Get me excited about the Contemporary

AlohaKeke

Mouseketeer
In relation to my other post - we upgraded to the contemporary so we can be on the monorail but I'm not thrilled about the resort. It seems to have the least theming and least appeal, despite it being a deluxe resort. I've usually stayed at POR or CS in the recent past so this is new.

Tell me, what is cool and exciting about the Contemporary, besides it being on the monorail?

I'm coming with a 3-year-old and a husband who is not excited at all. I feel like I will miss the Disney theming.

Well, I thought I made it pretty clear in my explanation - we want to be on the monorail. The Polynesian is not available and the GF is too expensive for us.

Well, no, you didn't make it pretty clear. Why not try another resort that isn't on the monorail, like WL or YC or BC?

Sorry for not being clear enough -- We like the convenience of the monorail since we will have small child with us. We are only staying for 2 days and are going to MK and HS. For a 3YO, staying on the monorail is a big draw (she's super excited about that specifically).

I'm having a hard time finding posts from people who LOVE the Contemporary, like you can easily find from other resorts, and was hoping to get some positive reviews of it here.

Well, you’re still at Disney which is a huge plus!
Definitely not complaining about that!! I'm thrilled to still be on the monorail and to be so close to MK, but was hoping to find the perks in the Contemporary since it doesn't have as much theming as some of the other resorts.

I think Contemporary has a more subtle Disney-esque theme...but I agree that it might not be as obvious as Poly, GF, AKL, or the other deluxes. But then again, the other deluxes do not have the same vibe as Contemporary. I think a great deal might depend on where you are staying in the Contemporary, as we have always stayed in the "A-Frame," and we have not tried the Garden Wing...so maybe there is a bit of difference that I am not aware of. However, the Contemporary has a bazillion lounges for just kicking-back and relaxing....you can get great views of the Electrical Pageant and fireworks....you can walk from the resort to Magic Kingdom...and there is just something way cool with watching the monorails come right through the resort. And if staying at a monorail resort is a key factor, I do not think there are too many resorts that are more convenient than the Contemporary.

The magic is a bit more subtle because the theme doesn't come off right away. They have a very nice beach area, can walk to MK which is a huge plus and you can see fireworks without having to be in the park. I like that its also just a short ride over to Poly and GF if we're wanting a bit more of a theme.

I'd recommend watching some youtube videos ( the one thetimtracker did about the Contemporary is awesome - he makes it very exciting )

I'll be honest. If you are only staying 2 days, the CR is a great choice. You dont really have a lot of time to spend at the hotel/resort anyway. So no loss there. CR is so fun and exciting for a child. I stayed there 2times as a child and it was amazing to me. They have a great quick service restaurant in there Contempo Cafe. You can go to Chef Mickeys for breakfast and be right there! It's a quick walk to MK. They have a few really nice lively shops to shop in. The rooms are large! They have a nice marina area in the back if you want to rent a water vehicle (We did this). And best of all you can view the fireworks from the hotel (there is a balcony behind the shops that you can watch from there). With a 2 day stay, it's a perfect resort to stay at, without wasting ANY time to get to and from MK. IMO, to stay at the POLY for ex, for 2 days would be a tease anyway, in the sense that you wouldn't really have any time to enjoy the resort if you are going to the MK or any park. HTH

I LOVE The CR. I never understand why people say there’s no theming to it. To me, The CR is Disney. I guess if you can’t see that then I probably won’t convince you, but here goes in no particular order.

*It was one of the original two hotels built in WDW. Watch a YouTube video about how they built it. It was an incredible feat of engineering.

*The monorail goes right through it. Doesn’t get more Disney than the monorail.

*You can walk to the MK (and back!). You don’t have to wait for a bus and schlep all your stuff in it. Just tuck everything under the basket in your stroller, and go.

*The theme park view rooms are so amazing. There is nothing like waking up THAT close to the MK and seeing the castle and watching the train start up for the day. Or laying in bed and watching the fireworks at night.

*Chef Mickey’s. If you don’t have an ADR here, you should. It’s a must-do for any three year old and it’s RIGHT there.

*The pool had plenty of chairs and plenty of shade. My kids have always loved the slide there too.

*Contempo Cafe is a great QS location and they have some delicious desserts.

I could go on and on, but maybe you get the idea. Or maybe not? And that’s cool too. But I would never stay somewhere I was that unenthused about.

Last edited:
Being able to walk to Magic Kingdom especially with a toddler is huge!! Some of the largest rooms on property - instant entertainment with the monorail - great dining. California Grill -the restaurant and the lounge, the Wave - a good breakfast buffet. Watching fireworks and a gorgeous view of Bay Lake. As far a the theme goes - it is much more simplistic in my view but still very comfortable.

It has an interesting history which is definitely all about Disney. Being the first resorts on property, the building of the Contemporary and the Polynesian were directly overseen by Roy O. Disney. Walt was very interested in showcasing new technologies - hence the monorail and the Contemporary resort. The rooms of the resort were built - dresser drawers and all off site and then actually slid into place - in that time a new kind of building process which is really what Disney is all about - creativity and ingenuity. There is a gorgeous mural done in the atrium by the artist that created "It's a Small World" - another really creative and inspiring work.

So, all things considered, the Contemporary is a very "Disney" resort, expressing the heart of what Walt Disney was all about. So thinking of it that way, I hope your stay there is "extra magical"!!

I think it depends on your preferences. MY family does not want to stay at the "Retro" however DH and I have very fond memories of our stays in the tower. I am not sure how to get you excited to stay there though, because you already are not enthusiastic about it. I would say that you look at the benefits, just as you have already done, and if you love it once you arrive, that is a bonus.

1st time I stayed at Contemporary was the year it opened and the most recent was last year - and a bunch of times in between. The monorail traveling through the tower is EPIC Disney, especially at night. The rooms are bigger than almost all the other resorts - the parking is easier. You can WALK home from MK if there is a long monorail line. You get a really good view of the electrical parade. What's not to like?
I have also stayed Poly, CB, PO, POR, OKW, WL multiple stays at each - and The Contemporary is one of my top two. Go enjoy!

When I think of WDW, I think of the Contemporary, hands down. It's an icon. It wouldn't be Disney without it. I have such memories of it as a child that we always stop in there on our trips today even if we aren't having dinner. Just because I need to. I even tear up when I walk in. :)

In relation to my other post - we upgraded to the contemporary so we can be on the monorail but I'm not thrilled about the resort. It seems to have the least theming and least appeal, despite it being a deluxe resort. I've usually stayed at POR or CS in the recent past so this is new.

Tell me, what is cool and exciting about the Contemporary, besides it being on the monorail?

I'm coming with a 3-year-old and a husband who is not excited at all. I feel like I will miss the Disney theming.

The Contemporary is a great choice. It's on the monorail system, which is a huge plus with small kids. It has a great little arcade, small convenience store, and two shops with loads of Disney merch. There is Chef Mickey right in the atrium that my kids absolutely loved when they were little. The Wave is a great choice for dinner and if you're feeling like you want an extra special dinner experience, go to California Grill at the top of the Contemporary. Delicious food and extensive wine list. Great kids menu too. Make your reservation later in the evening (if your little one can last) and watch the fireworks from the top of the building. There are 2 pools and other water features for the kids to run through. There are water sports (speed boats, parasailing, tubing), camp fires and marshmallow roasting, and movies on the lawn. And the electric water pageant passes behind the building every night. If I had a choice between the Contemporary or POR/CS, I'd choose Contemporary every time.

Thank you all! That's really what I needed to hear.

I've stayed there when I was very small and I do visit Chef Mickey's, or at least the shops there, every time I've gone since..so I guess it is iconic for me, I just viewed the hotel itself as a bit bland.

I appreciate the genuine responses!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter