Get Well Gift for Grown Man - Not Food

indimom

Are We There Yet?
The title says it all, I guess. My BIL has been ill for some time, in and out of the hospital, feels pretty darn bad most days. On a very particular diet. Sleeps an issue. Nausea is an issue. And it looks like this is going to be a very long haul. I want to do something for him, but I'm struggling with good ideas for comfort, stress relief, distraction that a man would appreciate.

All I've got right now:
Shoulder wrap that can be used hot or cold.
Blanket and/or slippers.
Maybe something massage related would be nice, but I'm not sure what?
Aromatherapy? Would a 50+ guy use that?? I know some are useful for nausea and sleep, but I just don't know if a guy would even try that?
Music? Sound Machine? (He's not a big music guy normally, but maybe it would help with relaxation? I was thinking a gift card so he can download something he liked?? for his phone or whatever?)
I don't think he'd be into puzzles or crosswords? But if there's some sort of time burning distraction, that would be good.
I honestly wondered about some of the adult Lego sets??

His hobbies were always basketball, volleyball and camping. No real "inside" or restful hobbies.
I'm just at a loss.

Any thoughts?

The title says it all, I guess. My BIL has been ill for some time, in and out of the hospital, feels pretty darn bad most days. On a very particular diet. Sleeps an issue. Nausea is an issue. And it looks like this is going to be a very long haul. I want to do something for him, but I'm struggling with good ideas for comfort, stress relief, distraction that a man would appreciate.

All I've got right now:
Shoulder wrap that can be used hot or cold.
Blanket and/or slippers.
Maybe something massage related would be nice, but I'm not sure what?
Aromatherapy? Would a 50+ guy use that?? I know some are useful for nausea and sleep, but I just don't know if a guy would even try that?
Music? Sound Machine? (He's not a big music guy normally, but maybe it would help with relaxation? I was thinking a gift card so he can download something he liked?? for his phone or whatever?)
I don't think he'd be into puzzles or crosswords? But if there's some sort of time burning distraction, that would be good.

His hobbies were always basketball, volleyball and camping. No real "inside" or restful hobbies.
I'm just at a loss.

Any thoughts?

Hook him up with all the basketball tournament stuff they are and will be happening in Indianapolis. I know if my bro was sick like that.....it's the only thing that would matter to him or spring baseball.

Good luck, Indimom. :love:

PS5 if you can find one, so he can sit on the couch and play video games like a kid.

I think I could find one of those... I'll do a little digging. Thank you.

Hook him up with all the basketball tournament stuff they are and will be happening in Indianapolis. I know if my bro was sick like that.....it's the only thing that would matter to him or spring baseball.

Good luck, Indimom. :love:

What types of things do you suggest, I'm... ummm... a hoosier who is not really into sports or basketball. :blush:

sports magazine

Good idea. That should be easy enough to find too. I don't think he gets any regular magazines. Thanks.

Maybe a subscription to a streaming channel that he doesn't already have, like perhaps the Outdoor Channel?

I'll ask my sister. I'm not sure what they may or may not have. Thank you.

My husband's work buddies sent him a LEGO Apollo spacecraft kit while he was out recovering from surgery. He's never been a particular LEGO fan but it was a HUGE hit.

I think he really liked having something to tinker with and a project to focus on instead of just feeling crummy all the time. It was just the right level of difficult to keep him occupied and give him the satisfaction of completing it without being frustrating or overly tedious.

Good luck with whatever you choose! This is a very nice thing you're doing.

Maybe some very comfortable pajama sets or some sweats for resting on the couch during the day? Comfortable, warm, easy to wear, not as much of a hassle as clothes.
When DH's uncle had cancer and was recovering from surgery and treatment, we gave him several sets of very comfortable pajamas (flannel, thick and thin) and several sets of sweats. The poor man's pajamas were see-through thin (like decades old!) and he had never owned any sweats ever. At first, he wasn't all that sure what to do with our gift -- "Why do I need these?" in typical grumpy old guy fashion. But after he started trying them out, he never looked back. I don't think we ever saw him in anything but flannel pjs or sweats for the next few years, even after he recovered.

I third a Nintendo switch, if you want to spend that kind of money. Otherwise, Lego is a great idea although it can be uncomfortable to sit up at a table for hours on end while assembling them, so if he can't comfortably sit at a table for long periods, maybe not lego.

My husband's work buddies sent him a LEGO Apollo spacecraft kit while he was out recovering from surgery. He's never been a particular LEGO fan but it was a HUGE hit.

I think he really liked having something to tinker with and a project to focus on instead of just feeling crummy all the time. It was just the right level of difficult to keep him occupied and give him the satisfaction of completing it without being frustrating or overly tedious.

Good luck with whatever you choose! This is a very nice thing you're doing.

What you said about the right level of difficult was what I was thinking, that plus you can work awhile, set it aside. I think I'll do some digging into what types of unique options there are. I know I've seen monuments and more mature models. Thank you.

A Nintendo switch it’s portable but can also be hooked up to the TV. There’s lots of fun games and even access to retro ones with the online subscription.

I'll check into this system too. My kids never had portable gaming systems (and they're grown now), but my nephews have, they can probably help me out deciding which would be best. Shoot they may have one they aren't using anymore. :idea: Thank you.

A biography about his favorite sports player?

I'm definitely going to look into some reading material. I don't think he's been a big book reader in the past; but, he's not working right now so he's also going to have more time on his hands than he's had in the past. Thank you.

Maybe some very comfortable pajama sets or some sweats for resting on the couch during the day? Comfortable, warm, easy to wear, not as much of a hassle as clothes.
When DH's uncle had cancer and was recovering from surgery and treatment, we gave him several sets of very comfortable pajamas (flannel, thick and thin) and several sets of sweats. The poor man's pajamas were see-through thin (like decades old!) and he had never owned any sweats ever. At first, he wasn't all that sure what to do with our gift -- "Why do I need these?" in typical grumpy old guy fashion. But after he started trying them out, he never looked back. I don't think we ever saw him in anything but flannel pjs or sweats for the next few years, even after he recovered.

That's a good point. He probably has some sleep pants, but he may find he's wearing them much more often, so a couple extra pairs would be helpful. Thank you.

I, too, was going to suggest this. My adult son has a Nintendo Switch and really likes it.

Nintendo or PSS, that is the question. :)

I third a Nintendo switch, if you want to spend that kind of money. Otherwise, Lego is a great idea although it can be uncomfortable to sit up at a table for hours on end while assembling them, so if he can't comfortably sit at a table for long periods, maybe not lego.

Looks like Nintendo is passing by the PSS by now... :)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The cost isn't a huge factor as my sisters and mother are also going to pitch in on something. He's a great guy and we just feel terrible that he's going through all of this; and, know it's got to be frustrating and scary and so much more. We just want to do something/anything that could help him feel a little better right now.

A bunch of people recommend a video game. I will not get him one you said nausea is a issue. Video games will probably only make it worse.

A bunch of people recommend a video game. I will not get him one you said nausea is a issue. Video games will probably only make it worse.

Not necessarily. I have never had an issue playing Nintendo while feeling nauseous. In fact, I like to play video games when I feel sick like that because it helps me to focus on something else. You can play on the actual handheld, so the screen is small.

I love my robe...I love my fingerless gloves...I love warm cotton socks...(all 3 washable and dryable - BIG help here:))...

I know we're heading into spring/summer, but if this is a long haul thing, having items which are very soft, comfy, and can warm someone up is priceless (said as a current cancer patient).

I also live on ginger, but you said no food. But when I have GI issues, I'm always going for ginger tea with raw honey...I mainline tea all day, really, but I add the ginger when needed:)...

For entertainment, I would look at gifting a subscription plan...maybe Paramount+ for the NCAA's if he doesn't have cable...maybe ESPN+ or Peacock for other sports...

If he doesn't have an easy way to stream these on a tv, maybe an Amazon Fire Stick...

PS - I also LOVE my new living room snuggler recliner (when I'm nauseous and I can't sleep even on pillows in bed, I head there), but that's kinda a big buy, and one that needs to fit in a house:)...

Neck pillow, so he can sleep in a chair or recliner or couch if needed. Or a bed pillow, for the back support so he can sit up in bed. A wedge pillow if it's a leg/hip related surgery.

slip on slippers (if you know his shoe size)

Kindle or books

Snuggly blanket

a bedside/couch storage organizer? ya know, those things that go over the arm of the chair to keep things in easy reach? they can hold glasses, remotes, pens, phones, etc

you said no food, but what about a tervis mug/bottle? I have several, and the metal ones keep things warm or cold very well. Or a cup with flexible straws.

lap desk? to hold his laptop or whatever

dry shampoo

button up shirts are easier than pull over shirts after surgeries (usually)

Headphones! He can listen to podcasts or music without distrubing others.

More a gift for the family, but a housekeeping service? Not having to clean house might help with some of the stress for the family. Or a food delivery service, to help cut down on cooking/meal prep/shopping time.

You say he's not a big reader,but maybe an Amazon gift card for Kindle Books? Loads of different types of reading material.

I do think reading could be a good option; and, he could enjoy reading more since he's going to have time on his hands. I know I enjoy reading more when my life is a bit slower.

FYI - I don’t know your budget, but the Nintendo Switch will be less $ than a PS5 and easier to get.

Good to know. Thank you.

Hmm, I didn't think of that. My husband gets a lot of nausea from the action of video games on the television. Luckily, I think we can test drive this before spending any big money because a couple of the nephews have handheld game systems he could try out if he's interested. Thank You.

Not necessarily. I have never had an issue playing Nintendo while feeling nauseous. In fact, I like to play video games when I feel sick like that because it helps me to focus on something else. You can play on the actual handheld, so the screen is small.

Yeah, the smaller size may make a difference. I know my husband struggles with nausea on a large screen tv, but does ok with smaller screens. We'll just have to do a trial run if he's interested. Thank you.

I love my robe...I love my fingerless gloves...I love warm cotton socks...(all 3 washable and dryable - BIG help here:))...I know we're heading into spring/summer, but if this is a long haul thing, having items which are very soft, comfy, and can warm someone up is priceless (said as a current cancer patient).
I also live on ginger, but you said no food. But when I have GI issues, I'm always going for ginger tea with raw honey...I mainline tea all day, really, but I add the ginger when needed:)...
For entertainment, I would look at gifting a subscription plan...maybe Paramount+ for the NCAA's if he doesn't have cable...maybe ESPN+ or Peacock for other sports...
If he doesn't have an easy way to stream these on a tv, maybe an Amazon Fire Stick...
PS - I also LOVE my new living room snuggler recliner (when I'm nauseous and I can't sleep even on pillows in bed, I head there), but that's kinda a big buy, and one that needs to fit in a house:)...

Thank you for the ideas, this is where I have zero knowledge, lol, never even heard of Peacock. I'll check into those. He's definitely a sports guy. Luckily, they just bought a recliner for him because he couldn't sleep lying down and was so restless and uncomfortable. Thank you for all of your ideas and suggestions.

Neck pillow, so he can sleep in a chair or recliner or couch if needed. Or a bed pillow, for the back support so he can sit up in bed. A wedge pillow if it's a leg/hip related surgery.
slip on slippers (if you know his shoe size)
Kindle or books
Snuggly blanket
a bedside/couch storage organizer? ya know, those things that go over the arm of the chair to keep things in easy reach? they can hold glasses, remotes, pens, phones, etc
you said no food, but what about a tervis mug/bottle? I have several, and the metal ones keep things warm or cold very well. Or a cup with flexible straws.
lap desk? to hold his laptop or whatever
dry shampoo
button up shirts are easier than pull over shirts after surgeries (usually)
Headphones! He can listen to podcasts or music without distrubing others.
More a gift for the family, but a housekeeping service? Not having to clean house might help with some of the stress for the family. Or a food delivery service, to help cut down on cooking/meal prep/shopping time.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, the items to make his recliner into a table/workspace/sleep space, are all great ones. I can definitely do that because when he's home, that's where he is spending most of his time. And headphones are a great idea too since he's living, eating, sleeping, etc in the living room. Thank you so much.

Thanks again to everyone for sharing your suggestions. He's currently at the hospital, but they hope he'll be able to go home again in a day or two. He's got a lot going on, lots of symptoms to contend with, and a very long road ahead of him. If you are so inclined, prayers are greatly appreciated as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter