• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Get Excited: Downtown Disney Has Now Reopened Superthread!

We got through the temperature & bag check right at 10am. They have you put the bags on the table unzipped just like before and the CM goes through the stuff, but now there are plexiglass barriers and the bags slide underneath.

Social distancing is being enforced in the lines. Plenty of CMs and many have voice amplifiers. Masks are being enforced. We were waking toward the esplanade with the Starbucks drinks in our hand and a CM asked DH to pull up his mask while he wasn't actually taking a sip (I'd already pulled mine up). And this was while we were outside! Go Disney! I feel safer here than at Costco or the grocery store.

After Starbucks we searched for the line for World of Disney. There was a lonnnnnnng line you had to get into for making a reservation. It took us about 40 minutes - it wrapped back and forth the length of the esplanade six times! The line was significantly shorter once we got all the way through it. I think it was just all us crazy "opening day" people apparently, lol.

Just sitting in the shade for a moment before heading to Pin Traders. I will post pics once we get home.

Thank you for posting! I have been very curious what opening day in Downtown Disney might be like. (The 45 minute wait to get a return time doesn' t suprise me). It is nice to know that at least a little bit of Disney is opened back up! I am headed down there next weekend, hopefully it remains pleasant. :)

Just saw on Twitter that people aren't social distancing inside of World of Disney:
Hope you're not experiencing any of this behavior and you're having a good time @WonkaKid :-)

ETA: Others have pointed out that Costco is probably just as bad. I guess I've been sheltering myself too much! I haven't been to Costco since March and my grocery stores have been relatively good with distancing.

Last edited:

I thought the Harbor entrance was closed. All the official information from Disney says the only entrance is the one near the DL hotel.

I wanted to check out the anniversary merch at WOD, but my guess it will be gone before I can get down there.
Not sure about that, however I can tell you that I saw a couple carrying about ten bags from WOD that were absolutely stuffed. I suspect they bought as much anniversary merch as they could. When I see someone buying that much, I presume they plan to resell it later on eBay. If that's what they were doing, I hope they get caught. As many here know, that's a violation of Disney's policy. I hate that kind of hoarding/selfishness. I know a CM who's told me that Disney does, indeed, investigate that kind of reselling and does revoke APs when they catch people doing it. Good.

Last edited:
Just saw on Twitter that people aren't social distancing inside of World of Disney:
Hope you're not experiencing any of this behavior and you're having a good time @WonkaKid :-)
Everyone seemed pretty cool but when it first opened, it was impossible to maintain a social distance. Often people were almost close enough to touch me. There were simply too many people in too small an area for that to be practical.

And a few more.

3C6F13BB-48E5-44B1-8C95-56FE987299A5.jpeg

E7678B53-D569-4D6D-8CBD-F0A27BC2F632.jpeg

Some of you will remember No Doubt's "Just A Girl" video. Parts of it were filmed at the band house, which is close to DL. I parked two blocks away from it. Here's a still from the original video...
BD33E551-6B91-4A9C-90F1-A5E11689AFB5.jpeg

...and the house as it looks now (or at least this morning ;-)).
86C9099B-2E3B-462B-8733-5B5708881EE2.jpeg

Moments after my initial post, I saw five or six people that weren't wearing masks. Most of them were far enough from other guests that it was perfectly safe. I presume they'd taken them off simply to eat/drink. However, I did see others that were close enough to clusters of other guests that it made me uncomfortable. I wonder if CMs eventually approached and reminded them of the mask restriction. I had a tea and asked a CM what their recommendation was for guests with drinks. They suggested that we simply lift our masks to drink while the nose is left covered. I also asked some CMs if they had any thoughts about when the parks would reopen. None offered any real insights. One, however, did say "I have hopes but no ideas." Also, the six or seven CMs I spoke with said that (so far) everyone had been cool and well behaved.

One tip for anyone that plans to attend soon. The Starbucks closer to WOD had a long line. However, there's another one closer to the DL hotel and that had no line at all. While they accepted cash, many of the other stores, I was told, would not.

Lastly, lines for everything were long - even snack places. Marceline's Confectionery got busy enough to have a wait list imposed, whereby you left your # and they'd call/text when it was your turn.

I may go again this Sunday morning. With lessons learned from today (I walked the long way around the park - 2.5 miles versus .5 because I didn't know where the DTD entrance was...despite 200+ DL visits ;-)), it'll make things easier. I'll get there no later than around 8:45. I walked into the esplanade almost exactly at 10:00.

Last edited:
I wanted to check out the anniversary merch at WOD, but my guess it will be gone before I can get down there.

Silver lining to that cloud is that we’re probably two weeks away from Disney’s next ‘limited-time get yours now before they run out otherwise you’ll be so sad’ merchandise release. The mouse always comes up with new and frivolous ways to pick our pockets...

They have you put the bags on the table unzipped just like before and the CM goes through the stuff, but now there are plexiglass barriers and the bags slide underneath.
They are still physically going through your stuff (aka touching everything)?

How is the security? Do they still touch your bags?
I didn’t have a bag and there was literally no one else at security so I couldn’t say. However, I took all of the things out of my pocket (phone, wallet, etc) as I was about to step through the scanner and they told me that was no longer necessary. So that will save time :-).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter