Get a new stroller for 5 and 2?

Arumatherapy

Earning My Ears
Hi! I'm struggling to think of what to do stroller wise for my kiddos for my Disney trip. We're going for my older child's 5th birthday (flying there, staying a week, planning to use Disney transport). Her younger sister will be 2. At home we have a Joovy caboose and a Britax B-agile. I don't really want to take the Joovy because it's the original (not ultralight) and really bulky and heavy. (It's very useful for walking the kids to and from preschool though.) What would you do? Bring just the B-agile and share? Get a rider board for the B-agile? Would it be better to have two separate strollers to cart the kids around if they are split up? ( Lots of adults for this trip so plenty of hands.) Should I get a second stroller - maybe an umbrella type? Heaven forbid - two new umbrella strollers???? Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

I would probably go two strollers, get a second umbrella one that’s light weight. Five year old might surprise you and not need it as much as you think (depends on the kid and your schedule though) but with lots of adults to push that’s probably the easiest and most economical.

Is a double stroller (like a city mini) an option? We 100% needed a stroller for our 5 year old and there was no way I was going to carry a 2 year old while the 5 year old took a break. Are you flying? That's also a concern with having a heavy or not travel worthy stroller. With that in mind I also wouldn't love having two singles either. If both adults have to use both hands to push kids then it makes popcorn or anything else hard to hold. Same if on adult needs to gather food and the other is trying to push both strollers. If they're both umbrella strollers then you don't even have the cupholders or storage space.

In the end you know your kids best! If they will fight needing the stroller then maybe you wont need it. Our oldest is a literal track athlete but standing around waiting for rope drop or fireworks was when the stroller was most needed.

I agree that I wouldn’t want two strollers for all the same reasons. When our kids were those ages we brought an umbrella stroller for the toddler to use in the airport, then rented a City Mini double to have in the parks. If we were just going to dinner or spending a small amount of time somewhere we had the option of using the single.

The "Kids" rented a side-by-side double for our 5 year old grandson AND his 9 year old cousin (they learned quick that she got tired easily. One (1) unit is easier to manage than two. It was a never whining/complaining 8th member of the tribe. It was happy to carry bags, removed clothing, snacks all in addition to the kiddos. And why haul extra stuff from home? Leave the Joovy at home (I have no idea what this is). Take a paper journal and 5 (give or take 2) assorted pens, felt tips, pencils. Enjoy the Magic!!!

I go to Disney all the time and have two girls, 4yo & 2yo. My advice is bring the double stroller you already have or get a cheaper double umbrella stroller. Your kids will need the stroller. Little legs get tired and trying to navigate a large crowd with one little walking can be hard. It can take forever to get from point a to b if my 4yo wants to walk. After a few days in the parks my kids start to get a little cranky/overstimulated and a stroller break with a snack is a godsend.
I had the good idea to bring a single stroller to Epcot one evening last February because I didn’t want to fold the big one on the bus. I didn’t think it would be a big deal because they could both sit in the single. Well, the 2yo fell asleep winch I wasn’t expecting. The 4yo ended up tired with no where to rest. It is also nice to have the double because one adult can do things like pick up food, go to the restroom or browse in a store and the other adult isn’t stuck stationary waiting for the other adult to return and push the second stroller. For example, we always rope drop and my husband gets in line at Starbucks right away. While he is getting our coffee I take the girls around to either sit on the hub grass or stroll through the Emporium.
This is just advice of course. You know your family best.

I’d rent, your five year old won’t need a stroller much longer, I’d rather just have one to push, if you split up your five year old can just walk.

We have been renting a CitiMini for years. It's a great stroller and the extra expense is worth it for us.

At your children's ages the 5yo might not need it much, but better to have the option, than a crying, tired whining child.

A regular umbrella stroller wouldn't work for our needs. Most have little or no recline, small canopies and minimal storage.

It was much more convenient to pick up at hotel rather than airport, but that change isn't a deal breaker for us.

ETA- I never mentioned to do the double rather than 2 singles.

My kids are 4 years apart, and we'll be going down when the older one is 5 and younger one is 20 months (I can't math right now). We're flying down with our daily driver and renting a double for our stay.

Buy a cheap single stroller for the 5 year old. It’s cheaper than renting and if you don’t want to take it back on the plane, trash it or donate it. Like others said, she may not even need it.

Buy a cheap single stroller for the 5 year old. It’s cheaper than renting and if you don’t want to take it back on the plane, trash it or donate it. Like others said, she may not even need it.

I don't know, my almost 5 year old screamed on the streets of Portsmouth NH after a day of walking going "I COMMAND A STROLLER". That made me pretty set on renting a double :rotfl2:

I don't know, my almost 5 year old screamed on the streets of Portsmouth NH after a day of walking going "I COMMAND A STROLLER". That made me pretty set on renting a double :rotfl2:
That’s funny!! I never had a 5 year old at Disney. I took one at 4 that needed a stroller (he didn’t use one at home anymore so we just bought a cheap one to use at Disney) and one at 6 who did not need a stroller. I guess it all depends on the kid and parent preferences.

That’s funny!! I never had a 5 year old at Disney. I took one at 4 that needed a stroller (he didn’t use one at home anymore so we just bought a cheap one to use at Disney) and one at 6 who did not need a stroller. I guess it all depends on the kid and parent preferences.

That was after she told me that I should push her sister so that "daddy can give me a piggyback ride". And then I think she asked us to carry her sister and push us.

Yeah we're renting the double in April so we don't end up at the other end of the World Showcase with a kid who refuses to walk to the monorail.

I took my daughter when she just turned 5, and she definitely needed the stroller. If I were you I'd rent a citi mini double stroller for the week. That way you're only dealing with 1 stroller, and you'll have storage. I think you'd also do well with 2 single strollers for splitting up. There were a few times we split up, and my husband had to carry our son (then age 2) back to the hotel for a nap, and I stayed in the park with my 5 year old and the double stroller.

Citi mini double wide, easy to push. Unless your 5-year old can walk 9 miles a day give them a break from walking once in a while. No umbrella strollers!! You'll thank me! Get it delivered to your hotel. Kingdom Strollers are awesome. It fits on monorail with no problem. Don't get ones at park. They are uncomfortable and bulky.

With two different families, I would get two umbrella strollers and donate them after you are done with them to the resort for someone else to use. When the kids were 4 and 6 we rented an in park double stroller for the amount of days we would be in the parks. We didn't need it for anywhere else so we would just leave it at that park and show your receipt for the next park and get one there. No toting anything around but in your case, the wee one will definitely appreciate the ride :)

I’d rent a double. The 5 year old will likely want to ride quite a bit and the 2 year may need to recline. It’s probably worth the money to rent a double.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter