hear anything...anything at all...about the changes to the schedule for the December trip (including who the guides will be!)...please post when you get back! (I'd also be very interested in your impressions of Munich, since it looks like we'll have a number of days there, including "down" days of Dec 25 and 26).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter